Tammy Abraham

nick76

11 minutes ago, Chine said:

Has a bid gone in ?

Who knows. We've entered a weird twilight zone of circular arguments which will now run for the next 100,000 years regardless of if he signs until eventually another player coincidentally also called Tammy Abraham will be linked with us from Mars United.  He will be generally acknowledged as the greatest player in the Universe Super League and Villa fans will be united in our desire to sign him.  However he will sign for Tamworth and this thread will be moved to other football but not quite at quickly as the Milot Rashica thread was. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

A jack of all trades is often times better than a master of one. We play with 3 AM/W so a striker who cna bring them into play and get them to score more goals is much better than a striker who will score 3 more goals over the course of the season especially if they are a backup striker.

Different games require different tactics and different tactics require different players.

What I do see is people cherry picking stats to suit their narrative and have nothing to do with a player and whether he can do a job for the team. 

If Tammy was 90% shit at his game, we would be playing park football with his mates not Champions League football.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think Abraham is better than Watkins?

Abraham’s best season in the Premier League is 15 goals in 34 matches. Ollie’s best is 14 in 37.

Abraham’s best season in the Championship is 25 goals in 37 matches. Ollie’s best is 25 in 46.

And Tammy is two years younger.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Who knows. We've entered a weird twilight zone of circular arguments which will now run for the next 100,000 years regardless of if he signs until eventually another player coincidentally also called Tammy Abraham will be linked with us from Mars United.  He will be generally acknowledged as the greatest player in the Universe Super League and Villa fans will be united in our desire to sign him.  However he will sign for Tamworth and this thread will be moved to other football but not quite at quickly as the Milot Rashica thread was. 

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Enda said:

Abraham’s best season in the Premier League is 15 goals in 34 matches. Ollie’s best is 14 in 37.

Abraham’s best season in the Championship is 25 goals in 37 matches. Ollie’s best is 25 in 46.

Wow you have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons now!

Some stats to back it up as well….this is going to get interesting.

• Like 1

It is true though that Tammy had a poor year last year, and Ollie offers more defensively. But in terms of putting the ball in the net? Tammy’s got the better record.

24 minutes ago, Enda said:

We don’t need another striker that scores goals because Watkins will never, ever, ever get injured or have a dip in form, ever.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

It is true though that Tammy had a poor year last year, and Ollie offers more defensively. But in terms of putting the ball in the net? Tammy’s got the better record.

Interesting…

Ollie PL 20/21 - 3329 mins - 1 goal every 238 minutes plus 5 assists

Tammy PL 20/21 - 1033 mins - 1 goal every 172 minutes plus 2 assists

Tammy PL 19/20 - 2222 mins - 1 goal every 148 minutes plus 4 assists

Ollie’s all round play is much better than Tammy’s obviously but that strike rate difference is bigger than I thought.

Just interesting to see…

36 minutes ago, Enda said:

Even as an ardent resident of the Anti Signing Tammy club, I have no riposte to this … That cannot be argued against when laid bare like that… Delving deeper into the stat analysis & percentiles it may be a slight different tale… But yeah Tammy’s stats have been very impressive to date no doubt. I just don’t believe he can keep it up and goal return will diminish from here on in … Just don’t see the attraction to spend £35/40mill on him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enda said:

You can’t base who’s better for our (key word here) system solely on that , Jack Grealish has 6 goals this season Elghazi has 10 and Bertrand Traore has 8 so that makes them better?  Yes Im ignoring chance creation and assists purposely.  Ollie brings more to the table in terms of his pressing and off the ball work for the team , Tbh I have no issues with us signing Tammy to compete with Ollie but if it where a choice between one or the other I would take Ollie 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

Different games require different tactics and different tactics require different players.

What I do see is people cherry picking stats to suit their narrative and have nothing to do with a player and whether he can do a job for the team. 

If Tammy was 90% shit at his game, we would be playing park football with his mates not Champions League football.

I said shit (relative to Premier league quality) at 90% of the game. He is very good at scoring goals and getting in goalscoring positions. Also he isn't getting champions league football is he because Tuchel doesn't think he is good enough. 

14 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

chelsea dont give him a fair chance

He was actually doing well but then inexplicably frozen out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

You can’t base who’s better for (key word here) system solely on that , Jack Grealish has 6 goals this season Elghazi has 10 and Bertrand Traore has 8 so that makes them better?  Yes Im ignoring chance creation and assists purposely.  Ollie brings more to the table in terms of his pressing and off the ball work for the team , Tbh I have no issues with us signing Tammy to compete with Ollie but if it where a choice between one or the other I would take Ollie 

Also Watkins can pass and create for others. Had like 7 expected assist this season. Tammy is in like the 20th percentile for Forwards for xA. 

Edited by MotoMkali

Maybe the strike rate is better because he has played in a stronger side with more possession and dominance of the ball… with more technical and creative players who create more chances, better quality and rate of service too. He played for the side that went on to win the CL…

Surprised no one mentioned this…

For them to have comparable strike rates actually puts Ollie in an even better light especially when his overall game is much better and he plays in a weaker side…. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a stat showing that he received drastically less and poorer quality service…

Stats never tell the full story… 

When Jack was injured, Ollie barely received any service at all but he was far from anonymous. He’s the most tireless and determined player in the league, always offers something in a game…

Don’t forget that it was also Ollie’s debut PL season. I don’t think there is any real justification for anyone to confidently state that Tammy is better than Ollie, it’s just not the case.

Just now, sidcow said:

He was actually doing well but then inexplicably frozen out. 

There is a difference between scoring goals and doing well. Tammy abraham is the very embodiment of that difference. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Maybe the strike rate is better because he has played in a stronger side with more possession and dominance of the ball… with more technical and creative players who create more chances, better quality and rate of service too. He played for the side that went on to win the CL…

Surprised no one mentioned this…

For them to have comparable strike rates actually puts Ollie in an even better light especially when his overall game is much better and he plays in a weaker side…. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a stat showing that he received drastically less and poorer quality service…

Stats never tell the full story… 

When Jack was injured, Ollie barely received any service at all but he was far from anonymous. He’s the most tireless and determined player in the league, always offers something in a game…

Don’t forget that it was also Ollie’s debut PL season. I don’t think there is any real justification for anyone to confidently state that Tammy is better than Ollie, it’s just not the case.

Didn't Jack have the best chance creation stats other than De Bruyne.  Watching his videos he lays tons of chances on for Tammy.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Didn't Jack have the best chance creation stats other than De Bruyne.  Watching his videos he lays tons of chances on for Tammy.

And he missed 1/3 of the season. And not all of those go to Watkins.

Our chance creation outside Jack is relatively poor. So when he was missing our attack atrophied to the point we were scoring fewer than 1 goal a game for a decent period of time. 

• Thanks 1

Â