Champions League Changes - 2024/25 onwards

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Whatever, fine. The point is the same; they would rather play the majority of games against teams they might actually beat, rather than playing all of their games against teams who will beat them.

Yeah I agree with comment that finishing 10th and getting CL is enough for kroenke 

I'm not even sure he cares about the stadium anymore either tbh, he has a better one 

The super league is an absolute pipe dream, the number of contracts that would be breached in its creation would make it financially unviable, the CL being a closed shop is the next best thing 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Just now, villa4europe said:

Now scrap extra time and go straight to pens 

The away goals still active in extra time is not something I'm a huge fan off. Ridiculous stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Hahaha cos computers can't be programmed to do anything can they. This just sounds like a complete and utter load of shite and we could be in it next year

Manually drawn serves zero purpose if they then use a computer. They could build in whatever rules they want.

I'd love to inspect the code, no doubt see a rule that says "if Aston Villa draw away against the top seed in every pot"

Funny looking at all the rage in here when the format was announced... but now we might actually benefit from it.  Very amusing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Manually drawn serves zero purpose if they then use a computer. They could build in whatever rules they want.

I'd love to inspect the code, no doubt see a rule that says "if Aston Villa draw away against the top seed in every pot"

Funny looking at all the rage in here when the format was announced... but now we might actually benefit from it.  Very amusing.

If we qualify we'll get to play Real, Barca, PSG and Bayern

4 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

If we qualify we'll get to play Real, Barca, PSG and Bayern

Doesnt that mean they will also play each other. That wouldnt be good for business

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

For all the plaudits Luton get they are going down I think. Losing from being 3 up is catastrophic 

I dont think Luton will make Champions League😝

Interesting this thread started in April 2021.

Reading one of the original criteria they were going to give a wildcard to a club who hadn't made CL but had historically good record in it. Imagine the outcry on here and elsewhere if Chelsea finished 10th and they still got in the CL on account of winning it recently.

That suggestion quickly got dropped after the Super league fallout which happened a couple of weeks later.

5th place is still heavily skewed to the bigger leagues but at least it's still just about based on sporting merit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Doesnt that mean they will also play each other. That wouldnt be good for business

Good for viewing figures and sponsorship though.

14 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Good point.... we'll get Man U then

Oh hang on

Not that United will be in it, but teams from the same league can't play each other I think.

Â