The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we dropped  a b*llock in not bringing in  a box to box midfielder in the summer. That should have been a higher priority than randomly buying Ings.  £25 million for a 29 year old who gets injured a lot. We made a couple of offers to Smith Rowe and JWP and then we gave up. I am not sure if that was a Smith decision or  a Lange/Purslow call. Did Deano say he was happy enough for Ramsey or did the club just say no you have spent enough for now? Who  knows but is its biting us in the arse now.

Edited by The Fun Factory

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I really, really disagree about McGinn, OBE - I just don't see how you can argue that he's good enough for a top half team. I don't see it in his performances and I can't find any data analysis to help me understand what I'm supposed to be missing either. 

He was superb in the Championship and besides a few memorable flashes in the prem, he's looked way off the required quality.  

I think he's good enough, but I can see why there'd be the argument that he's not where we need to be - in terms of where that puts him in our squad though, it's almost immaterial - he's one of our best two midfielders and there's a gap to the next three - three of the four of other players I'm comparing him to there are currently unavailable.

We're a mile off starting without him.

I'd love for us to be in a position where we could have the discussion, but for now it's a moot point.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We needed a defensive midfielder, someone with that mythical bit of muscle that gets TRO so excited AND we needed a box to box man who can pass a ball.

Our midfield is miles away from those of the teams we want to compete with.

You don't think Sanson can be the latter?

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We needed a defensive midfielder, someone with that mythical bit of muscle that gets TRO so excited AND we needed a box to box man who can pass a ball.

and many in the ground talking the same thing.....we miss Jack, but we never replaced Gareth Barry, with similar quality.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

spot on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I really, really disagree about McGinn, OBE - I just don't see how you can argue that he's good enough for a top half team. I don't see it in his performances and I can't find any data analysis to help me understand what I'm supposed to be missing either. 

He was superb in the Championship and besides a few memorable flashes in the prem, he's looked way off the required quality.  

Mercurial..too inconsistent to be a regular, moving forward.

I love him when he's on his game, but when is off it, he is pants.

but one of the reasons behind our team inconsistency....Our midfeild is not Premier league Ready.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think McGinn on his day is a top half midfielder, but when he's bad he's bad and has never shown the consistency to justify being a mainstay in a team that either is or even aspiring to be one as Villa are. Unfortunately however we've yet to have the depth in that area of the pitch for that not to be the case though. I still hold out hope that Luiz in the 6 and McGinn/Sanson as 8s is our best, most balanced midfield line-up that could compete with most of the league but I hold out less hope that'll ever become much of an occurrence.

Luiz has been the shining light in midfield this season though. It's been noticeable in a negative way any time he's been out of the side. 

• Like 1

I would hope that if anyone was in the slightest doubt of what kind of midfielder we need.

Rice and Soucek, was right before our eyes......they are the kind of midfielders we should be scouting for, to give our team the much needed balance it craves.

McGinn struggles with build up play as soon as it starts getting anywhere near being intricate. And Watkins does also. And people wonder why Buendia is struggling.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we dropped  a b*llock in not bringing in  a box to box midfielder in the summer. That should have been a higher priority than randomly buying Ings.  £25 million for a 29 year old who gets injured a lot. We made a couple of offers to Smith Rowe and JWP and then we gave up. I am not sure if that was a Smith decision or  a Lange/Purslow call. Did Deano say he was happy enough for Ramsey or did the club just say no you have spent enough for now? Who  knows but is its biting us in the arse now.

Hindsight is what most of us have to rely on, in the absence of visionaries.

I agree. He has some sublime moments, but for every man of the match performance, he has a game where he's one of the worst on the pitch. Much likes Mings, really. If these players could play at a minimum of 80% of their best week in, week out, they wouldn't be playing for us.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

McGinn struggles with build up play as soon as it starts getting anywhere near being intricate. And Watkins does also. And people wonder why Buendia is struggling.

its ball control, we are not blessed with it and why Jack stood out like the North star.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I agree. He has some sublime moments, but for every man of the match performance, he has a game where he's one of the worst on the pitch. Much likes Mings, really. If these players could play at a minimum of 80% of their best week in, week out, they wouldn't be playing for us.

They would, because we would be further up the league...lauding it.

We as a fanbase, needs to be sure, really sure of what we have....Maybe, just Maybe, Dean is realising that some are just not as good as he thought they was.....maybe he has been a bit too loyal.

8 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think McGinn on his day is a top half midfielder, but when he's bad he's bad and has never shown the consistency to justify being a mainstay in a team that either is or even aspiring to be one as Villa are. Unfortunately however we've yet to have the depth in that area of the pitch for that not to be the case though. I still hold out hope that Luiz in the 6 and McGinn/Sanson as 8s is our best, most balanced midfield line-up that could compete with most of the league but I hold out less hope that'll ever become much of an occurrence.

Luiz has been the shining light in midfield this season though. It's been noticeable in a negative way any time he's been out of the side. 

I am genuinely not trying to be argumentative....but what we was lacking on sunday, I don't think Luiz would have made much difference, sure his passing may of helped, but he would not have stopped them any more that the other players did.

but I respect your opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Makes me wonder if it'd be worth giving Iroegbunam a game at some point. I know it's a lot of pressure for a young player, but he's 19 and seems to have a lot of the qualities we're missing. 

I know it's an easy thing to say when it's not your neck on the line and the backlash could be huge were he to have done it and it gone wrong, but I honestly would have had him in for Nakamba last night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Makes me wonder if it'd be worth giving Iroegbunam a game at some point. I know it's a lot of pressure for a young player, but he's 19 and seems to have a lot of the qualities we're missing. 

it seems he is of a type, a bit different from the rest.....but the physical step up is huge.

sure the likes of Conor Gallagher and Saka have done it with aplomb as has livamento and a few others.....but they have to be ready for it, catch 22, I know.....but when you are 3 points from the danger zone, its a big risk and a lot of pressure for a young lad.

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We literally just needed a better player than Nakamba. Not even a top drawer DM, but someone who could challenge Luiz for a place and keep Nakamba out of the lineup. Surely not the hardest ask?

Impossible to know who’s at fault, though. Is Smith too confident that he doesn’t need that kind of player, or are the owners too reluctant to spend in the market.

Â