General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

On 25/01/2021 at 10:08, blunther said:

This this this a thousand times. I've been saying it yet I get looked at like I have two heads for suggesting the game is corrupt. It's worth billions, with billions staked each week, almost exclusively sponsored by foreign bookies, and with governing bodies as bent as the PL, UEFA and FIFA and refs are paid a comparative pittance. Of COURSE corruption and match fixing is rife, it would be miraculous if it was otherwise. You'd need comparative pennies to buy a ref. £50k into a secret offshore bank account for chucking us a dodgy pen here, a dodgy offside decision there, of course it happens and of course they take it. VAR is just one more official that can be bought. VAR is probably the best one to buy off as it's so secretive and inscrutable.

Nah we're an uncorruptable breed. We're English lions mate. Not like them foreigners - all on the take.

Manchester United get confirmation of 'wrong decisions' against Blades - Solskjaer

The match delegate for Manchester United's 2-1 loss to Sheffield United said the hosts were on the wrong end of two key decisions, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer revealed on Monday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55893555

No doubt nothing would have been said if it was the other way around

Wtf GIFs | Tenor

No impact on the game itself, but the penalty to Man Utd and red card for Bednarek last night is an absolutely disgraceful decision.

Definitely did impact the game - the red card to David Luiz is an absolutely disgraceful decision.

This is what VAR is for, surely?  Overturn these **** travesties. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Apparently i read that Luiz red card was officially the right decision. 😲

It's ridiculous.  He makes no challenge at all, but the Wolves player kicks him when running through.  If Luiz isn't there then he's getting a shot away/probably scoring, but it's just not even a challenge.  How the hell can a red card be given?!  I guess it's similar to the Martial incident.

To sum up - Bednarek is coming across to make a challenge, Martial is expecting contact and starts to fall over.  Bednarek pulls out of the challenge and Martial brushes his leg as he's falling over.  Ludicrous that it's given as a penalty... BUT, as per the analysis on MOTD, apparently a red card is the correct decision because Bednarek didn't make an attempt to win the ball.  If he'd actually dived to ground and slid in, it would've been a yellow.  However, because he did literally nothing at all, a red card is correct.

Leon Osman and Dion Dublin just sat there laughing.  I mean, what the ****? 😐 

Edited by bobzy

In the defence of the David Luiz decision (and Bednarek) - the same thing happened with Pogba and our Luiz this season and that was given.

A player running into the defender and winning a pen.

In my eyes, that is not a penalty, but at least it is consistent with previous decisions. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55922560

Southampton have requested referee Mike Dean does not officiate their upcoming fixtures and will appeal the red card shown to defender Jan Bednarek in their 9-0 loss to Manchester United.

When do we start talking about a crisis in officiating in the Premier league?

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Apparently i read that Luiz red card was officially the right decision. 😲

Only in the same way that they claimed the Man City goal against us was the correct decision.

The rule about red cards states: “Players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead. But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card."

Both incidents last night were accidental fouls (without getting into a debate whether they were fouls or dives or just contact), and so clearly shouldn't have been red cards. I'm not sure which part of the rules they've decided to interpret in order to justify the decisions, but once again they're clearly in the wrong.

Edited by fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think it will take a big name to bring it up. The only top manager I could see ranting about it consistently is Jose and nobody really listens to him anymore. 

it's interesting, they've also asked that Mason doesn't take any of their games in future either - there are only 19 referees in the Premier league group. If Southampton have this request granted, they're influencing the decisions on which officials they get, but if they don't then there could well be a natural bias from referee's who know Southampton have tried to have them removed. I can see other clubs having an opinion.

Of the nineteen referees:

• Martin Atkinson
  • Stuart Attwell
  • Peter Bankes
  • David Coote
  • Mike Dean
  • Darren England
  • Kevin Friend
  • Simon Hooper
  • Rob Jones
  • Chris Kavanagh
  • Andy Madley
  • Andre Marriner
  • Lee Mason
  • Jon Moss
  • Michael Oliver
  • Craig Pawson
  • Graham Scott
  • Anthony Taylor
  • Paul Tierney

I can honestly say that I don't trust three of them in terms of their integrity and their ability - it'd be lovely to not have those three referee Villa in future, but what happens when every club picks the same official they don't want? 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can honestly say that I don't trust three of them in terms of their integrity and their ability - it'd be lovely to not have those three referee Villa in future, but what happens when every club picks the same official they don't want? 

Dean, Friend and Moss?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

it's interesting, they've also asked that Mason doesn't take any of their games in future either - there are only 19 referees in the Premier league group. If Southampton have this request granted, they're influencing the decisions on which officials they get, but if they don't then there could well be a natural bias from referee's who know Southampton have tried to have them removed. I can see other clubs having an opinion.

Of the nineteen referees:

• Martin Atkinson
  • Stuart Attwell
  • Peter Bankes
  • David Coote
  • Mike Dean
  • Darren England
  • Kevin Friend
  • Simon Hooper
  • Rob Jones
  • Chris Kavanagh
  • Andy Madley
  • Andre Marriner
  • Lee Mason
  • Jon Moss
  • Michael Oliver
  • Craig Pawson
  • Graham Scott
  • Anthony Taylor
  • Paul Tierney

IN Serie A around early 2000s a number of big clubs didnt want Collina refereeing the games and the league approved this. Wasnt long before the match fixing scandal actually happened

I think the other issue is if Dean or Mason referee a Southampton game now they might also be influenced to help them with decisions

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

There isn't a day of Premier League games that happen now without some controversy. 

Its a farce and in some cases, looks corrupt. 

Exactly. Deano should get his fine money back because his guess was clearly correct.

To be fair to Southampton, I think we probably made the same request about Friend as we haven't had him since the Palace debacle.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Only in the same way that they claimed the Man City goal against us was the correct decision.

The rule about red cards states: “Players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead. But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card."

Both incidents last night were accidental fouls (without getting into a debate whether they were fouls or dives or just contact), and so clearly shouldn't have been red cards. I'm not sure which part of the rules they've decided to interpret in order to justify the decisions, but once again they're clearly in the wrong.

They highlighted the bit about 'not playing the ball' completely omitting the 'accidental foul' bit. One of my (football savvy) mates from home said it was, until I pointed out the accidental foul bit.

It's all a nonsense.

• Thanks 1

Â