Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

59 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I think we will see Buendia on the bench more next season along with McGinn, Ramsey and maybe Luiz too.

You don't want Europe conference but think we're going to sign a bunch of players that will just walk into the first team (which is horrible idea for many reasons).

Makes little sense

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Thug said:

It’s very odd.  Now I agree that he didn’t have one of his better games, BUT

I think the fairest analysis is from the non biased view of the opposition.  Reading the spurs game thread there were a couple of references:

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/aston-villa-vs-tottenham-hotspur-sat-13th-may-3pm.47989/page-33#post-3883583

‘The difference between the sides is Buendia. I'm sitting up high in the stand here’

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/aston-villa-vs-tottenham-hotspur-sat-13th-may-3pm.47989/page-38#post-3883691

‘Buendia is class’

Not bad for someone who was ‘poor again today’

Yep, fair enough. 

He’s our obvious weak link though for me. If we get his position right in the Summer, we’ll be unstoppable! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep, fair enough. 

He’s our obvious weak link though for me. If we get his position right in the Summer, we’ll be unstoppable! 

Agree, think saying weakest link doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad player but his position, along with RW is the one that I look at and think there's loads of talent out there meaning we can do better

Said in the Watkins thread I think a proper out and out goalscoring striker is hard to find and there will be a lot of competition for that player, comparatively an upgrade in Buendias role shouldn't be

There was a few times I thought to myself if Jack was in that position the ball isn’t over hit.

For example Ramsey was through on goal but the ball over hit relatively easy for a premier league player to find him there , second half Watkins through makes an exceptional run but Buendia smashes the ball forward when he didn’t need to. 

There were a few other occasions when that happened. 

Other than that I thought it was a 7/10 performance and he really contributed positively to the win. His off the ball work is exceptional.

But his arm waving is annoying recently. Maybe he’s going through something at home? 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

There was a few times I thought to myself if Jack was in that position the ball isn’t over hit.

For example Ramsey was through on goal but the ball over hit relatively easy for a premier league player to find him there , second half Watkins through makes an exceptional run but Buendia smashes the ball forward when he didn’t need to. 

Other than that I thought it was a 7/10 performance and he really contributed positively to the win. His off the ball work is exceptional.

But his arm waving is annoying recently. Maybe he’s going through something at home? 

A bat infestation perhaps?

Fearandloathing Batcountry GIF - Fearandloathing Batcountry Fly - Discover  & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep, fair enough. 

He has always had an excellent impact off the bench so if we replace him we're in a better place.

48 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He has always had an excellent impact off the bench so if we replace him we're in a better place.

When was that? He's probably played the majority of minutes of the squad since Emery joined bar he gives him a rest around the 80 mark in a team that's 4th in the table since Emery joined. What were the games off the bench where he had impact because I've seen it posted more than a few times and I think people are making it up

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Buendia seems to really split opinion. I rate him.

I think it comes down to what you think he’s meant to be doing in the team.

If you’re focused on the end product around the box, then yes I can see that too often it doesn’t come off … doesn’t quite get the weight of the pass right, doesn’t score enough goals. Those are fair criticisms.

But I think the way Unai uses him is as more of a linkup player in the transition, all over the pitch, with his fantastic work rate and confidence receiving the ball. It’s the stuff he does deeper that always impresses me, very quickly turning defence into attack with a little turn or touch, and then helping the team drive up the pitch.

I’m struggling to think of a comparable player in that respect, and I think it’s no coincidence that he has been a regular starter when we’ve been in exceptional form.

But I also agree there are players out there who will deliver that final ball and / or score goals more efficiently than him. We have one in our own squad already in Coutinho. But I’d rather start Buendia over Coutinho.

In Echegaray's interview with Emery, the latter named him, unprompted, as a 'great player' - so it's clear that the boss really rates him. 

I agree with what you're saying about him. You lose a little bit of polish at times in terms of attack sometimes, but you gain so much in the middle with him on the pitch - in the transition, ball recovery, and high press phases, for example. He's both a linker and worker and having a player who can be involved as much as he is on and off the ball, is very valuable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Buendia seems to really split opinion. I rate him.

I think it comes down to what you think he’s meant to be doing in the team.

If you’re focused on the end product around the box, then yes I can see that too often it doesn’t come off … doesn’t quite get the weight of the pass right, doesn’t score enough goals. Those are fair criticisms.

But I think the way Unai uses him is as more of a linkup player in the transition, all over the pitch, with his fantastic work rate and confidence receiving the ball. It’s the stuff he does deeper that always impresses me, very quickly turning defence into attack with a little turn or touch, and then helping the team drive up the pitch.

I’m struggling to think of a comparable player in that respect, and I think it’s no coincidence that he has been a regular starter when we’ve been in exceptional form.

But I also agree there are players out there who will deliver that final ball and / or score goals more efficiently than him. We have one in our own squad already in Coutinho. But I’d rather start Buendia over Coutinho.

That’s it in a nutshell.  Depends on what you want.  Very rare you have both in a player.  I don’t think the Coutinho type will suit an Emery team.

Buendia reminds me abit of what Dirt Kuyt used to bring to Liverpool.  He got alot of abuse from the fans when he was there.  They didn’t properly realize what they had to he was gone.  Cult hero there now

• Like 2

That dispossession of the Spurs player in the final 3rd was almost the highlight of the game for me and if Forster doesn't tip it over people would be waxing lyrical but we beat Spurs and he didn't score or assist and people still shitting on him. Does my head in

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That dispossession of the Spurs player in the final 3rd was almost the highlight of the game for me and if Forster doesn't tip it over people would be waxing lyrical but we beat Spurs and he didn't score or assist and people still shitting on him. Does my head in

Same! He’s such an integral part of this team, no way does he need replacing. With better players ahead of him making better runs we’d be an absolute nightmare to play against.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not sure which Ramsey pass you're referring to but he played one perfectly to him. But he was then tackled.

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Not sure which Ramsey pass you're referring to but he played one perfectly to him. But he was then tackled.

The volleyed pass about 25/30 yards out but too far ahead of JJ. He also played about 6/7 perfect passes which resulted in a chance or a tackle from a spurs player. 

• Like 1

Thought he actually played well yesterday, was unlucky not to score after hitting the bar and the left foot shot was well saved. Didn't lose the ball much and involved in good moments of play.

Still feel the same as before though, upgrade needed in summer with Buendia more a squad player next season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

There was one where he was to the left of the D and lobbed it over slightly to the left of the goal. Was the right pass but he overhit it (and Ramsey is quick).

In those positions I’d have more faith in someone like Dougie to pick the right pass.

However, Emi’s ability to get into those positions, and see those passes, is second to none. It’s just that final execution sometimes that lets him down.

I firmly believe he will be a regular starter next season, though. Emery rates him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Poor again. 

I know this in jest but he varied from couldn’t be arsed to press, taking too long when we had an opportunity in the final third, and then hustling back to block a cross within our 18, then immediately losing it in our own third. 

I think the thing he won’t ever be able to fix is that he’s just not that good in the final third. In transition and linking up play against unbothered opposition, he can thrive. 

But opponents know he can rarely beat his marker and can get suckered into trying to do too much and losing the ball. 

His versatility will keep him rotated in the lineup as well as his defensive application but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was moved whenever we hit 1 year on his contract. 

Â