Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Such nonsense. Look, you’ve chosen your avatar and you’re sticking by it, but blaming Watkins for Buendias poor performances, regardless of whether you rate Buendia or not, is laughable.

Not blaming him, even said Buendia is often sloppy and that Watkins gives us so much.

But do you honestly think Watkins makes those deadly runs in the ilk of an Ings or Pukki? No, that's a fact. It's surface level thinking if you can't see the difference in Buendia when he was playing with Ings VS Watkins.

And if I had a pound for every laughable opinion you've posted on here, I'd buy the club and make the decisions myself.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I wish he would stop trying to use his body in possession to try and prevent the opposition from getting the ball. He is one of the smallest players on the pitch, has zero strength and usually gets dispossessed. You don't see other players with similar stature trying to do it... They use their technical ability to keep the ball and he should do the same. 

• Like 3

For me - he's a good player to bring on for the last 20 - 30 minutes when the game is opening up and players are getting a bit tired.  But I can't see him starting for us regularly next season if we want to be challenging for Europe next season.  We need someone who will be getting 10 goals a season alongside Watkins so that teams can't just try and keep Ollie quiet.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We should go out and get Hogan with all his intelligent runs. 

Oh **** it begins. His running was amazing but usually away from where the ball was and where it was going 😂

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes a far more rounded view. 

But completely wrong - he's had more than one bad day at the office, he was just as bad against Fulham for example.  I do applaud his willingness to try the difficult chance creating pass, as I do with McGinn, but my brother and I call him the nearly man because his passes are usually nearly great but often just not quite, either under hit or over hit.  The fact is he loses the ball far too often to be first choice in a top 8 PL team relying on a possession based approach.  That's not scapegoating. it's stating verifiable facts.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, El Segundo said:

But completely wrong - he's had more than one bad day at the office, he was just as bad against Fulham for example.  I do applaud his willingness to try the difficult chance creating pass, as I do with McGinn, but my brother and I call him the nearly man because his passes are usually nearly great but often just not quite, either under hit or over hit.  The fact is he loses the ball far too often to be first choice in a top 8 PL team relying on a possession based approach.  That's not scapegoating. it's stating verifiable facts.  

Buendia apologist here.

Your last couple of sentences is spot on. He has a major weakness in retaining possession when put under immediate pressure as soon as he receives it - particularly in the middle of the park and with his back to goal.

His passing in the last 2 games has been wayward but he does try the more adventurous passes. It's great when it comes off and a lot of good play still goes through him.

I suspect Emery can work with him on his decision making and get him to move the ball quicker when under pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buendia is such a likeable player. But he also has some severe limitations.

For me he is a backup no10 at best. Does have an eye for a through ball, works hard, presses relentlessly. But on the flipside, doesn't take in the game situation when deciding what to do with the ball, tries to shield the ball with his small frame. When the through ball isn't on tends to overplay, as he holds on to it too long looking for the penetrative pass, instead of keeping the ball moving. Defensively he is a nuisance, rather than having any real ability to defend. There simply isn't enough thought to his game, for someone his size and speed to be a consistent threat to opposition defences.

The reality is when the much maligned Bailey is fit, Buendia only starts half the games. Why, because neither of them have done enough to make that place their own. Buendia huffs and puffs, but when the defences are solid he just runs into bricks wall all game. He lacks that extra bit of quality. Ironically another much maligned player in Coutinho is easily superior to him, but is injury prone and so even less reliable.

If we get that quality wide forward we are obviously after along with the wide central midfielder we also seem to be after Buendia will simply be a squad option.

• Like 1

For me, in the game against United, what pissed me off the most was him walking back, not trying to get the ball back on several occasions, even with United players running past him close by...not even try to put them under pressure. 

7 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Just leaving this here as thought it quite apt for Little Emi. He’s trying things to make things happen mostly in the final 3rd. 

Yes 100% a total meaningless stat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Just leaving this here as thought it quite apt for Little Emi. He’s trying things to make things happen mostly in the final 3rd. 

It's no good if he's losing the ball before he gets a chance to even turn round though. He needs to buck up.

Overall, he's been below par since Emery arrived, having shone like a beacon when we were looking gash under Gerrard.

I see the value in KDB's perspective. It's true. Living a life without risk, is to risk not living a life. Same goes for the way we play football and it's why the Brazilian's have emphasised creativity in their academies rather than strict tactical doctrines, since way back when.

At the same time I do appreciate the view that Emi Buendia might opt to use his skills and nous rather than his body because he does get dispossessed quite easily with that approach. He doesn't have a caboose that McGinn has.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Overall, he's been below par since Emery arrived, having shone like a beacon when we were looking gash under Gerrard.

That's horseshit. Has he been poor last few while everyone complains about squad depth and tiredness? Yes

Has he been key player in our top form since Emery joined? Also yes

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's horseshit. Has he been poor last few while everyone complains about squad depth and tiredness? Yes

Nowhere near key player. He has made some positive contributions, but far from key player. He has a role to play, but he MUST be improved on, or he needs to improve dramatically.

• Haha 1

I've certainly not criticised Emi for giving the ball away trying to make things happen. That's what I like about him, in the final third he's always probing, always looking to slip people through, and yes sometimes it's one touch and it doesn't work but it's fine, he's trying to open people up

The pass completion thing and possession is because Emi surrenders possession often when not playing risky passes...it's playing the sideways passes or backwards lay offs to teammates. He's so sloppy.  I want him to get it right because he works hard, he's a joy to watch and he does have the quality.....but if you're as sloppy as he is on the ball he won't play next season. Emery will **** him off and it's that simple.

There's no options at the minute. He's going to end up doing himself out the team.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He has. Not every single game, but overall he's been disappointing. He went from comfortably our best player to inconsistent and sloppy.

A spot in next season's starting XI is up for grabs as this season comes to an end. Some are really making a great case that they can stay in the team. McGinn, Mings, Konsa, Watkins - they'll be making Emery think if he does need that new signing in that position. Buendia has been given that chance and not done it yet. I hope he gets MOTM every game in the run in and fires us to the Europa.

Â