U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you mean a place on the first team bench?

I think we have shown great trust in Iroegbunam, he’s been given a new 5 year contract and a place on the first team bench. I haven’t seen him play but Noel has given me glowing reports about him

No, the U23's bench. Tonight we've got a keeper, two centre backs and a midfielder and we never seem to fill the bench. We've got players like Sinisalo and Iroegbunam who aren't going to make the first team bench for our next game (Tim has been nudged out by Nakamba) that we don't use and then a whole group of young players that could have gone up and given Delaney options.

We've got a massive group of talented youngsters - a load on loan, some training with the first team, some injured, some playing with the U23's, some playing with the U18's and it always seems like a bunch not doing anything but training. 

I have absolute faith in Delaney, Harrison and co to be doing the right thing for our young talents, but it always seems odd to me that they don't make more use of games.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

No, the U23's bench. Tonight we've got a keeper, two centre backs and a midfielder and we never seem to fill the bench. We've got players like Sinisalo and Iroegbunam who aren't going to make the first team bench for our next game (Tim has been nudged out by Nakamba) that we don't use and then a whole group of young players that could have gone up and given Delaney options.

We've got a massive group of talented youngsters - a load on loan, some training with the first team, some injured, some playing with the U23's, some playing with the U18's and it always seems like a bunch not doing anything but training. 

I have absolute faith in Delaney, Harrison and co to be doing the right thing for our young talents, but it always seems odd to me that they don't make more use of games.

To me the best of the bunch, those closest to actually breaking through are the ones who are playing the least football this season which can't be good

Said many times the u23 games should be Sundays and Mondays, chuk makes a PL bench Saturday afternoon and he's still perfectly capable of playing the U23s the day after 

Not sure how many games chuk has played, seems like he's played a full 90 less than 10 times at any level 

I don't necessarily agree that the answer is get him out on loan, there should be a solution where he trians with the first team, makes the bench but is alsoa available for youth football

I think we would have been expecting Burchall and Shakpoke to be involved with the U23s by now, but unfortunately injuries have blocked their progress, at least Burchall is back now, but probably not ready to be involved with two games in the space of three days, Mikell Barns is another who I think might have been involved with the U23s by now as well, but again unfortunately his season was cut short through an injury.

I did wonder if we might see Kellyman on the bench today, and surprised no Afoka either, but none of the players who played on Saturday for the U18s involved today.

• Like 1

Friday 08/04
19:00 Burnley(9->8)         5-1 Newcastle(6->6)

Friday 15/04
14:00 Middlesbrough(12->12) 0-3 Wolves(5->2)
19:00 Burnley(8->6)         3-2 West Brom(8->10)

Monday 18/04
19:00 Sunderland(13->13)    1-3 Aston Villa(10->9)
19:00 Wolves(2->2)          4-2 Newcastle(6->7)

Front page stats updated.

A very good couple of day for Wolves who win twice over the weekend and all but secure their place in the playoffs in the process.  We're probably mathematically out of it now given who has to play each other still. Playoff battle would seem to be from Newcastle in 7th upwards now.

Brad Young becomes our top scorer this season with his goal last night.  His brace of assists puts him behind only Caleb in the assists chart too.  Most of our u23 side are between 18 & 19 years old so there's no rush on moving them but it'll be interesting to see what happens them this summer because they're clearly at the age where upper management start to make decisions about them.  You'd think the elder statesmen like Bridge (22 in September), D.Revan(22 in September) & Vassilev (22 next Feb) would be moved on in some way.

Next up, round 25 of 26.

Friday 22nd
19:00 Stoke City(5->5)   0-0 Burnley(6->6)
19:00 Notts Forest(4->3) 1-1 Middlesbrough(12->12)

Monday 25th
19:00 Burnley(6)     v Aston Villa(9)
19:00 Newcastle(7)   v Southampton(8)
19:00 Reading(14)    v Fulham(1)
19:00 Sunderland(13) v sha(11)
19:00 West Brom(10)  v Norwich City(4)
19:00 Wolves(2)      v Stoke City(5)

Derby are coming down to join us in PL2/2 and one of Chelsea or Leeds will be joining them. Currently Chelsea 4pts behind Leeds with a game in hand and then both have 2 games left.

Chrisene, Iroegbunam, Chukwuemeka, Tommi O'Reilly, Brad Young, and Lindley all played at the weekend for the first team in the 5-1 against Brentford. Good to see Chrisene involved in particular as thought he might be injured again.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

A very good couple of day for Wolves who win twice over the weekend and all but secure their place in the playoffs in the process.  We're probably mathematically out of it now given who has to play each other still. Playoff battle would seem to be from Newcastle in 7th upwards now.

Still doable, just, I think, but very unlikely.

We need to finish above Burnley, Stoke, Newcastle and Soton, discounting Forest because of their much superior GD. That means we need 38 points, or to win both of our games against Burnley and Newcastle unsurprisingly.

Now, Stoke can’t get a single point more so they’ll have to lose to Burnley and WBA, who can win also win both games and not catch us. But this will put Burnley on 38 points and a better GD, so they better only win by a single goal then lose heavily to us and finally to Fulham (possible).

Finally, us beating Newcastle as already assumed takes it out of their hands regardless of their other result, while Southampton would have to drop at least 2. That could therefore be against Newcastle themselves, or against Sunderland (less likely).

Edited by fightoffyour

Friday 22nd
19:00 Stoke City(5->5)   0-0 Burnley(6->6)

Very cagey on Friday. Sets it up for a massive Monday.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Friday 22nd
19:00 Stoke City(5->5)   0-0 Burnley(6->6)

Very cagey on Friday. Sets it up for a massive Monday.

That’s us now mathematically unable to reach the playoffs then.

Are we going three at the back with wing backs there?

If we are, it'll be interesting because Gerrard wants the U23's to play the same way as the first team, so it could be that it's something he's thinking about.

I don't recall seeing much of Alcock before.