General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

By "going with it" and doing nothing, these rules will continue to stand.  You need to make it more farcical to prove a point.

It's not interpreting the rules differently - it's doing exactly what they have said is now allowed on a football pitch.

Oh I agree that if that’s the rule they’re going with then it’s a valid tactic. I was disagreeing with you saying that you don’t mind if they want to interpret the rules that way.

Nobody in their right mind would interpret the rules that way and it makes a bit of a mockery of the game doing it. It’s as blatant an offside decision as you’ll ever see and it’s the sort of situation which has always been a routine offside.

I’d rather they’d come out and admitted the error they’ve made than it be necessary for teams to have to “prove a point.” It’s not a difficult decision to get right and I have no idea why they think that this is the correct call on this. 

Sets precedent as well if they bend the rules to abdicate any fault from one of their refs. Moving forward any offside given for a similar situation is objectively wrong according to PGMOL.

40 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The amount of people quoting the rule verbatim from PGMOL and not reading what's exactly written 🤷‍♂️

Bending over backwards to have it.

The whistle would have gone in any "big game" or at the other end for us.

They'll change the wording inside two months.

Mike Dean, Kevin Friend, Michael Oliver, and Jonathan Moss, the shit list just keeps growing. It would probably be better if we had championship refs officiating our games, at least with incompetent refs rather than corrupt ones we would have a chance.

It actually works against us that Andre Marriner is a Villa fan. I think he is the pick of the bunch.

• Like 2

Just remembered the only time they admitted they were wrong was City away last season.

Gave a goal with video evidence in front of everyone that it shouldn't have stood. That was alarm bells for me.

You have to hand it to PGMOL, they've handled this brilliantly. Very Trumpian, almost like a textbook movie villain. 

They justify the decision using a completely different rule, and deliberately both vague and credible language. 

It's lapped up by the media who read it verbatim without questioning that it doesnt make sense, which then is passed onto fans who do the same. 

Come next game, someone will be called offside in a similar situation and nobody will give a shit. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If whistle had gone, do you think Pep would have picked it out as a bad decision?

Not a chance. It would be immediately forgotten about by everyone involved, just like the countless times before when identical situations have been called offside. 

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

My biggest problem with the incident is that the assistant didn't initially flag once the header goes back out to Mings where Rodri is very much offside.  

They do that now to see what develops. I don’t necessarily have a problem with that to be honest. 

You'll almost never see this again because players coming back from an offside position know they aren't allowed to tackle defenders so they never do until they've got back onside. Unless they're just doing it to force the offside freekick like Ronaldo last night.

But I guess some players might try doing this from now on just to create some uncertainty with the refs because they won't have a clue what do now the precedent is set but it goes against everything they've ever known.

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

If whistle had gone, do you think Pep would have picked it out as a bad decision?

As stated previously by others, this is one of the problems. Post-match all Pep said was "that's what VAR is there for". Guarantee if it's the other way around he's whinging non-stop. Nothing is going to change (and even then it probably won't) until managers on the beneficial end of these farcical decisions come out saying "I thought it was the wrong call, we got lucky with that one".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

You have to hand it to PGMOL, they've handled this brilliantly. Very Trumpian, almost like a textbook movie villain. 

They justify the decision using a completely different rule, and deliberately both vague and credible language. 

It's lapped up by the media who read it verbatim without questioning that it doesnt make sense, which then is passed onto fans who do the same. 

Come next game, someone will be called offside in a similar situation and nobody will give a shit. 

Yup, people are posting the rule abouut Mings "deliberately playing the ball". It's irrelevant, nobody is complaining about him being offside from Mings' touch.

11 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

Wasn’t there an official who said ‘we can’t be having another Leicester’ or words to that effect. 

I vaguely recall that being from some club owner / UEFA suit in relation to them qualifying for the Champion's League (rather than a more lucrative opponent I suppose) - I'll see if my google-fu is up to being able to dig anything out on this.

As for that decision, I can't help but feel the PGMOL/PL are just bending/twisting what's codified in the laws to support the referee's original decision; I have never been a big fan of having referees explain decisions after the fact, but having them mic'd up during the game would certainly shine a harsher (in every sense of the word) light on their competence (which is probably why it'll never happen).

Â