Happy St George’s Day to you all

Follyfoot

I’m finding it harder and harder to be proud of being English as each year goes by. I remember people used to mock countries in Europe for being so far behind us and they have utterly overtaken us in a lot of important ways. Cleaner, more prosperous, safer, better standard of living. Maybe it’s a side effect of living in a built up city on a plebs wage perhaps? I don’t know.  

The country just seems nasty these days. From the top downwards. Deep down the good people want to change things but all feel broken and beaten by those who punch downwards and the people they riled up in to supporting them. It’s all broken for a lot of people. 

Edited by Ingram85

Georgie is also the patron saint of Bulgaria among others. So that’s a National day for @AVFC_Hitz I think?

I’m part Bulgarian. As I was born in England, I just need to catch syphilis in order to complete the St George hat trick.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Pride is a bullshit emotion (as as its flipside, shame). 

What's to be proud of in an accident of birth? 

like much about England, mainly because it's what I'm familiar with. I don't have any desire to live elsewhere. Other countries would be better in some ways, worse in others. 

But what are patriots proud of? History? It's a tangled mess of positive and negative stuff, but whatever it is, 'we' had nothing to do with it. 

Celebrate good things, acknowledge bad ones, regardless of artificially created borders. 

And flags and national anthems can do one. 

Pride in one's manners and those of your children, pride of your appearance, the pride of achieving something your thought impossible etc,  Lack of pride is the home of the degenerate . 

17 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Pride in one's manners and those of your children, pride of your appearance, the pride of achieving something your thought impossible etc,  Lack of pride is the home of the degenerate . 

Manners are a given. If you don't have them, learn them, and people will like you more. Nothing to be 'proud' of. 

Personal achievements? Yes, they are satisfying. Enjoyable. They make me feel happy. Not proud - too much like blowing your own trumpet for my liking (modesty is such a British thing, eh?) And it overshadows the contributions of others - as a Beach Boys song had it, "You need a mess of help to stand alone" (yes, Margaret, there is such a thing as society). 

Pride in our children? Same thing - it suggests that they owe it all to us - 'competitive dad' syndrome. As above, I'm delighted and happy for my kids when good things happen to them. I don't puff out my chest and say "That's MY girl". 

Maybe we're just arguing over words, but I've always been deeply suspicious of the concept of pride. 

As I said above, shame is the other side of the same coin. If you've done something bad, acknowledge it, apologise, learn from it, and move on. And we shouldn't be apologising for what our ancestors and forebears did. I didn't massacre anybody at Amritsar or Drogheda, nor did our current army or government, nor did anybody alive today. Write it up in the history books, make sure current generations learn about it, and make sure not to repeat it. Apologising now is ridiculous. 

It's all the same irrational bullshit. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Manners are a given. If you don't have them, learn them, and people will like you more. Nothing to be 'proud' of. 

Personal achievements? Yes, they are satisfying. Enjoyable. They make me feel happy. Not proud - too much like blowing your own trumpet for my liking (modesty is such a British thing, eh?) And it overshadows the contributions of others - as a Beach Boys song had it, "You need a mess of help to stand alone" (yes, Margaret, there is such a thing as society). 

Pride in our children? Same thing - it suggests that they owe it all to us - 'competitive dad' syndrome. As above, I'm delighted and happy for my kids when good things happen to them. I don't puff out my chest and say "That's MY girl". 

Maybe we're just arguing over words, but I've always been deeply suspicious of the concept of pride. 

As I said above, shame is the other side of the same coin. If you've done something bad, acknowledge it, apologise, learn from it, and move on. And we shouldn't be apologising for what our ancestors and forebears did. I didn't massacre anybody at Amritsar or Drogheda, nor did our current army or government, nor did anybody alive today. Write it up in the history books, make sure current generations learn about it, and make sure not to repeat it. Apologising now is ridiculous. 

It's all the same irrational bullshit. 

I think we are arguing over words, your happy is the same feeling as my pride by the looks, makes neither of us right or wrong and neither should be suspicious of the other. 

Example, 8/9000 of us singing 'We're proud of you' to the team at Everton on Graham Taylors final game when we came runners up. It meant an awful lot to the team to hear such praise which also made them happy but certainly an element of pride involved on our part to relay your message, much better then chanting 'We're happy with you' 

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I read a lot about my local history, none of it makes me feel proud to English, I just like the history and the buildings.

Exactly this. 

• Like 1

I love aspects of English (British) life and culture, but I highly suspect that if I had been born in France or wherever, I’d equally find aspects of that life & culture to love. I just like the English stuff more because I’m obviously far more familiar with it. I’d equally dislike some aspects of living in France, like I do in England.

Looking at a nice picture of Alnwick Castle or Lake Windermere is fine, I can appreciate the beauty and am happy that it’s (relatively) close by, but it stirs a similar response in me as seeing pictures of the Dordogne Valley does. 

I could get misty-eyed thinking about Shakespeare or Edward Jenner, but if I had been born around 400 miles South East from here, I’d presumably be getting wistful about Dumas and Pascal. 

It’s arbitrary, I guess is my point. 

Additionally, the supposedly unique English/British persona of fair play, stiff upper lip, all that stuff. Yeah you can find me examples to “prove” that (if you cherry pick the good bits and ignore a shit load of other stuff), but are you telling me that people in, say, Iceland don’t believe in fair play? Or that people in Nepal are incapable of stoicism? 

Nonsense.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Genie said:

This is true.

Unfortunately in England the bare chested, pissed up, fighting, Tommy Robinson supporting, Brexiteer, away day football fans have ruined flying a flag or being proud to be English.

It is a very good observation and one that can be detrimental to your own morale given any thought; it was for mine on many occasions during my lifetime. Thankfully I do not come across these degenerate types so much anymore although it took an extravagant move in order to achieve it! 

• Like 1

Â