The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

43 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Who’ll start tomorrow? if no McGinn. 
I think Luiz and Nakamba would be unexciting, although it might give Luiz some freedom to show what can he do offensively. Him and Ramsey could do sone good work offensively.  
Would like Cairney to play but I doubt that. I’d say JPB too but then we’d have Buendia as a midfielder and again we’ll be overrun. I’d start JPB instead of El Ghazi but you can’t take El Ghazi out after 2 goals and assists. I doubt Smith would’ve done even if he didn’t score those. 
Anyway, I think this game is a chance for Cairney and JPB to have more minutes before the international break. Once we have Bailey, Sanson, McGinn and Watkins back things would be more difficult. 

Anyway I think tomorrow’s game is going to be so hard. I can’t even think of beating them. That’s what 3 years in the Championship done to us. 
But things eventually changes. We haven’t beaten Newcastle for 8 years. But now they're the ones who didn’t beat us for 4-5 years. 

If McGinn or Sanson is not fit.

I would play in the 1-2 or 2-1......Axel, Luiz & Ramsey.

I just don't know who is and isn't fit.

Edited by TRO

• 3 weeks later...

I'll use this thread instead because I thought tonight as a unit it really clicked, all of them had their moments and all doing different things, mcginn pressing, Luiz intercepting, Ramsey on the ball 

It just worked as a combination 

I would say my biggest worry coming in to this season and tonight I wasn't worried at all

Need consistency though 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hang on. I'm sure I was told that teams would roll through us with this midfield.

That the window was a let down because we didn't sign a 6 ft 4 monster. 

Imagine if someone told us a year ago that we'd be starting a midfield 3 of McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey and they'd be the best midfield we'd had in a decade, bossing Manchester United at their place. 

Huge credit to all the midfielders and coaches. The effort, bravery and cohesion has been a sight to behold. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hang on. I'm sure I was told that teams would roll through us with this midfield.

“Over-run”

My least favourite nonsense football word.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I knew this was coming 😂.

Luiz and McGinn have started so well this year, they’re superb in there and Ramsey (although poor today) has been excellent. 

Long may it continue!

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Correct. We had a terrible window.

Not even slightly bad, terrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If we'd have pulled out of Buendia deal because we thought Jacob Ramsey was good enough, there would have been riots. Yet here he is keeping Buendia out the team. Yes, I know it's a long season, squad depth etc.. but just shows how suddenly he has stepped his game up, and by how much. The three of them work together as a unit incredibly well, one pressing always pressing, always options for passes when in possession and excellent carrying with the ball, and they seem to share those responsibilities well, making it very difficult for the opposition to track. I think this tactic has caught opposition off guard so far and we need to be prepared for them having a counter for it, but early signs of this 3-5-2 is very promising.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We need at least 2 DMs otherwise we'll be shit! 

To be fair the Liverpool midfield 3 have always looked workmanlike and look at the Utd midfield 2 today, you'd be hard pressed to call any of those players world beaters on their own.

Our midfield 3 look like a unit and thats what's needed, let the flair players and match winners like Kourtney Hause win the game!

• Like 2

Liverpool have to play with three workman like midfielders to compensate for the fact that their fullbacks play virtually as wingers, and their front three is basically three strikers rather than as is the case with most other front threes one striker and two wingers.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Liverpool have to play with three workman like midfielders to compensate for the fact that their fullbacks play virtually as wingers, and their front three is basically three strikers rather than as is the case with most other front threes one striker and two wingers.

Totally agree, each of their front 3 are capable of winning games on their own, and that midfield 3 let's them do their stuff, their middle 3 rarely contributes directly to goals scored. Our middle 3 just need to win their battles and let Bailey/Watkins/Ings/Traore/Buendia score and create the goals.

If McGinn and Luiz had shown the form they are showing this season, for most of the back end of last season,  I wouldn't have been worried about a "missing" DM.

Not to mention the step up Ramsey has made. 

The 3 we have got at the moment is working wonders, complementing each other well, and they've all made a big step up in performance levels.  Long may it continue.

Love that Buendia and Sanson could easily come in and I wouldn't feel like our midfield is any weaker. Even Nakamba wouldn't fill me with fear!

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

If McGinn and Luiz had shown the form they are showing this season, for most of the back end of last season,  I wouldn't have been worried about a "missing" DM.

I worry about them getting tired after New Year's again. We're doing to need Sanson and Nakamba when the fixture list gets busy around Christmas so they stay fresh.

• Like 1

Â