VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Went to a record fair today. It was alright, not been to one before. I was slightly phased by the way all the different stall holders catalogue / display their stuff. That whole genre thing, where basically from what I can now tell there are several standard categories for filing mostly based around what version of rock / classic rock / metal / nu metal / 80’s metal / 90’s rock the vendor thinks something is. I found this surprisingly distressing. But I have realised there is an awful lot of Iron Maiden and Bob Marley vinyl in the world. 

Off in the corner was a lovely man selling folk records, and Welsh language stuff. Managed to find a brand new I Ka Ching label sampler album for £20 so the trip out paid off in the end.

I can’t help feeling discogs on a smartphone has somewhat spoiled the game.

• Like 2

Did one in bonn Octoberish from memory, they are weird things, it was basically independent sellers and shops emptying their shop on to a couple of tables, I was there at the opening of the doors and I'm glad I was cos the busier it got thr more uncomfortable I felt, also thought it doesn't lend itself to finding something and thinking if I find nothing else I'll go back for it, it changes the way I like to browse in record shops

Found it largely generic, lots of repetition and huge sections of it that I personally had no interest in, the usual suspects of Bowie, Dylan, beatles and stones, I was looking for some soul stuff and there was next to none of it

Also found that at around a quarter of a way round I'd spent as much as I wanted to and was ready to leave

Did a different kind of one in digbeth about 10 years back that was kind of like excess stock based, some guy with 10 boxes of a record selling them for a reduced price, all new stuff, that was easier to browse with less pressure and some absolute bargains too

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The backlash that Glastonburys headliners are all white men

Maybe it just is what it is...

Its a fair backlash, but that's the industry now and not Glastonbury. Taylor Swift is busy, Madonna is busy, Lizzo is 1-2 years off headliner, Lil Nas X is an album away. Its the market, Glastonbury have a look and need to think who is a headliner and the market has dictated that its mainly white men. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Starting to piss me off now. Glastonbury is a rock festival. Rock music is dominated by white male bands.  It's either the fault of the industry or the fault of the consumers, but Glastonbury can't change it. 

It's their business to put on a big show with the biggest bands.  They've changed their format which does make it more likely to have female acts but let's face it, Glastonbury would not in fact be Glastonbury if they had Blackpink or some girlband headlining. 

There are very few female acts suitable and big enough to headline it.  Some have and others aren't available. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Starting to piss me off now. Glastonbury is a rock festival. Rock music is dominated by white male bands.  It's either the fault of the industry or the fault of the consumers, but Glastonbury can't change it. 

It's their business to put on a big show with the biggest bands.  They've changed their format which does make it more likely to have female acts but let's face it, Glastonbury would not in fact be Glastonbury if they had Blackpink or some girlband headlining. 

There are very few female acts suitable and big enough to headline it.  Some have and others aren't available. 

Its quite some distance away from a rock festival, and at some point I fully expect them to have Blackpink or BTS headlining. To come back to it being a rock festival, I am lost why you might think that.

Just now, Seat68 said:

I am lost why you might think that.

To be fair for years it was. Probably sometime in the late 90's it started to transition into a larger scale T in the park. 

I mean Adele headlined on Saturday night so at this point it is just a "music" festival. 

1 minute ago, VBM said:

To be fair for years it was. Probably sometime in the late 90's it started to transition into a larger scale T in the park. 

I mean Adele headlined on Saturday night so at this point it is just a "music" festival. 

I dispute this, there has always been a number of traditional rock acts on the main stage line up, a number. The second stage has always been geared to the NME crowd, but other stages were broadly not traditional rock music, be that folk, jazz or reggae influenced. They cater for multiple genres. 1989 main stage contained Adamski, Neville Brothers, Green on red, De la soul, ladysmith black mambazo, ry cooder, flaco jiminez. But more so in the last 30 years they have become even more diverse.

They first introduced the second stage in 1985. Its a ridiculously diverse line up on that stage, apart from a handful of acts, all from other genres, thats the same year that Hugh Masakela closed the weekend on the main stage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There's an article today about the F1 Drive to Survive series not having enough women in it :lol:  I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

Look, I take it back. 

I've no idea why they are **** around booking the likes of Arctic Monkeys and Guns N'Ross and Elton John when there are oodles of female pop acts they could book. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Reminds me that at the Brits they had a genderless best artist category this time but there was an uproar that no female acts were nominated.  I don't know whether they expect a certain quota of male/female/non-binary acts but then that kind of defeats the object of them all being judged on merit.  It was always possible that they were all male or all female for that matter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VBM said:

I mean, no.

Sinead O’Connor headlined in 1990. They had Joan Baez, Peter Gabriel, Weather Report back in the 70s /80s.

It’s always been eclectic. It’s a performing arts festival, not a music festival.

The idea that it’s always been a Mecca for plodding guitar lad bands is a coked up fantasy pushed by Noel Gallagher, but it’s never been true.

• Like 2

Â