Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He's out of contract in summer, Torino won't get a penny wherever he goes.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Over the past few pages, they've said he's actually out of contract in the summer. So, free.

image.gif.e575d802be14644b30641a79c9bb1d0b.gif

Edit : wrong thread. Erm Belotti would give us more tactical flexibility.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Haha 1

Belotti would be a mega signing for Free. Ginter, Belotti and not a penny up front (I know signing on fees and stuff, agents fees). 

We can play different formations with those two additions. 

Edited by Sulberto21
Wrong thread!

31 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Belotti would be a mega signing for Free. Ginter, Belotti and not a penny up front (I know signing on fees and stuff, agents fees). 

We can play different formations with those two additions. 

I also dont think the wages would be that bad compared to Gomez or Suarez for example 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I also dont think the wages would be that bad compared to Gomez or Suarez for example 

His wages wouldn't be an issue for us.  However he won't come, his dream move is to Milan, and if they don't go for him i'd imagine Conte would snap him up.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

His wages wouldn't be an issue for us.  However he won't come, his dream move is to Milan, and if they don't go for him i'd imagine Conte would snap him up.

Milan are trying to sort out the Zlatan situation before they can pay Belotti. He has been linked to Toronto as well with Insigne

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Milan are trying to sort out the Zlatan situation before they can pay Belotti. He has been linked to Toronto as well with Insigne

I think he might retire, if he did it would open the door for Belotti to Milan.  Insigne to Toronto is such a strange one, still in his prime and an Italy international.

20 hours ago, sne said:

For now I'd go with this if Digne is out and Nakamba is fit enough. If not Sanson next to Luiz.

Watkins

Coutinho          Buendia

Sanson

Luiz  Nakamba

Young Mings Chambers Cash

Martinez

Gerrard get's to play his beloved 4-3-2-1 still but with adjusted instructions. Not as attacking full backs, Coutinho & Buendia must not occupy the same space or fight for the same balls. Luiz and Nakamba in a deeper double pivot (insert Friends gif)

Obviously McGinn or Ramsey are more likely to start ahead of Sanson but preferably not both together. Ings or Watkins is a coin flip since both are out of form. 

Still have issues but will hopefully be more balanced and less open while still able to string a few passes together and create something.

The balance needs to be in the ingredients of each player, not necessarily where they stand at Kick off....Does the average positions after a game, relate to where their line up suggests....I would hazard a guess from watching, that they stay similar, no matter how we line/set  up.

2 managers have tried many configurations and still no consistency is found.....because there are too many players with similar ingredients in their play and a clear absence of ingredients we need, they have a tendency to play the same....We have simply signed too manay players over a given period of time....too similar, in both stature and intrinsic nature.

you can swap them , around all you like, but it will make little difference.....and SG is finding out to his credit, judging by the links to the type of players we need....but that don't fix the here and now.

Barkley, was the problem at one point, we have been saying these same things for some time now.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The balance needs to be in the ingredients of each player, not necessarily where they stand at Kick off....Does the average positions after a game, relate to where their line up suggests....I would hazard a guess from watching, that they stay similar, no matter how we line/set  up.

2 managers have tried many configurations and still no consistency is found.....because there are too many players with similar ingredients in their play and a clear absence of ingredients we need, they have a tendency to play the same....We have simply signed too manay players over a given period of time....too similar, in both stature and intrinsic nature.

you can swap them , around all you like, but it will make little difference.....and SG is finding out to his credit, judging by the links to the type of players we need....but that don't fix the here and now.

Barkley, was the problem at one point, we have been saying these same things for some time now.

But until we can sign new player what would you do? Just give up?

------------------------Douglas Luiz------------------------

----------------Sanson------------Coutinho--------------

------Buendia---------------------------------Bailey-------

----------------------------Traore------------------------------

Steven, if you're reading this, please try it, if only for one game!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don’t think he’ll move away from any system that requires the full backs to do all of the attacking work out wide. It’s either two 10’s with the fullbacks bombing on or a narrow diamond with 2 up top and the full backs bombing on. 

I was so happy with our 4-2-3-1 under Smith. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think it's because Gerrard wants the wide spaces open for the full backs to occupy all the time. While if you have wide forwards who cut in often it's still down to them to decide to cut in our go outside. Liverpool do this very well as their full backs will then cut into the half space. Also Gerrard wants the 10s centrally so wen we are turned over in possession they are closer to their defensive positions. He wants to force teams around the midfield block into the wide areas.

Interesting theory...I'll watch for it next match...

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think he’ll move away from any system that requires the full backs to do all of the attacking work out wide. It’s either two 10’s with the fullbacks bombing on or a narrow diamond with 2 up top and the full backs bombing on. 

I was so happy with our 4-2-3-1 under Smith. 

Yeah I think that's why we've stuck with the 3 man midfield as to play the attacking fullbacks needs the midfielders to cover for them defensively. To change to a 4 2 3 1 means you cannot have your fullbacks attacking so much as it leaves only 4 defensive players and even more gaps at the back. I think after signing Digne and Cash learning well, Ramsey and McGinn too. He sees all 4 in his starting team next season so with really nothing to play for this season he wants them to keep learning the system. He can add in a central replacement for Luiz and a CB who is experienced at building from the back and he's now happy with the defence and midfield. 

So I can understand why Gerrard is sticking with the midfield three and attacking fullbacks and playing out from the back. It'll stand the team in good stead next season. As for the front 3 he's always wanted the positional rotation there to flip from 1 2 to 2 1 with the same 3 players. So lining up alternating between them is a minor tweak to the overall system. I'd say Archer back into the fold and another forward added (I want Suarez). Coutinho/Buendia/Bailey being the 10 options. That gives us 7 players for 3 positions. 

I think Gerrard wants a midfielder to be captain next season. So it'll be interesting what happens there. Also with Mings I think if he has less responsibility he can focus more on his game. As Captain he feels like he has to rally the troops, but it's hard to have an attacking impact on the team when we go behind as a CB. Also he's the primary player to play out from the back as Konsa is woeful at it. So he's putting himself under more pressure learning this and being pressed by opposition. If he has that ball playing CB as his partner he can keep mentally focused more on the defensive side. I see Mings as key for us next season he always chips in with a few goals and assists too. 

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

Interesting theory...I'll watch for it next match...

It doesn't work at the moment. With two 10s we lack a goal threat with Watkins or Ings up top on their own so that's why we're going with one 10, Coutinho and two CFs so teams can still play through or over us centrally (Buendia is a different level to Coutinho in defensive work rate). With our midfield 3 not strong enough to deal with this. 

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It doesn't work at the moment. With two 10s we lack a goal threat with Watkins or Ings up top on their own so that's why we're going with one 10, Coutinho and two CFs so teams can still play through or over us centrally (Buendia is a different level to Coutinho in defensive work rate). With our midfield 3 not strong enough to deal with this. 

I think that was highlighted in that twitter thread analysis of the Spurs game.  Countinho didn't press Bentancur so Luiz had to, leaving too much space.  Although Coutinho was excellent that game, Buendia would have been much more effective pressing their DM.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah I think that's why we've stuck with the 3 man midfield as to play the attacking fullbacks needs the midfielders to cover for them defensively. To change to a 4 2 3 1 means you cannot have your fullbacks attacking so much as it leaves only 4 defensive players and even more gaps at the back. I think after signing Digne and Cash learning well, Ramsey and McGinn too. He sees all 4 in his starting team next season so with really nothing to play for this season he wants them to keep learning the system. He can add in a central replacement for Luiz and a CB who is experienced at building from the back and he's now happy with the defence and midfield. 

So I can understand why Gerrard is sticking with the midfield three and attacking fullbacks and playing out from the back. It'll stand the team in good stead next season. As for the front 3 he's always wanted the positional rotation there to flip from 1 2 to 2 1 with the same 3 players. So lining up alternating between them is a minor tweak to the overall system. I'd say Archer back into the fold and another forward added (I want Suarez). Coutinho/Buendia/Bailey being the 10 options. That gives us 7 players for 3 positions. 

I think Gerrard wants a midfielder to be captain next season. So it'll be interesting what happens there. Also with Mings I think if he has less responsibility he can focus more on his game. As Captain he feels like he has to rally the troops, but it's hard to have an attacking impact on the team when we go behind as a CB. Also he's the primary player to play out from the back as Konsa is woeful at it. So he's putting himself under more pressure learning this and being pressed by opposition. If he has that ball playing CB as his partner he can keep mentally focused more on the defensive side. I see Mings as key for us next season he always chips in with a few goals and assists too. 

Good post. I’d be slightly disappointed if both Ramsey and McGinn started in midfield for us next season but they have become quite effective in covering their respective full backs. A proper DM will certainly improve that department (Bissouma for me). 

Personally, I’d still like to go back to a 4-2-3-1 but I can see the argument as to why we won’t. 

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Good post. I’d be slightly disappointed if both Ramsey and McGinn started in midfield for us next season but they have become quite effective in covering their respective full backs. A proper DM will certainly improve that department (Bissouma for me). 

Personally, I’d still like to go back to a 4-2-3-1 but I can see the argument as to why we won’t. 

I wish Gerrard would have stuck with 4 3 3 / 4 2 3 1 formation as the squad had been built for that formation. To go to the 4 3 2 1 and 4 3 1 2 meant - AEG, Trez, Bailey, Traore, JPB too, all not needed anymore as they are wide players. It would also have meant we had a coach building on what had worked well from this team and for many teams in this League. Reslts would have been better than they have been.

I do think Ramsey and McGinn have done well tbh. I think it's tough on them learning the defensive aspects without a quality central defensive player in between them. Especially McGinn, he keeps having to be aware of the issues Luiz has in his role. It's like last season when McGinn was asked to work in double pivot. I think in Ramsey and McGinn we have goals it could be transformed with a Bissouma/Phillips in there. 

Konsa                     Ming's

Chambers

Cash                                             Young

Doug       Ramsey       McGinn

Coutinho           Watkins 

5 at the back, allowing  Young and Cash to push on,  3 in the middle , any 3 of Doug, McGinn, Sansom, Nakamba, Ramsey or another. Then 2 up top, we have plenty of options but let's start with Coutinho and Watkins. 

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I could see us getting badly exposed on the left if we did this. Or right down the middle. I don’t think coutinho can play part of a midfield 3

Â