Happy St George’s Day to you all

Follyfoot

I'm with the OP. The older I get, the less I want to leave England, even for a holiday. 

The day does not get enough recognition so Happy St George's Day to all. 

I'll be on St Austell Tribute rather than Carling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, knoppy1987 said:

The day does not get enough recognition so Happy St George's Day to all. 

This is true.

Unfortunately in England the bare chested, pissed up, fighting, Tommy Robinson supporting, Brexiteer, away day football fans have ruined flying a flag or being proud to be English.

• Like 4

Not sure I can express how I feel about St. George and England and all that. 

We're surely lucky to have been born/live in a very developed country, with a good education system and decent infrastructure - there are even lots of genuinely decent, nice people around.

But a lot of it all seems to have been drowned out by ignorant people who shout really loudly about how much prouder they are of being English than everyone else. 

If you're not waving flags around, having tattoos of the flag then you're not a patriot. 

The separation in this country over the last 10/15 years, in all manner of metrics is quite dispiriting and saddening.  I still feel as though Olympics 2012 was a wonderful month for the country, and "cool Britannia" seems like a different lifetime ago.

There are so many niggling issues that need to be addressed to bring people together, but we seem hell-bent on maintaining "us/them" on anything and everything - from sport, to the royal family, to politics and music - for literally anything there is an opposing force, who just have to make themselves heard.  I think there was a golden era of being able to tell someone (if they hadn't already understood how it worked yet) to just "shut up, no one cares". 

Now we have to care about everything and it's quite exhausting.  

That said, all of these issues do need discussing and I could make the conscious decision to opt out of any of them, but they are becoming unavoidable, because of how inter-connected we all are. 

I honestly think everyone is just a bit bored.  What is there to look forward to as a country?  What are we aiming for?  What events are planned?  Just all feels a bit "meh". 

Happy St. George's day, to anyone who can be arsed. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is true.

Unfortunately in England the bare chested, pissed up, fighting, Tommy Robinson supporting, Brexiteer, away day football fans have ruined flying a flag or being proud to be English.

Not for me they have not. 

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is true.

Apart from Brexit a lot of those are much diluted to even a decade a go. The minority can not tarnish the many millions of decent multi cultural proud English men, women and children 

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I honestly think everyone is just a bit bored.  What is there to look forward to as a country?  What are we aiming for?  What events are planned?  Just all feels a bit "meh". 

Come ON

b2022-logo.jpg

• Haha 2

Yeah happy Roman soldier of Greek / Turkish / Palestinian descent day. Apparently he was really brave in slaying a dragon in Libya

If you could get these in the UK I might have one tonight but alas I'll be drinking a Czech Stout instead

300px-%D7%91%D7%99%D7%A8%D7%94_%D7%98%D7

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah happy Roman soldier of Greek / Turkish / Palestinian descent day. Apparently he was really brave in slaying a dragon in Libya

If you could get these in the UK I might have one tonight but alas I'll be drinking a Czech Stout instead

300px-%D7%91%D7%99%D7%A8%D7%94_%D7%98%D7

Was going to put up pretty much your first sentence on a spoiler tag marked '@Bickster Response' earlier

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

Â