Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

55 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Is there a reason he was on the left?

McGinn is left footed, Buendia is right footed - yet they played on the opposite sides. Considering we don't play with out-and-out wingers, that baffled me.

I know cutting inside and unleashing a shot is a thing but so is wrapping around, getting to the byline and crossing/squaring/backpassing with your dominant foot

I'm sure Emery will have had a very well detailed reason for it.

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

McGinn is left footed, Buendia is right footed - yet they played on the opposite sides. Considering we don't play with out-and-out wingers, that baffled me.

I know cutting inside and unleashing a shot is a thing but so is wrapping around, getting to the byline and crossing/squaring/backpassing with your dominant foot

Neither McGinn or Buendia do that hence they are inverted in the set up. Also neither are wingers.

He isn't worth what we paid for him. To me is a better but still ineffective expensive Carlos Gil. End product is missing lots. Lots of fancy play where it doesn't matter but at the decisive times in the final third he produced nothing.

See the difference with Liverpool's attackers for end product when it matters (except Nunez lol)

Edited by Pissflaps

Starting to feel like yet ANOTHER expensive flop. We need to throw tons of money at anyone who is good at recruitment. No team wastes money quite the way Villa does. Bailey, Ings, Buendia, Digne, Coutinho, Watkins all for in the £160-170m ballpark and all of them probably aren’t up to it and could be moved on. Just blows my mind. Throw in the gazillions spent on the likes of Trezeguet, Traore, McCormack, Hogan and countless other examples and it just makes me want to cry. 

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Starting to feel like yet ANOTHER expensive flop. We need to throw tons of money at anyone who is good at recruitment. No team wastes money quite the way Villa does. Bailey, Ings, Buendia, Digne, Coutinho, Watkins all for in the £160-170m ballpark and all of them probably aren’t up to it and could be moved on. Just blows my mind. Throw in the gazillions spent on the likes of Trezeguet, Traore, McCormack, Hogan and countless other examples and it just makes me want to cry. 

Couple of different groups you've got there IMO.

Bailey, Watkins & Buendia for under £100m is fine IMO. Expensive, but they are all top half PL players. And their wages will not be over £100k, any of them.

Ings, Digne, Coutinho for £70m. Plus all on over £125k. A joke. None made sense. They all were huge gambles with about 10% chance of success. All declining.

I've not watched a lot of him recently but he was a bargain for you.

For us he was heart of our team though so if he's more peripheral here you might not be seeing his full potential. He's one of those players that needs to be touching the ball regularly and knitting things together. He was almost as effective defensively as he was offensively in his time here.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Naaaaarch said:

For us he was heart of our team though so if he's more peripheral here you might not be seeing his full potential. He's one of those players that needs to be touching the ball regularly and knitting things together. He was almost as effective defensively as he was offensively in his time here.

To be fair though, no one here cares what he did at Norwich.

I'm sure you wouldn't be interested if I insisted Dean Smith is a very good manager.

He was great under Gerrard because there was no tactics. He could be creative with his movement and make things happen. He regularly shone as everyone else stunk.

He's struggled so far for the ultra 'system-based' Emery. I think it's restricting him, but he's got to buck up and figure it out because the team looks 10x better. I think he will eventually.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

To be fair though, no one here cares what he did at Norwich.

I'm sure you wouldn't be interested if I insisted Dean Smith is a very good manager.

He was great under Gerrard because there was no tactics. He could be creative with his movement and make things happen. He regularly shone as everyone else stunk.

He's struggled so far for the ultra 'system-based' Emery. I think it's restricting him, but he's got to buck up and figure it out because the team looks 10x better. I think he will eventually.

That's fair, probably wouldn't have even posted in this thread if I didn't see him being called a flop alongside the likes of Ross McCormack. 

I will say that Daniel Farke was a very system based manager too so it's not that alone. Obviously it's a different sort of system though.

• Like 1

i really like Buendia, he does run hot and cold in terms of one minute he looks class, and the other he cant hold the ball for toffee, or misplaces a pass, but i do wonder if his limited game time over the last 12+ months has impacted his match sharpness, as well as the sh*t Gerrard tactics that the whole squad was subject to clearly didnt help the vast majority of our players, i guess only time will tell.

What i will say though, however much i like Buendia and other Villa players, i really dont care if Emery keeps X, Y, Z player or offloads/replaces them, i have personally had enough of this group of players flattering to deceive, talking the good game and not delivering time after time, or turning it around for a few games just to slip back in to the old habits.

If they do step up and improve under Emery, thats great and i welcome it, but if they dont, tbh im behind Emery, not the players, at least for now, if he wants to shoot any of them off in a cannon and replace them, im ok with that, if they cant do it under Emery, thats on them as far as im concerned.

I really think this is the first time, in a long, long time, that you really cant question the CV of our manager, so the players need to step up or move aside tbh.

i do like Buendia though, his technical ability added to his tenacity and workrate, make him an easy player to like imo.

(no Villa players were hurt in the Cannon Firing event).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

On 28/12/2022 at 11:35, Anything11 said:

Neither McGinn or Buendia do that hence they are inverted in the set up. Also neither are wingers.

Nor are they ever likely too if they are inverted. Crossing with your non-natural foot doesn't usually go well....

... and neither does shooting.

Buendia's big chance went the wrong side of the post - but it was his less-dominant foot.

McGinn's chance left him in 2 minds: Head the ball or attempt a volley/shot with his right foot. In the end, he did neither.

Even Bailey's 2nd chance was on his weaker foot coming in from the right.

Now you could argue we wouldn't have those chances if they weren't inverted and that may be true.

Still, food for thought.

10 hours ago, Naaaaarch said:

It was a different league to be fair. Even when he excelled for you in Premier league it’s completely different expectation.  He needs to do a lot more as a record signing.

On 27/12/2022 at 23:25, ozvillafan said:

To be fair two of our best chances came from Mcginn moving the ball to his left and dinking it over to Oli. So in that respect it was working. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think he’s one we’ll entertain offers for in the Summer. Not sure who would take him off us for the fee we’d want (£25m+?)

I think he signed for 30m + 6-8m in add ons. I would imagine the add ons amount to zero at the moment and he has 18m of book value left in his contract. 

He'll be easy to move on if Emery wants to. I can't see Coutinho Bailey and Buendia staying here past summer. Coutinho imo is better than Buendia if Emery gets him back to form while Bailey offers pace in counter and probably a higher ceiling. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

Buendia was really poor against Liverpool but no way am I giving up on him.

He needs a run of games with a consistent way of playing around him.

Bags of talent. 

Really? I’ve seen this line pedalled out a lot, along with people claiming he needs to play on the right of a front 3.

Ultimately, he isn’t going to get a run of games unless he’s performing. At this level, you can’t afford to have players that ‘need a run of games’ to get up to their ‘level’, unless they’re young. Buendia is our record buy and was a hugely expensive purchase for the club. He needs to come in and perform in the position he’s asked to play - no excuses. People say he was poor against Liverpool - granted - but I’ve seen that performance plenty of times over the last 18 months. He needs to be better or leave. If you lot want top 8, we’ll need better than Buendia. 

• Like 1

Â