General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

On 21/01/2021 at 00:11, StefanAVFC said:

The amount of people quoting the rule verbatim from PGMOL and not reading what's exactly written 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, the words in black and white were used by the officials to "explain" their decision. Their (apparent) interpretation is that "receiving" the ball includes "collecting" it (i.e. nicking it of Tyrone's feet). Most supporters view is that this is not what is intended - that tackling is what he did, and that is not permitted under Law 11.

TV and radio and so on have mostly taken the "clarification" from the officials and reported that. Some media have said "that's mad" and others have said "them's the rules".

In other words people are reading what is written. The debate is around whether we accept the interpretation (spin) put on it by the officials - particularly around what "receiving" means, or whether we don't. Most of us think the Officials are protecting one of their own, rather than saying - "yeah, hands up, he made a mistake".

You will never ever stop humans making mistakes. With refereeing it's really important to own up and accept mistakes and not repeat them. It's really important not to deny it. The lino should have flagged and the Ref should have spotted it regardless. VAR should have looked at it (if it didn't) and it shouldn't have been given (IMO). But, going on the officials statements, then it was a legitimate goal. The issue therefore is the statement is incorrect, not that people aren't reading it. I dunno if that makes sense?

1 hour ago, ChrisVillan said:

It'll happen again this weekend, go the other way like it has the previous billion times it's happened, and nobody will say a word. 100%.

It happened last night at the end of the Liverpool/Burnley game

Long ball forward towards Chris Wood who is offside. Wood doesn't even actively challenge, lets the defender win the header, and Liverpool pickup possession.

Flag goes up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisVillan said:

It'll happen again this weekend, go the other way like it has the previous billion times it's happened, and nobody will say a word. 100%.

very much this

which will then lead to the next bit of bollocks, that he was so far offside that he had no influence on mings, which because of the nature of the slow looping ball isn't actually true, by the time that ball hits mings chest and deemed to be "controlled" which seeing as both his heels were off the floor so that tells you what PGMOL know about football, Rodri is surprisingly close to him, by the time the ball hits the floor its pretty much a 50/50

he's so far offside that he's not offside

confused confusion GIF

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The word 'receive' means a passive action. You cannot actively receive something. There's no wiggle room, it's black and white.

For the sake of conversation, really, this is not right. If I am sent a tracked parcel by, I dunno, Amazon or whoever, and I'm out when the postie knocks on the door, he takes it back to the local post office. I then have to go and "collect" my parcel from them. I do that and then Amazon says I've received the parcel. 

Or If I buy a computer off ebay, and with the seller we arrange to collect the parcel half way between our two locations, then I recieve it "actively". 

I mention this because I used the word "collect" in my post in terms of what the refs are saying their interpretation of "receive" is. I'm with you that they're weasel words and 99% of the time the Man City player gets flagged off side (because he was, as soon as he tackled TM). But now they've used these weasel words they're gonna have to all start not flagging similar situations, or look like words removed (more so).

1 minute ago, blandy said:

For the sake of conversation, really, this is not right. If I am sent a tracked parcel by, I dunno, Amazon or whoever, and I'm out when the postie knocks on the door, he takes it back to the local post office. I then have to go and "collect" my parcel from them. I do that and then Amazon says I've received the parcel. 

Or If I buy a computer off ebay, and with the seller we arrange to collect the parcel half way between our two locations, then I recieve it "actively". 

I mention this because I used the word "collect" in my post in terms of what the refs are saying their interpretation of "receive" is. I'm with you that they're weasel words and 99% of the time the Man City player gets flagged off side (because he was, as soon as he tackled TM). But now they've used these weasel words they're gonna have to all start not flagging similar situations, or look like words removed (more so).

No.

Example 1: Amazon sent it and you received it. They are active, you are passive. Regardless of the medium in which you collect it.

Example 2: The action of the receiving it is a passive action by yourself. You may drive and meet halfway but the seller will give to you in the end.  He had it, and he gave it to you. You didn't take it from him against his will. The word receive has to include some some of directional consent from the 'giving' party. Rodri couldn't have received the ball from Mings because Mings made no action towards him deliberately.  

Otherwise, I could steal a car and say that I received it from the owner and everything is okay.

You cannot actively receive anything. it isn't possible. Even if you take any steps in between, the last step will always be passive by yourself. Much in the same way you can't passively give something. Directional language is pretty black and white.

This is all very pedantic but the word receive is used in the law pretty deliberately IMO, to indicate an active pass or header or whatever towards the offside player. Not that the offside player can somehow become active and tackle somebody from behind. The fact that this is probably the first example of anything like this proves that point I would say.

It isn't 'weasel words'. it's wrong. The law doesn't say what they're saying it says. It's as simple as that. 

As for the last point, we both know they won't stop flagging these situations. Every other time it's offside, because it's offside.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

very much this

which will then lead to the next bit of bollocks, that he was so far offside that he had no influence on mings, which because of the nature of the slow looping ball isn't actually true, by the time that ball hits mings chest and deemed to be "controlled" which seeing as both his heels were off the floor so that tells you what PGMOL know about football, Rodri is surprisingly close to him, by the time the ball hits the floor its pretty much a 50/50

he's so far offside that he's not offside

confused confusion GIF

Also goes back to the point that people say Mings should have just cleared it because Rodri is near him.

Okay, so the offside player is making him change the way he would normally deal with this situation, ergo influencing, ergo offside.

The only solution that doesn't give City an advantage is letting it run, but no defender is letting that run. Ever. Farcical. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It’s not even 99% though blandy, it’s 100%. That is why this one is so hard to take (I know you know this and you’ve inadvertently fallen into being the ‘other side’ of this debate).

As I’ve said previously, I hope that someone with enough will and time on their hands could go back through this season and select all the similar instances and I can guarantee that each one will have been flagged, whether it’s offside or not is not in debate, or at least shouldn’t be, as you’ve said what they should have done (and, as they have in the past at times) is come out and admitted it was an error.

I’d still be pissed off but it would be better than these attempts to normalise what happened.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

The partisan nature of football fans are a huge reason of why they will continue to get away with not being held up to any real scrutiny imo.

People only real care is when it negatively effects their side and when it happens in your favour or even neutrally there’s always an air of “yeah well we’ve had x happen” or “that evens it up from x” - And Im sure us collectively are just as guilty of this.

Something needs to change but it feels a little like trying to put the genie back in the bottle now.

Even the fact they didn't bother checking our first goal tonight because the defender tried to clear it is ridiculous, what's he supposed to do, have eyes in the back of his head to judge whether Watkins is offside and so decide not to go for it?  He would look a right idiot if he just left it and Watkins turned out to be onside anyway.  They've truly **** this up like everything else.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hornso said:

It wasn’t offside because Watkins was behind the ball.

I really dont think he was. 

Also they said they didnt even check it because Schar played it. So whether he was or not is irrelevant based on their reinvention of the rules. 

Â