Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Still one that led to naff performances on the whole.

Not playing our best player is a bold strategy.

I reckon Kamara / Carlos plus hopefully new found freedom from the more attacking CMs, and sharper Ollie + Ings might see our systems work better. Or as they were intended to, however that is.

I know our thoughts on McGinn, but could he possibly have a new lease on life being able to do what he likes best? Box to box with an emphasis on attacking support?

Kamara and Carlos will also be putting in and playing better balls in to our midfield and attack IMO ( Then again, there are possibilities of them doing all that, and McGinn passing it directly back to opposition 😂 )

Let's see.

Not sure we can take a training team as solid evidence of how we approach the whole season either though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

On 20/07/2022 at 23:32, ZL- said:

Looks like the 4-2-3-1 is going to be a genuine option for us next year. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go on loan but revisiting this Iroegbunam could be the perfect pairing in this pivot. A new CM that is comfortable in the pivot whilst Tim goes on loan could ideal, whilst preparing the squad for a long term partnership upon his return of what will be a 23 year old Kamara and 20 year old Iroegbunam dominating the middle of the park for us for years to come.

4-3-1-2 looks like our alternative approach given its success last year, this suits Luiz and Ramsey more as 8s ahead of Kamara. I think Archer and Watkins could be our best combination of strikers for the 2 up top.

Seems more and more likely this is our playbook, perhaps the diamond in games we expect to dominate more and can afford 2 strikers and the 4-2-3-1 when we need sit back and hit on the counter.

One thing I've noticed in the pre-season games is how much we are switching the play. A big part of this seems to be Kamara and Carlos with Gerrard even mentioning Kamara has a passing range the team didn't have up until now. I think this will help us big time in the effectiveness of the diamond, it's very easy to just park men behind the middle vs that formation but quick switches of play mean the defending team don't have time to shuffle across so I'm not surprised now we are switching the play far more regularly we also want to persevere with the diamond as an option.

On 19/07/2022 at 16:15, OutByEaster? said:

Formations are certainly interesting.

Gerrard developed from a 4-3-2-1 with Coutinho and Buendia to a 4-3-1-2 with both strikers over the course of last season, but we've been playing a 4-3-3 with Bailey on the right and Coutinho on the left at times in pre-season.

Are we going back to Dean Smith's 4-3-3?

I think it matters more of who applies themselves...but hey ho.

I believe we can win, with any formation, if we apply the rudiments of the game, as individuals and form a team.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think it matters more of who applies themselves...but hey ho.

I believe we can win, with any formation, if we apply the rudiments of the game, as individuals and form a team.

Welcome to the team shape, tactics and personnel thread. :)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Welcome to the team shape, tactics and personnel thread. :)

Sorry Bri....I thought it was relevant, to the aforementioned.

or maybe thats where we are going wrong.😋

The only thing that gives me hope this isnt the team is Konsa at the back.

After a poorish half v Leeds he was back to his best against Brisbane. 

Whereas Coutinho did a couple of hip wiggles. I love Phil but he can be stylishly anonymous. 

. This is the problem with managing a friend. He wants to go to Qatar and Gerrard will not stop him achieving his goal. 

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

That main team Preece mentions is depressing.

Not because we're playing two strikers.

But because Buendia isn't in it.

I sincerely hope that he's talking out his arse.

You just know it will be the one bloody exclusive Preece ever gets

I’d have thought both Chambers and Mings are ahead of Konsa - especially with him returning from injury. Even if this is the starting line up tomorrow I’m not going to read too much into it. However, quite telling if Buendia doesn’t start alongside what would be considered the big guns. 

18 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

I’d have thought both Chambers and Mings are ahead of Konsa - especially with him returning from injury. Even if this is the starting line up tomorrow I’m not going to read too much into it. However, quite telling if Buendia doesn’t start alongside what would be considered the big guns. 

Konsa is better than Chambers and Mings. When he's on it, he's impassable.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Konsa is better than Chambers and Mings. When he's on it, he's impassable.

I fully agree. Rolls Royce season before last. He was poor last season though and currently think he isn’t top two choices in Gerrard’s thoughts because of his injury and form. Konsa back to his best is certainly better than Chambers and Mings though 👍

On 21/07/2022 at 20:54, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are we really a dour team though? I don’t get why people are saying this.

I don’t think we’re a dour team to watch, I think we lack an identity but we play well in fits and bursts and we score some good goals, hopefully that happens more consistently this year.

• Like 1

Why have we never tried a 4-2-3-1 and now with Kamara its possible

Its probably the beat formation for the players we have and can get Emi, Coutinho and Bailey into the starting 11

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why have we never tried a 4-2-3-1 and now with Kamara its possible

Its probably the beat formation for the players we have and can get Emi, Coutinho and Bailey into the starting 11

We’d need another defensive midfielder to play it and Ramsey would probably be benched if we played that. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’d need another defensive midfielder to play it and Ramsey would probably be benched if we played that. 

Not saying every game but Buendia has great work rate and will stop the full backs being kamikaze in attack

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why can't Buendia play where McGinn/Ramsey play?

Biggest issue is still midfield, there are still massive holes in the middle. We need to play a tight 3 instead of Ramsey and McGinn playing so wide. Too many times we are left outnumbered in the middle. Doesn’t matter who your DM is he can’t pick up 3 players. 

Â