Happy St George’s Day to you all

Follyfoot

19 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

But in this instance it’s 1,000,000 miles away there is a 16 year backstory to my post which I won’t bore you with

Any other emotion than pride would not be right if that makes sense

Yeah and like I intimated, if “pride” is what you feel, great. Not that you need me to tell you that, my opinion on the matter is less than irrelevant.

My point was more on the idea that I should look at Cheddar Gorge, the angel of the north, or closer to home for me, Ironbridge and my heart should swell with national pride is a bit odd.

I appreciate that Ironbridge is close by, I like that there’s a site of reasonable historical importance near to me and I can bore my daughter about it’s significance when she’s older. But it doesn’t provoke “pride”.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Update on ‘pride’ 

My lad who has really struggling in his team scored a screamer from outside the box to win them a cup game with virtually the last kick of the match and was mobbed by his team mates at the end. 

The team WhatsApp group is pinging every five minutes with messages of encouragement 

Sorry ‘being pleased for’ really does not cut it

Proud, you bet 

As Mark A says, this is probably more a case of semantics. I'm sure I feel the same emotions about my kids that you do about yours, but because the 'P' word is so tied up with nationalist breast beating, I've come to dislike that word, and be rather suspicious of the emotion under some circumstances. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

People who have pride in their Christianity amuse me

And here we have the big one, Christianity and all religion appears a nonsensical idea, however science breaks down eventually and cannot explain a lot of what we see around us. It’s all well and good to be dismissive of Christianity and religion in general but until you can answer the fundamental questions of creation I would personally edge my bets.That’s my take on it and if there is anything in it my open mind will see me upstairs whilst the likes of you are having hot pokers shoved up your arse for the rest of time. It’s the sensible bet covering both win or lose. 

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

And here we have the big one, Christianity and all religion appears a nonsensical idea, however science breaks down eventually and cannot explain a lot of what we see around us. It’s all well and good to be dismissive of Christianity and religion in general but until you can answer the fundamental questions of creation I would personally edge my bets.That’s my take on it and if there is anything in it my open mind will see me upstairs whilst the likes of you are having hot pokers shoved up your arse for the rest of time. It’s the sensible bet covering both win or lose. 

Oi you, Pascal wants his wager back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Oi you, Pascal wants his wager back.

Good lad Pascal, used to drink down the crown and cushion when we won the league

• Like 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

That's another one that went right over your head. Pride is one of (if not the most) deadly of the Seven deadly sins (as the other 6 stem from it)

Somebody else might bite on your other rubbish, I'm not in the mood

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

That's another one that went right over your head. Pride is one of (if not the most) deadly of the Seven deadly sins (as the other 6 stem from it)

Somebody else might bite on your other rubbish, I'm not in the mood

The Apple does not fall far from the tree😀😉

goodnight

Â