Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I think the club are doing everything they can to give Bailey the chance to improve and prove he’s worth what we paid for him. 

He’s probably the only player that hasn’t improved under Emery though and his injury record is a concern.

With Coutinho coming back, I can’t see a scenario where he’ll play much more this season. He’s been a really disappointing signing. 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the club are doing everything they can to give Bailey the chance to improve and prove he’s worth what we paid for him. 

He’s probably the only player that hasn’t improved under Emery though and his injury record is a concern.

With Coutinho coming back, I can’t see a scenario where he’ll play much more this season. He’s been a really disappointing signing. 

Coutinho won't play much more this season either

If some of our previous managers had named a lineup like yesterday's, we'd all have been rolling our eyes. 'This is gonna be painful'

But with Emery, we saw the result, it's amazing and fascinating. Proper elite stuff.

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Weirdest thing about game today is why does Emery keep persisting with Bailey. I know Donc was strategical pick for Newcastle but I wouldn't change that starting team next game or beyond

As ineffective as Bailey has been, the squad is thin and Unai will undoubtably want different personnel against different opponents. Mcginn was perfect against Burn but Bailey has had the run of Shaw (if he’s healthy for United) while Shaw might be more of a battle for Mcginn (similar build pace and strength).

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe, maybe not. He’s a better option than Bailey though. 

When was last time Coutinho played and changed a game for us? Brutal in the Stevenage game. I've pretty much written him off since then. I think he's gone as soon as club can offload him

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

When was last time Coutinho played and changed a game for us? Brutal in the Stevenage game. I've pretty much written him off since then. I think he's gone as soon as club can offload him

I think I agree he’ll be off. His wages, along with Digne’s could be better spent elsewhere. 

Im just saying I’d rather have him coming on or playing over Bailey who I think is really, really poor. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think I agree he’ll be off. His wages, along with Digne’s could be better spent elsewhere. 

Im just saying I’d rather have him coming on or playing over Bailey who I think is really, really poor. 

Really? I'm not sure you've ever mentioned that before about Bailey? (I tease, this is actually quite restrained by your standards.)

• Haha 1

It's frustrating that this is exactly what we've done since Emery joined yet nobody ever credits Emery for it. He literally did this for Villareal in CL. Create artificial transitions from your own build up from the back. It's why we see Watkins score so many goals where he's running into space from our own possession from the back

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's frustrating that this is exactly what we've done since Emery joined yet nobody ever credits Emery for it. He literally did this for Villareal in CL. Create artificial transitions from your own build up from the back. It's why we see Watkins score so many goals where he's running into space from our own possession from the back

we aren't cool

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

This is exactly it. Brighton are cool and De Zerbi is cool. 

Harsh to say people just talk about De Zerbi as he's cool. He's an incredible coach. So is Emery and we are flying under the radar but I actually prefer it...

• Like 3

On 16/04/2023 at 08:09, Delphinho123 said:

With Bailey we were also down to the bare bones with attacking players. Duran is young, Coutinho out and Traore is not really fully fit yet

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

With Bailey we were also down to the bare bones with attacking players. Duran is young, Coutinho out and Traore is not really fully fit yet

I wouldn't write Bailey off just yet, if Emery can get his head right he's got all the attributes. I think he lacks confidence and has felt the pressure to perform increase and he's not dealing with it well. Sort his head out and theirs a player in there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I wouldn't write Bailey off just yet, if Emery can get his head right he's got all the attributes. I think he lacks confidence and has felt the pressure to perform increase and he's not dealing with it well. Sort his head out and theirs a player in there.

I am the same, have seen him perform before so i know talent is there. I think he needs a good pre season working with our coaching staff and maybe work on why he looks more sluggish in recent times. Could be a fitness issue or a mental issue

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am the same, have seen him perform before so i know talent is there. I think he needs a good pre season working with our coaching staff and maybe work on why he looks more sluggish in recent times. Could be a fitness issue or a mental issue

In the pitch side video right before his injury vs Forest, he looked plenty quick when he burst forward before he did his hamstring. Can’t help but think he’s just not hitting that top speed because of the thought of injury. 

is it just what i popping up on the web for me, or is there a lot more intelligent discussion about how Emery has us setting up and playing?  Several posted above are really good.  As is an article in the Athletic focused on Ramsey's narrow positioning.   The nuances of these positioning details are impacting others.   Example:  JJ setting up more narrow creates room for Moreno, which in turn moves mings and konsa a bit more to our left.  It really puts a whole lot more pressure on Konsa, and I think is doing admirably.

Â