Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

2 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Maybe doesn't , but if we let go Dendocker should have been a replacement come in.

Probably did not trust Dendoncker either - and failed to find a worth while signing in january, hence not signing a nother midfielder.

• Like 1

The team that starts next season, bar disasters in pre season will be devastating and capable of going deep in the CL 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The team that starts next season, bar disasters in pre season will be devastating and capable of going deep in the CL 

I think, it will be a new look too.....a few faces will be different.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Probably did not trust Dendoncker either - and failed to find a worth while signing in january, hence not signing a nother midfielder.

too slow, and laboured.....need someone, amongst many things, who can move the ball, quickly and accurately.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

too slow, and laboured.....need someone, amongst many things, who can move the ball, quickly and accurately.

And forward.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

and those are more suited to attacking than defending......who is going to stop marauding opponents, every time we lose the ball?....and who is going to win it back , when we do?

I am not sure what the " true" means......for me there are 3 types of midfielder....defending, central and attacking.

I also believe, we are painfully thin on the defending versions.

By "true midfielder" I simply that some sort of midfield is their natural position, rather than deploying Diaby or Bailey or Cash out of position.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

As someone else said in the Tim thread - Emery likes players who are courageous on the ball. Kamara may be a defensive mid, but he's also got swagger on the ball. That Iborra for Olympiakos also looked very confident with the ball, hence why he played under Emery for so long at Sevilla.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Defence has been shambolic this past while, needs sorting in the summer. We’ve no issue scoring, so spend the budget on defence.

Buy another DM to cover from Kamara and we'll be fine. We've given up almost half a goal per match more since he's been gone.

This graphic is being bandied about on Twitter a lot, and many rival fans are saying it clearly means we’re lucky and that we’ll drop off next season. My question is for those more in to stats than myself… what does distance, pressures, etc, actually mean? And why is that a bad thing if we’re clearly performing well and we’re likely to be 4th. Sorry for sounding stupid but it all sounds like an NFL stats analysis to me. Stats are only useful when they predict an outcome, but if they don’t like they don’t here, then what’s the point?

IMG_6773.jpeg

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

This graphic is being bandied about on Twitter a lot, and many rival fans are saying it clearly means we’re lucky and that we’ll drop off next season. My question is for those more in to stats than myself… what does distance, pressures, etc, actually mean? And why is that a bad thing if we’re clearly performing well and we’re likely to be 4th. Sorry for sounding stupid but it all sounds like an NFL stats analysis to me. Stats are only useful when they predict an outcome, but if they don’t like they don’t here, then what’s the point?

IMG_6773.jpeg

We're low in all those ranking because we don't play high intensity 100mph football.  We conserve our energy and build up patiently from the back and then break with pace when the opposition leave gaps from pressing us.  I wouldn't worry about it, Emery knows what he's doing, let other teams run about like headless chickens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

We're low in all those ranking because we don't play high intensity 100mph football.  We conserve our energy and build up patiently from the back and then break with pace when the opposition leave gaps from pressing us.  I wouldn't worry about it, Emery knows what he's doing, let other teams run about like headless chickens.

That’s my take on it too… it describes how we play, but those aren’t some mystical numbers that predict the future. Rival fans are weird! 😂 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Sorry for sounding stupid but it all sounds like an NFL stats analysis to me. Stats are only useful when they predict an outcome, but if they don’t like they don’t here, then what’s the point?

What seems lost on people these days is that football isn't a game that can be measured well by statistics. Baseball, cricket, NFL, Basketball  are all much much easier to quantify in stats than football. But there's loads of money in football and loads of companies wiling to make money producing stats that don't really mean anything. TV companies will gobble up these stats as they see it as way to connect with a younger audience who don't understand the game well. 

you have to watch 90 minutes of football to know what happened, you can't just look at the stats. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

IMG_6773.jpeg

Emery is just reinventing football, you don't get stats like that by mistake and finish 4th. The usual pundits just don't want to believe how good Emery is, yet its plain to see  to anyone who wants to look at things as straight forward statistics, we play differently to everyone else but we are more successful than the majority with a weaker squad ( caused by injuries and the extra games ). 

The difference is Emery.

• Like 3

I’m fine with rival fans believing we are lucky and will drop off next season. I’m sure plenty thought that last season. Thankfully we know the truth, and we know that Emery knows every system and tactical approach in the game, and is totally capable of creating a new one if he thinks we need to. This isn’t Biesla, Ange, or Moyes we’re talking about. Emery is elite level. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Emery is just reinventing football, you don't get stats like that by mistake and finish 4th. The usual pundits just don't want to believe how good Emery is, yet its plain to see  to anyone who wants to look at things as straight forward statistics, we play differently to everyone else but we are more successful than the majority with a weaker squad ( caused by injuries and the extra games ). 

The difference is Emery.

Whatever Emery is doing, it's working, and will hopefully get better as he's able to fine tune the squad over the next few windows.  The only English pundit that I've really heard rave about Emery is Neville.  

10 hours ago, duke313 said:

Defence has been shambolic this past while, needs sorting in the summer. We’ve no issue scoring, so spend the budget on defence.

but defence means the whole team....its the defensive side of our game, that needs attention.

our ability to concede so easily, tells its own story, and with one of the best goalkeepers there is, compounds the issue.

I am sure, it will be high on the agenda, for next season.

In light of that, the offensive side has produced, amazing results.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

but defence means the whole team....its the defensive side of our game, that needs attention.

our ability to concede so easily, tells its own story, and with one of the best goalkeepers there is, compounds the issue.

I am sure, it will be high on the agenda, for next season.

In light of that, the offensive side has produced, amazing results.

I enjoy your totally coherent posts, but your liberal use of the comma means I read them like an emphysema patient.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Radness said:

I enjoy your totally coherent posts, but your liberal use of the comma means I read them like an emphysema patient.

I suppose the alternative, is a monologue, or text where there is no comma's or change of thought.

I'm not an academic, just a simple guy trying to put my football thoughts in to text......apologies for your breathlessness.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I suppose the alternative, is a monologue, or text where there is no comma's or change of thought.

I'm not an academic, just a simple guy trying to put my football thoughts in to text......apologies for your breathlessness.

I wasn’t having a go, just found myself breathing funny, maybe I enjoyed your posts more than I thought 😂

• Haha 2

Â