Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

28 minutes ago, useless said:

We had a good January transfer window,

Digne is an upgrade on Targett and has done fine, I would have preferred Hickey, but can't complain about a player that's a full France international, if he was to leave us now he'd end up at a club in a better position than us,

Coutinho is probably one of the best players we've had playing for us, so not sure how that can be viewed as a negative,

and Chambers has done well, basically £15m plus player we got for free, I'd put him in a similar category to Targett in terms of how good he is.

We had a left back who was maybe 75% as good as Digne and our 'players' player of the year. He was obviously popular amongst the squad and he was then let go on loan. Did this build the team spirit? I would doubt it, in fact after losing Grealish, Smith and then Target I would say its probably helped destroy it. Digne is now injured and we are now relying on Young. It hasn't worked out. 

Coutinho is a great player but he's a Loan player and he's stopping our own players developing.

Chambers is a decent signing but we already had cover in that area, Hause. 

All decent signings when took in isolation but they haven't strengthened the team enough to improve our results. 

Where we needed strength was midfield, even if we loaned a half decent DM it would have improved the team far more than the signings we actually made. 

It was a misguided transfer window, much like last summer when we brought 3 players to replace 1 and none of them played on the left side with any real form. 

It may seem negative but this is actually happening right in front of ours eyes, good players have been signed but they have been the wrong fit for us, Digne being the most useful. Whoever is behind these signings does not seem to know what we needed when most of us did, scary. 

• Like 2

Most people on here were moaning about Targett's performances before he went on loan, the claims were that out of all our players he had had the biggest drop off in performance from last season, that he couldn't do it without Grealish, that he only played well last season because there were no crowds, I was actually one of the notable few that refuted those claims.

Coutinho is a massive improvent on anything we already have, and playing and training with him can only be good for the other players development. With that signing it's not just about what he does on the pitch either, but it's also a statement of intent from our owners of their ambition and the kind of quality they want to bring into the club, not sure how anyone can spin the Coutinho move into a negative.

Chambers is completely different to Hause, he can play more positions, and is a better footballer.

People talk about the new players not improving us, but they've barely had ten games in which they'd all done fine, they're not the ones that have been the problem, some question marks over the way they're managed, but also a lot of the other players not good enough, and by not good enough I mean not good enough to get us any higher than midtable.

Also I'm pretty sure under the last manager peope kept going on about 'patience' with regards to new signings, and now suddenly a couple of them are expected to change our results after a handful of games.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, og1874 said:

I’m not actually sure we have sufficient players to set up anything but a bottom 8 standard midfield. Several very good players, but we basically have 4 sides of a box - it’s useless without the other bits

He's already had one window to rectify that. Should've been top priority. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, og1874 said:

When talking about Digne and Targett, people seem to forget how utterly inept Matty was for us this season. He was absolutely awful

Has Digne been better? For 25 million and 80k a week more

49 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

For a former midfielder and supposed premier league great he really has no idea how to set up the midfield. 

And I mean if that isn't ringing huge alarm bells for any Villa fan then I don't know what else would. 

The McGinn thing is a huge problem. Dropped Luiz last week, Sanson this week but never McGinn 

2 players he dropped did nothing wrong 

Just now, Zatman said:

Has Digne been better? For 25 million and 80k a week more

Yeah, he has been better. That’s not saying much, but do you not remember us getting targeted (no pun intended) down our left game after game after game while Matty was playing? He was brilliant last year, but a pub player this year, for whatever reason

8 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Yeah, he has been better. That’s not saying much, but do you not remember us getting targeted (no pun intended) down our left game after game after game while Matty was playing? He was brilliant last year, but a pub player this year, for whatever reason

Targett had one bad game vs Watford when he wasnt fit, except for that he was ok. Nothing special 

Digne on the other hand has been a poor signing. I cant remember a good performance yet. Rafa saw through him at Everton and was a sign

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Yes he has been better, the issue is they let the back up go

Hasn't been as good as Targett most games last season once yet.

Not value for that kind of money.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Hasn't been as good as Targett most games last season once yet.

Not value for that kind of money.

The reason he was bought in was Targett was nowhere near his previous years levels either (that includes under Smith, not just Gerrard). 

so on this year’s Targett, he had been an improvement but thought it was daft allowing MT out on loan once Lucas had signed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure he's been that much better. He's certainly not better than Targett of last season.

Or Eddie Howe's version. 

Edited by Dale

8 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Let him go because he was spineless and didn't want to fight for his place.

But he never had a chance to fight for his place that was the issue. Was no chance Targett if played well he would start and us having a 25 million left back on 130k a week sitting on the bench

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Let him go because he was spineless and didn't want to fight for his place.

I think that's harsh. A new manager came in and the first permanent signing he made was to replace him. 

• Like 1

Â