Breakaway League

Jareth

I think this is even worse given that we have managed to get promoted and reestablish ourselves in the prem, before the drawbridge has been pulled up.

We had some many chances to join the elite teams in the 90s and and 00s but blew it and now the slim chance of getting there has probably gone forever.

I hate modern football.

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Serious question to everyone:

If Villa's owners joined this super league in one of the remaining spots, would you stop supporting the club?  I think many of us would be outraged for a few years, but we'd get over it and continue supporting Villa, no matter which league they played in.  

I’d give more of my time to my hometown club,  Cheltenham Town.

I love watching football matches for the potential surprises, especially in the PL which is so competitive. This new proposal will take a lot of that away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

If Villa's owners joined this super league in one of the remaining spots, would you stop supporting the club?  I think many of us would be outraged for a few years, but we'd get over it and continue supporting Villa, no matter which league they played in.  

Honestly? I would follow Villa to the new league but find a second team to support for the CL and PL football. But we are not in the mix so I can point the finger at the leaving six teams fans guilt free :) 

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think this is even worse given that we have managed to get promoted and reestablish ourselves in the prem, before the drawbridge has been pulled up.

We had some many chances to join the elite teams in the 90s and and 00s but blew it and now the slim chance of getting there has probably gone forever.

I hate modern football.

We blew our last real chance back when we threw away a 2-0 lead against Stoke back in 2009.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Yes. In a heartbeat. That would be me and villa done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Moot argument. 

2 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

I’d be bored by the competition (or lack thereof). I’d follow scorelines, but I’m not paying to stream Villa in a stadium with no atmosphere.

One American to another, do you only watch college sports and Villa?  Hell, even during playoffs it's hard to replicate the sort of atmosphere college sports create, but that still does not stop me from watching professional sports.  Why would this be any different to you and me, who are not Brummies?

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

We blew our last real chance back when we threw away a 2-0 lead against Stoke back in 2009.

Was that the game where Carew had that lucky volley from 20+ yards out. Man used up all our luck for a whole decade on that flukey strike. 

Ignoring the incredulity that Spurs are in this league , it’s the  arrogance of them that they will play this farce competition midweek whilst they complete in their domestic leagues ...

Kick them out their respective leagues and **** them .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Was that the game where Carew had that lucky volley from 20+ yards out. Man used up all our luck for a whole decade on that flukey strike. 

Yeah I think so, then we somehow drew 2-2 despite being 2-0 up with 10 minutes left.

I don't know why people are getting so upset over it. It's a closed shop as it is. There's no fair competition. There's a reason why these clubs are the sky 6. They've got the biggest following and are the most commercially viable. 

They were going to change the champions League to protect these clubs anyway that's what the meetings with uefa were about to see if they have a spine. As soon as the super 12 knew they're a bunch of pussies they went full steam ahead.

They want to stay in the current leagues? Ban them with immediate effect. Their players are not to be selected for the national teams with immediate effect. As for the broadcasters they can pursue the clubs individually to recoup some of the money. But you all know money talks and to protect the interests these clubs won't have anything done to them.

But the reality is we're not going to see another Leicester it's always going to be man city, manure, Liverscum, Chelsea challenging for the title. Spurs and arsenal will always finish around the top 6. This season is a one off. Next season will be back to normal. 

As for us we're not that attractive commercially and can't generate the income these clubs do. 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The problem with the favoured position of 'just kick them out' - it's my position too - is that the PL has sold television coverage rights, most of the value of which is bound up in the coverage of these clubs. The other 14 clubs may be outraged at the end of their European aspirations, but can Aston Villa afford to pay tens of millions of pounds in returns to international broadcasters? Can the other 13 clubs?

Probably not, so I suspect they'll get away with it.

I doubt the television rights have been sold with conditions of which clubs will be in it. It is, after all, still the Premier League.

Can the other clubs afford to play in a league where six clubs start with an annual £300m advantage? 

Kick the six clubs out and other clubs will soon replace them as global brands. 

I think allowing them to stay on as nothing happened will be the death of football. If we kick them out it can be the rebirth of football.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tomorrow will be a right laugh. 

This is going to kick off, big time. I can see this league season being cancelled, or points docked or something.

Seismic. 

Really?  I can see nothing happening.  The season will finish, the Super League teams agree to some sort of payment plan with the FA, and they leave at the end of the season.  Maybe I'm just completely cynical, but I don't see the FA or UEFA doing anything more than write some angrily worded press releases before money gets discussed.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tomorrow will be a right laugh. 

This is going to kick off, big time. I can see this league season being cancelled, or points docked or something.

Seismic. 

Nothing will happen. The premier League depends on the sky 6. That's the funny thing about all the sky knobs being upset. They've created the big 6 myth. rocket polishers.

• Like 1

Â