Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

On 07/05/2023 at 13:50, KentVillan said:

Buendia was a key part of our recent run of form which was top 4ish in the league. We have a couple of bad results and now he needs replacing.

I see his flaws, and I think we need to sign another one or two options in the attacking mid positions, but come on… selling him this summer? Why? He’ll be a regular starter next season. Emery clearly trusts him.

I can't speak for others. But I have never said sell him. The reality is he, Coutinho, and Bailey are the best we have in the attacking positions behind Watkins. To sell them when we don't have better is foolish. 

The problem is none them on current evidence are good enough to elevate the team to a top 6 team which is the goal. So we first need to bring in superior players in their positions. Then once we have established that we have superior players to them, then we can move the on. 

My plan would be, sign a new no10 and right wide forward in the summer, then make Bailey and Buendia compete with them for a season. Then if the 2 new player out perform Bailey and Buendia, sell Bailey and Buendia, and replace them with really talented younger players.

The run we have had before the 2 losses in a row, was built on organisation, and being strong defensively and in central midfield. As well as Watkins hot streak in front of goal. The reality is our most productive attacker after Watkins has been Moreno.  Every thing good going forward has come down the left, and the lynchpin of that has been Moreno. Ramsey and Buendia have link well with Moreno at times, but Moreno has been the danger man.

Whoever has played behind Watkins hasn't offered enough, and that must be addressed this summer.

44 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Ings tried it but he wasn't quick enough to get in behind so he'd have to peel off! 

The strikers you mentioned are inferior to Watkins. 

There is nothing to get. A part from Buendia is not that good.  We have seen first hand what a quality operator is in Grealish. Buendia isn't anywhere that class. But that or at least near it is what we require in that no10 role. 

For an average midtable team which we are really, Buendia is alright. But if we want to be better than that, he isn't fit for purpose!

Will just have to agree to disagree :)

Surprised to see he rated highest on the team on wshocored and sofascore against Wolves.

While I think he hasn't played well recently, it's a more damning indictment on the rest of the team that if the opponents focus on swarming Buendia, they can really shut down the creativity. Said it in another thread but keys to Unai's system are the wide players as they will frequently be 1v1 and have to win these duels. Buendia in the half space is going to have a lot more to deal with him around them so we really need Moreno and whatever we trot out at RW to to win their 1v1's.

If you look at the other teams that play similar systems to Unai in the final third (Arsenal, City, Brighton, Barcelona) - you really need some elite outside players to break down low blocks.

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

He also lost the ball numerous times and had multiple tantrums over it. I like him, I do but I don’t think he should be an automatic starter next season.

I don’t disagree,  playing week in week out exposed some of our players rotating and possibly playing in Europe next season will benefit the likes of Buendia and Bailey, more time on the ball in European matches and sitting out some premier league matches. But let’s not count our chickens before they hatch.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

He also lost the ball numerous times and had multiple tantrums over it. I like him, I do but I don’t think he should be an automatic starter next season.

I know this is something commonly thrown out after games but I don’t think he got dispossessed this game? 

Thought he had a quiet game overall but played some nice passes, hit the crossbar and tested the keeper and played within himself instead of trying to do too much. 

• Like 2

Never will be convinced by Buendia but can’t knock his effort. We need more than effort though in the final third. Don’t think it will be that difficult to find a decent upgrade on him which in itself isn’t great considering he’s our record signing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Poor today I thought again. 

Good ball to Watkins for Bailey chance and excellent steal before his shot that was tipped over and we beat Spurs but you do you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He works his bollocks off for the team.

I like that 

I think that point is very important to our set up. There aren’t many 10’s in the PL that work as hard as Buendia, that will sometimes find themselves tracking back to help the fullbacks out. 

So even when it isn’t particularly clicking for him offensively it’s an important part of the team jigsaw. 

Â