U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

i'm sure that thing of not being allowed to show academy games at the same time as Premier League games was overruled. It's apparently being streamed on their official site, but probably an hassle to access, maybe behind a paywall.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

i'm sure that thing of not being allowed to show academy games at the same time as Premier League games was overruled. It's apparently being streamed on their official site, but probably an hassle to access, maybe behind a paywall.

Not on their Burnley+ thing either apparently.

Massive Monday done.

Friday 22nd
19:00 Stoke City(5->5)   0-0 Burnley(6->6)
19:00 Notts Forest(4->3) 1-1 Middlesbrough(12->12)

Monday 25th
19:00 Burnley(6->6)      2-1 Aston Villa(9->10)
19:00 Newcastle(7->8)    2-4 Southampton(8->7)
19:00 Reading(14->14)    3-1 Fulham(1->1)
19:00 Sunderland(13->12) 2-1 sha(11->11)
19:00 West Brom(10->9)   3-2 Norwich City(4->5)
19:00 Wolves(2->2)       2-2 Stoke City(5->3)

We did our usual. A comparitively old starting 11 (18.93 y/o), the 4th oldest of the season despite having no first team ringers in it managed to lose to a side who, in fairness, were far more motivated having playoff ambitions.  Burnley's win puts them within touching distance of the playoffs, just 5 goals outside it with an away tie again Champions Fulham to go.  Norwich stumbled to defeat at the Baggies, dropping them to 5th and the brink of missing out. Stoke's draw with 2nd placed Wolves in the end was enough to 'catapult' them from 5th to 3rd.  Only 1pt separating 3rd from 6th.

The best we can hope for now is 8th.

In PL2/1, Chelsea won and Leeds lost, meaning Chelsea are now in the drop zone by only 1pt, with a game in hand.

who am i to judge but i dont get why the 3 on the bench saturday didnt then play last night, why they dont float between the 2 teams, not sure if its a mental thing or a resentment thing or what but it doesnt make sense to me personally 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

who am i to judge but i dont get why the 3 on the bench saturday didnt then play last night, why they dont float between the 2 teams, not sure if its a mental thing or a resentment thing or what but it doesnt make sense to me personally 

Even some of the older players. Ings and maybe Nakamba and some others can do with minutes. 

• Like 1

My guess would be that we didn't think it was worth risking injury to the likes of Chrisene, Iroegbunam, Tommi O'Reilly, or Chukwuemeka, in a game that doesn't matter, and potentially jeopardizing their chances of getting valuable first team experience between now and the end of the season.

If there's nothing to play for U23 games this time of year become more about looking at which players might be good enough to step up from the U18s next season giving them some experience, and also the fringe players tend to get more game time, maybe the club allowing them to play to try and help them attract offers in the summer, as it's good for us if the players we let go go on to have good careers elsewhere.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Struggling to link the story for some reason, but mail say we are in talks for a 15yr old midfielder from Hearts called Ewan Simpson

The final gameweek kicks off this Friday.  Teams in playoff contention are in blue. Obviously they leave the best 'til last.

Friday
19:00 sha(11)           v Notts Forest(4)
19:00 Fulham(1)         v Burnley(6)
19:00 Norwich City(5)   v Wolves(2)
19:00 Stoke City(3)     v West Brom(9)

Sunday
13:00 Middlesbrough(13) v Reading(14)
14:00 Southampton(7)    v Sunderland(12)

Monday
12:30 Aston Villa(10)   v Newcastle Utd(8)

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Talk of the league going to an U21 format next season (with a limited number of over 21 players) - should suit us.

It certainly won't hurt us, but from the cursory glances I usually give our opposition it seems most of the league have been doing that too anyway.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Talk of the league going to an U21 format next season (with a limited number of over 21 players) - should suit us.

Would make sense - particularly now that the 5 sub rule coming in would mean that players on the periphery have more chance of getting some minutes now.