Champions League Changes - 2024/25 onwards

MaVilla

In a nutshell:

• 8 team group phase replaced with a single 32 team league format.
  • 10 games played - the games are chosen via a seeding system.
  • Top 8 advance automatically to next round.
  • Next 16 sides enter a playoff, 8 playoff winners then progress to a playoff with the team that automatically progressed.
  • Total Champions League participants rise from 32 to 36.
  • The 4 additional slots....i will call the "save the "big" clubs slots"
  • 1 goes to Ligue 1 (i think).
  • 1 goes to "a team that did well in the previous Champions League but didnt get automatic access to the Champions League in the current season" - the example was Ajax getting to the semi's but not getting an automatic slot the following season, but we know this will likely be mis-used to benefit the big clubs.
  • 2 x slots for "underachieving big clubs", basically a coefficient where is a teams has done well over 5 previous years, but doesnt qualify in the current season, they might get one of these slots based on their historic coefficient.
  • Each League is limited to 7 European slots (ie: Champions League & Europa League), so if PL top 4 qualify for Champions League, but 2 x "top english coefficient sides dont qualify for the Champions League, they take an additional 2 champions league slots, but the Europa League  gets 2 x slots taken away, as each league is not allowed more than 7 "European Cup(s) representatives.

Not sure if this is actually set in stone now?!?!

If so, its clearly geared to keeping the "big teams at the top of the pyramid".

The New Champions League Format Explained

• Sad 4

What a pile of steaming shit.

Strangely, this competition used to be for Champions, and the previous years winner.

I bet hardly anyone remembers that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Strangely, this competition used to be for Champions, and the previous years winner.

It seriously needs a name change doesn't it. 

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:
  • Each League is limited to 7 European slots (ie: Champions League & Europa League), so if PL top 4 qualify for Champions League, but 2 x "top english coefficient sides dont qualify for the Champions League, they take an additional 2 champions league slots, but the Europa League  gets 2 x slots taken away, as each league is not allowed more than 7 "European Cup(s) representatives.

Worth noting that this last point is particularly ruinous for English clubs with the hope of entering European competition; as the most competitive of the major leagues in the top half of the table, there are more likely to be 'top coefficient sides' not finishing in the top 4 places. Since these sides then go into the Europa League, they get a chance to pad their coefficient by battering minnows, while teams that potentially finished above them do not get a Europa League place, and thus do not get a coefficient.

If they were trying to create a plan to specifically punish us, Everton and West Ham, it would have looked no different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Problem with the Champions League was shitty group stage, i have a great idea lets make it shitter

They can now schedule a few Man Utd vs Real Madrid or PSG vs Bayern Munich games in the expanded group format with much less chance of the result actually putting either side out. That maximises their TV revenues because it means they can have a 'big' game every week. 

It's just vile. More group games with less on them and a greater chance of the 'right' teams progressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

If they were trying to create a plan to specifically punish us, Everton and West Ham, it would have looked no different.

Indeed. It could well be six English sides regularly into the Champions league and one into the Europa league. 

It means we'll need to finish fourth to reach Europe and Liverpool can finish wherever they like.

• Like 1

UEFA desperately trying to please the G-14 clubs to keep them away from starting their own Super League and killing the Champions League cash cow.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

UEFA desperately trying to please the G-14 clubs to keep them away from starting their own Super League and killing the Champions League cash cow.

No, I don't think so. That's a fake threat; its purpose is simply to secure agreements like this one.

Arsenal don't want a 'Super League' where their fans can't travel to most games and they lose 75% of their matches, they want a system where they can play their normal opponents, finish 10th and still qualify for Europe. That's what they've got.

I would *love* a Super League. Get rid of these shitty **** clubs and their shitty **** supporters once and for all, that would be great. Sadly, what we're about to get is much worse.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

No, I don't think so. That's a fake threat; its purpose is simply to secure agreements like this one.

Arsenal don't want a 'Super League' where their fans can't travel to most games and they lose 75% of their matches, they want a system where they can play their normal opponents, finish 10th and still qualify for Europe. That's what they've got.

I would *love* a Super League. Get rid of these shitty **** clubs and their shitty **** supporters once and for all, that would be great. Sadly, what we're about to get is much worse.

Well yeah that's exactly what I mean. It worked.

Fwiw I doubt the Arsenal top brass care even a bit about what their fans want. 

1 minute ago, sne said:

Fwiw I doubt the Arsenal top brass care even a bit about what their fans want. 

I think they would like their club to play most of their matches in a season against teams in the same time-zone, that they can conceivably get away fans to regularly, not out of benevolence but because otherwise the brand risks becoming irrelevant and people might find better things to do with their time.

Arsenal with the biggest match day revenue in world football want home matches 

And its been a while since I was involved with the lions club and going to away games and what have you but I was always lead to believe that clubs make £0 from away game ticket sales and as such largely do not give a **** about them 

• Like 2

Â