General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

There's an average of 20.9 fouls per game in the PL

27 today, it killed the game, no flow no momentum, it was horrible to watch 

It's bizarre how sometimes brushing someone is a foul yet putting one on someone touching the ball but absolutely nailing the player in the process isn't 

Tarkowski had 2 very naughty tackles today and neither were a freekick

There were at least 3 tackles in that game worse than DCLs red card 

• Like 2

the yellow for Tarkowski was also pathetic. (NB: i'm not saying the challenge was, because I think that's a foul. But Coote didn't call a foul and Tarkowski wasn't really involved in the melee afterwards) 

He definitely deserved at least a yellow for some of the challenges throughout the game

The tieleman yellow was the worst call for me. It was a soft foul (if it was even a foul that's questionable), all it was the ref played up by his own emotion and basically booking the next (villa) player who would make a foul. 

Most of our clean wins on 50-50s were blown as a foul when the opposition can do the same.

Ref and PGMOL were bad Vs sheff, but this is prob the worst individual ref performance so far this season

Plus, ref was looking the wrong way what would have been second yellow for Thugowski on Ollie

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 3

The laws of the game are about as clear as mud, the application of said rules are entirely random and the implementation of VAR has shown that giving referees more tools and resources miraculously makes them WORSE. I don't get why clubs put up with it anymore and I don't see how it's a remotely tenable situation.

Yellow for Ollie for Tarkowski headbutting his elbow after he’d won the header but then he was pulled, kicked and fouled for 90 and won maybe 1 foul?

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yellow for Ollie for Tarkowski headbutting his elbow after he’d won the header but then he was pulled, kicked and fouled for 90 and won maybe 1 foul?

Ref gave it based on the injury 

The injury was unfortunate, definitley contact obviously but it was annoying as thats something tarkowski does 10 times a game 

They commentators also made very little of tarkowski kicking through Ollie after his yellow card too

But the worst yellow card offence was colman, unbelievable he didn't get one, during injury time in the first half he fouled both diaby and Moreno while they were breaking which should be an automatic card, he also spent pretty much the entire game trying to ref it himself, constantly shouting at the ref 

Again the transparency is awful. Not seen if there has been more coverage of the disallowed goal, and have seen the lines that were shown after the decision.

At no point from what we saw on TV we could see them make that decision and why if that was decided that did they start looking at the following play?

As the pundits said, maybe it could be called a foul before even looking at offside. With claret and blue tinted glasses both were as bad as each other but you could see why that may be called a foul.

In both games (Brentford/Everton) David Coote has failed to de-escalate the bad temper and properly control the players. It is a pattern now. The most shocking thing was that aggressive challenges were allowed by Everton without punishment!

It all started with the lunge into Martinez's chest early on 😐, setting the tone for what was to follow. Tarkowski made three fouls worthy of yellow cards in blatant view of the ref. Nothing. Then DC would penalise something trivial.

I did not like Coote's demeanour during the melee too - it is always stand offish and looking lost. Get in between them, defuse it! Show your authority!!!. He usually waits and then picks out a player to book (usually one of our lot) for absolutely nothing in the context of it.

I hope Villa respectfully request for Coote not to officiate another one of our games this season. I do not trust him.

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

The Lenglet yellow was the one that confused me most. Had had Dougie, Tarkowski, Coleman all getting involved. Legnlet basically did nothing. Just shows a referee that has no idea what's going on, lost control of the game and dishes out random yellows.

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

The Lenglet yellow was the one that confused me most. Had had Dougie, Tarkowski, Coleman all getting involved. Legnlet basically did nothing. Just shows a referee that has no idea what's going on, lost control of the game and dishes out random yellows.

Lenglet pushed someone, who pushed him back (might have been Danjuma?  Can't remember).  The ref booked Langlet - maybe correctly - then no Everton player bar Tarkowski who was booked for "aggressive behaviour" whilst being nowhere near the melee and seemingly saying "it's a throw-in" to the ref as he was called over.

He'd lost control of what was actually going on.

• Like 1

I asked Dale Johnson at ESPN about the 'independent' panel views on the SU incidents.

They all backed the decisions, including the disallowed goal and handball, despite fans and pundits saying otherwise.

What chance do we have when they keep **** up and then patting each other on the back on a job well done?

Just watched the highlights of Bristol City vs West Ham and, to me, it sort of emphasised the "problems" with officiating games or how things are perceived.

There were two flash points - the first is Benrahma kicking out at Williams.  It's probably a fair enough red card (personally, I'd like to see reds for harm rather than petulance but whatever), but it's given because Williams goes down rolling around.  It's pathetic from the Bristol City player, and watching him go to ground is hilarious.  He firstly grabs his arm in pain, then his knee then his ankle in the space of about 2 seconds :D.

Later on, Cresswell gets embroiled in a tangle with Gardner-Hickman with the latter absolutely swinging an arm to the back of Cresswell's head.  It's far more violent than Benrahma's kick out but Cresswell doesn't go to ground, doesn't really make a fuss just sort of puts his arms out as if to say "what's going on?" - both players get booked.

To me, the incidents are incredibly similar.  They're both "violent" outbursts (you could argue studs are more dangerous or that hitting in the head is more dangerous) but one is given because of a pathetic feigning of injury whereas the other isn't because a player just acts normally.

Refs have no chance.  I'd love to see retrospective action on feigning of injury but it will never, ever happen.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Just watched the highlights of Bristol City vs West Ham and, to me, it sort of emphasised the "problems" with officiating games or how things are perceived.

There were two flash points - the first is Benrahma kicking out at Williams.  It's probably a fair enough red card (personally, I'd like to see reds for harm rather than petulance but whatever), but it's given because Williams goes down rolling around.  It's pathetic from the Bristol City player, and watching him go to ground is hilarious.  He firstly grabs his arm in pain, then his knee then his ankle in the space of about 2 seconds :D.

Later on, Cresswell gets embroiled in a tangle with Gardner-Hickman with the latter absolutely swinging an arm to the back of Cresswell's head.  It's far more violent than Benrahma's kick out but Cresswell doesn't go to ground, doesn't really make a fuss just sort of puts his arms out as if to say "what's going on?" - both players get booked.

To me, the incidents are incredibly similar.  They're both "violent" outbursts (you could argue studs are more dangerous or that hitting in the head is more dangerous) but one is given because of a pathetic feigning of injury whereas the other isn't because a player just acts normally.

Refs have no chance.  I'd love to see retrospective action on feigning of injury but it will never, ever happen.

Doesn't he go down holding two body parts because he's kicked in two places? :D 

Looks like balls and leg simultaneously to me.

The most egregious decision was the studs up challenge on Ings not being given even as a foul tbh

“It all started with the lunge into Martinez's chest early on.”

It did.

I noticed the narrative from the pundits was a very dated response.

Basically describing it as Emis fault for playing out from the back,almost like he deserved to get kicked for doing it.He then played a short pass out to Bouba with the resulting freekick which was met by cries of “he’s done it again!”

The way football strategy has developed  has left many people in football behind and I wonder if the ref on Sunday was one of them….

Did he think we deserved to get kicked for playing risky tippy tippy football?

Edited by MarkLillis

Â