Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we ever play a 4 2 3 1 it won't be Ramsey playing alongside Kamara it'll be McGinn / Luiz. 

If we moved to this system in some games it will require a little tweak for the full backs and one needs to tuck into midfield to make the 2 3 5 attacking shape or also get forward into a 2 2 6 to get an overload.

I feel with a pre season this formation can be added and worked on. I see it as a good one to use against teams we will dominate against and who will likely plan a low block and pack midfield to counter us playing two 10s.

So having the tactical flexibility to play 4 3 2 1, 4 3 1 2 and 4 2 3 1 will be important for next season. Especially with 5 subs allowed. A move from 4 3 2 1 to 4 2 3 1 can happen with a double substitution. Say take Buendia and Ramsey off from their 8 and 10 positions and put on Bailey / Traore. Then can replace Watkins with Ings and the opposition have totally new problems to deal with. 

Agree with all of the above , I just have thought about Ramsey given we've had 2 years of McGinn and Luiz in a double pivot and it didn't quite work then. Ramsey may be even more less suited in a pivot right based on previous appearances but I do think given Ramsey's age he could surprise us with his adaptation but I would only expect the above formation in very specific situations post subs when we are chasing a game.

All in all. given Gerrard's mention of still being in the market for a CM, I believe it to be one of the 8s with a defensive edge moulds that would complement Kamara in a pivot.

Going to be interesting to see as pre-season develops

Formations are certainly interesting.

Gerrard developed from a 4-3-2-1 with Coutinho and Buendia to a 4-3-1-2 with both strikers over the course of last season, but we've been playing a 4-3-3 with Bailey on the right and Coutinho on the left at times in pre-season.

Are we going back to Dean Smith's 4-3-3?

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Formations are certainly interesting.

Gerrard developed from a 4-3-2-1 with Coutinho and Buendia to a 4-3-1-2 with both strikers over the course of last season, but we've been playing a 4-3-3 with Bailey on the right and Coutinho on the left at times in pre-season.

Are we going back to Dean Smith's 4-3-3?

I think there is a need for tactical flexibility in the front 3 as the back 7 are the same every week. The only difference between 4 3 3 and 4 3 2 1 is how narrow the inside forwards / 10s are out of possession and where they operate in possession. I am interested to see if the full backs underlap a bit more if a wide forward keeps the width where the full backs go or if we have one of the 8s get forward and the full back tucks.

It's the interplay between the 8, forward and full back on either side of the pitch which will be the next stage of our tactical evolution. Movement and positional rotation, if you are now in the x position in the rotation and we lose possession you are now the "full back" for example when setting the defence in transition as another player from the three may be furthest forward.

• Like 1

Need to sell some players soon. 23 players in action today. We also have a team like this:

——————-Steer————

Guilber, Feeny, Hause, Young

————-Nakamba——————

—-Sanson———CC

JPB———————-El Ghazi

—————Davis———————

11 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Need to sell some players soon. 23 players in action today. We also have a team like this:

——————-Steer————

————-Nakamba——————

—-Sanson———CC

JPB———————-El Ghazi

—————Davis———————

problem is you can't force sales. there has to be a willing buyer and the player must want to move.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villa82 said:

——————-Steer————

————-Nakamba——————

—-Sanson———CC

JPB———————-El Ghazi

—————Davis———————

Wow, we can actually field 3 full teams with all our players 😀

Would this be possible without us getting pumped in midfield?

Ollie

Coutinho                                               Bailey

Buendia

Kamara              Ramsey

Digne              Mings                    Carlos                    Cash

I'm basically wondering if we can get our 3 most dangerous front players on the pitch without sacrificing solidity.

Front 4 all very different threats and assets, and can interchange among themselves.

Kamara obviously sitting if/when JJ bursts forward.

Ramsey interchangeable with Doug of McGinn etc.

Emi slightly deeper as more of a box to box, but with emphasis on attacking support. ( Also able to help out Kamara and JJ if necessary )

Ollie interchangeable with Ings or Cameron.

Whichever people would prefer.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ollie

Buendia

I'm basically wondering if we can get our 3 most dangerous front players on the pitch without sacrificing solidity.

Front 4 all very different threats and assets, and can interchange among themselves.

Emi slightly deeper as more of a box to box, but with emphasis on attacking support. ( Also able to help out Kamara and JJ if necessary )

Buendia works just as hard, if not harder, than any of our other players. There's absolutely no reason that I can see why he can't play in the middle, even as an 8.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ollie

Buendia

We probably need a goalkeeper😉

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ollie

Buendia

Just doesn’t suit Ramsey’s game. If Tim can progress fast, he’d suit the ‘double pivot’ with Kamara though for sure

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Just doesn’t suit Ramsey’s game. If Tim can progress fast, he’d suit the ‘double pivot’ with Kamara though for sure

You're probably right, was just trying to see how I could fit them all in.

Either way it seems we are back to Buendia or Bailey then.

If anything, JJ should probably occupy the spot I have Buendia in now then 

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You're probably right, was just trying to see how I could fit them all in.

Either way it seems we are back to Buendia or Bailey then.

If anything, JJ should probably occupy the spot I have Buendia in now then 

We have great options definitely, everyone will HAVE to perform or there’s someone easily good enough to step into the side and not just in their position. Bailey doesn’t perform, then it’s not just one player breathing down his neck but 5 others as we can easily shuffle the pack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ollie

Buendia

You'd need a new defensive midfielder alongside Kamara to play that I think. Ramsey isn't that player and is far better going forward as an 8.
I can't see us playing this formation tbh. 

• Like 1

What I would like us to try and play

Martinez

Cash         Carlos             Mings      Digne

Kamara

Luiz            Ramsey

Buendia                          Coutinho

Ings

What gerrard will probably play

Martinez

Cash         Carlos              Mings      Digne

Kamara

McGinn               Ramsey

Coutinho

Watkins                 Ings

• Thanks 2

I don't want to see Coutinho in midfield again unless it's last 20 mins chasing a goal and we're throwing everything at it. That was unpleasant today.

It neuters him and doesn't provide us with enough control in there.

IMO it also sends a bit of a smelly message to the rest of the team that he's going to play regardless of performance. He's not even as good as Buendia, so no need to be forcing him in.

Only pre-season still, so this is the time to try things like this to be fair. We've tried it. Didn't work. Let's never speak of this again.

• Like 2

I would want see experiment this formation 

-----------Martinez------------
Chamber-Carlos-Mings
Cash--Kamara-Ramsey-Dinge
Buendia-Archer-Coutinho

or  this is plan A and B, C, D.

3-4-3 (3-5-2-1 / 5-3-2-1)
-------------Martinez-----------
Chamber-Kamara-Carlos
Cash-Luiz-Ramsey-Dinge
Buendia-Archer-Coutinho

Kamara can into DM or CM roles so more flexible tactical. into this 

4-3-3
------------Martinez--------------- 
Cash-Chamber-Carlos-Dinge
Luiz-Kamara-Ramsey
Buendia-Archer-Coutinho

4-2-3-1
--------------Martinez------------
---------Luiz-Kamara-------------
Buendia-Ramsey-Coutinho 
--------------Archer--------------- 
(Sub Bailey come for Luiz or Ramsey)

4-1-2-3
Martinez 
Kamara
Luiz-Ramsey
Buendia-Archer-Coutinho

(Sorry Mcginn no in this list) :S 

I think it would be work, Maybe try this Fifa23 or FM23 once it is out 😉

• Like 1

I think it is great size we has this season I think we don't need buy any player (maybe Pace Right Foot Winger to sell and replace Traore) with Bailey for pace Wide and counter attack as options 4-3-3

Players Squad is much strong and i think good enough for top 7

Team A ----------------Team B--------------------Team C
Martinez---------------Olsen------------------------Marshall
Cash----------------------KHH/Guilbert----------Young
Carlos---------------------Konsa--------------------Feeney
Chamber-----------------Mings--------------------Hause
Dinge-----------------------Augustinsson--------Christine
Kamara-------------------Marvelous -<----->---Iroegbunam 
Luiz------------------------McGinn-------------------Ramsey, A
Ramsey (J)------------Sanson--------------------Lindley
Buendia------------------Baliey----------------------Finn, A
Coutinho-----------------JPB or New-----------O'Reiley
Archer --------------------Ings/Watkins (Sold one of them make move for New CM?

Sell Traore and Ings (or) Watkins, El Ghazi, Davis
Replace new CM or R.F. Pace dribble Winger, Forward

One thing I don't understand why we offered Young new contract as player, when i think should be as like Coach - Player (if Emergency if injury or need experience head) 

On 11/07/2022 at 22:17, ZL- said:

Interesting we played 4-2-3-1 vs Walsall, I know we had a group of CMs missing that maybe made either the 4-3-2-1 or the diamond too difficult to play but now Beale is going I wonder if the shape him and SG have played throughout their time together was MB decided. As SG has mentioned on numerous occasion that shape and coaching of it was MB domain.

I can't see us dropping all of the work we've done on the shape from last season but it is a way we can get all of our most talented players on the same pitch at the same time should Bailey play his way into the team post-injury. Some of the recent SG comments about how we see Kamara as both a 6 and 8 makes me feel double pivot is something he will enable us to do unlike before.

image.png.825d00e093d7f197bab24fb1b896172e.png

Granted I think the double pivot role will be a one Ramsey will need some accustoming too and it being comparatively lightweight, it does have a good blend of skill sets and with 5 subs next year have a feeling we might see this combination for a least some period of a game next season. If the feeling we are gearing up for a marquee b2b midfielder of a Laimer or Kone ilk is true then the fit would be even better without wanting to hamper Ramsey's development too much.

Looks like the 4-2-3-1 is going to be a genuine option for us next year. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go on loan but revisiting this Iroegbunam could be the perfect pairing in this pivot. A new CM that is comfortable in the pivot whilst Tim goes on loan could ideal, whilst preparing the squad for a long term partnership upon his return of what will be a 23 year old Kamara and 20 year old Iroegbunam dominating the middle of the park for us for years to come.

4-3-1-2 looks like our alternative approach given its success last year, this suits Luiz and Ramsey more as 8s ahead of Kamara. I think Archer and Watkins could be our best combination of strikers for the 2 up top. Archer's inexperience may show when it comes to leading the line on his own in the premier league so playing him in the 2 eases the burden as well as having Watkins underrated runs to drag defenders away and allow Archer to get off his now trademark snapshot.

It slowly feels like we're moving away from the square pegs in round holes that a lot of last season felt like, and the early signs are we could finally have some formations that gets the best out of our players.

Â