General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

I`m I right in thinking that one of Newcastle`s goals against in the season opener was quickly checked for offside, and they also didn`t bother to draw the lines? Or maybe it was an offside ruled goal for us? Anyone remember a similar occurence for us?

I thought at the time that the decision seemed kinda correct, but was quite annoyed that they didn`t show the lines, because then at least i would feel more comfortable the decision was infact correct

• Like 2

1 minute ago, siminjo said:

I`m I right in thinking that one of Newcastle`s goals against in the season opener was quickly checked for offside, and they also didn`t bother to draw the lines? Or maybe it was an offside ruled goal for us? Anyone remember a similar occurence for us?

I thought at the time that the decision seemed kinda correct, but was quite annoyed that they didn`t show the lines, because then at least i would feel more comfortable the decision was infact correct

Not specifically us but a few times this season I've seen tight offside calls with no lines. Everyone assumed they'd used them but not shown the broadcaster but makes me wonder now..

• Like 1

The premier league is a fantastic sporting spectacle and today's games showed it at its best.......

So depressing watching that goal given offside when anyone could see it was onside.

That decsion tainted the whole day and that destroys todays results and harms the premier league.

Those VAR officials needs to be sacked.

So their story is that the VAR was asked to check it, thought the on field decision was "goal" when it was actually offside, quickly looked at it and said "check complete".

And at that point, what, they stopped watching, thought nothing of it when they took kick off, or immediately saw it and just went "oh shiiiiiit....".

56 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That Everton goal against Luton looks dodgy as well. Didn’t change the result, thankfully. 

they checked that for a good 2 to 3 minutes. 

45 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Have they changed the rules about offside players that don't touch the ball but are in the line of sight of the keeper? There have been a few goals lately (two for us) that I'm surprised have stood.

It seems like they have been extremely consistent this year with not calling that unless the offside player is directly impacting (holding) the keeper. 

Now if that is what happens, common sense says as the VAR you then see them take the kick off, and shout "no, stop it, it's a goal", then the ref blows his whistle and says "Phew, that was nearly a big blunder, thanks for the heads up", then Spuds take a kick off.

But apparently, if it's not written into the protocol, this bunch of highly paid professionals just say "computer says no".

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So their story is that the VAR was asked to check it, thought the on field decision was "goal" when it was actually offside, quickly looked at it and said "check complete".

And at that point, what, they stopped watching, thought nothing of it when they took kick off, or immediately saw it and just went "oh shiiiiiit....".

Exactly, they should have stopped the game as soon as they realised, then restarted the from a Spurs kick off after awarding a goal.

1) Linesman rules out a good goal
2) VAR not paying attention allow it to be disallowed 

3) VAR falling to correct the error (their job) when they realised.

A triple fail by the officials.

18 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

It seems like they have been extremely consistent this year with not calling that unless the offside player is directly impacting (holding) the keeper. 

Yes, and I'm actually ok with it as long as they are consistent. I'm just a bit surprised as I don't recall any official notification of a change of implementation of this rule.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Absolutely amateur but not surprised at all. The standard of officiating simply isn't befitting of a league where decisions are worth hundreds of millions of pounds.

The one defence I can offer the refs here is that the wording is stupid. Don’t just say “check complete” say something like “I understand the on-field decision is a goal and I agree. The VAR decision is that a goal has been scored” or whatever. Just something that is totally clear. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

The one defence I can offer the refs here is that the wording is stupid. Don’t just say “check complete” say something like “I understand the on-field decision is a goal and I agree. The VAR decision is that a goal has been scored” or whatever. Just something that is totally clear. 

Yeah maybe they need to change what they say or just make it less formal. I have no idea though why they didn't just apply some common sense when they saw the game was restarting with a free kick, just tell the referee to stop the game again.

Edited by villan95

I've not seen it myself but apparently after the game restarted about a minute later it goes out, he holds his hand up to his ear and holds the game for a second to speak to VAR, and looked absolutely pissed off

So if that's how it played out, some sympathy for the on field ref, because VAR has absolutely thrown him under the bus. What were they doing just sitting in the booth ordering a pizza or having a tug not realising nobody was running back for a kick off? Alt tabbed and checked his OnlyFans perhaps? 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Yeah maybe they need to change what they say or just make it less formal. I have no idea though why they didn't just apply some common sense when they saw the game was restarting with a free kick, just tell the referee to stop the game again.

Actually I’d make it way more formal so that it can’t be misinterpreted. But your point also stands - if you see your message HAS been misinterpreted maybe tell the referee???

• Like 1

Oh let’s also throw in the referee in the Chelsea game not playing the correct amount of stoppage time.

refs have always made dodgy decisions but it has always been human errors and we get over them. Now though, they’re happening all the time and they’re way way more unforgivable.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've not seen it myself but apparently after the game restarted about a minute later it goes out, he holds his hand up to his ear and holds the game for a second to speak to VAR, and looked absolutely pissed off

So if that's how it played out, some sympathy for the on field ref, because VAR has absolutely thrown him under the bus. What were they doing just sitting in the booth ordering a pizza or having a tug not realising nobody was running back for a kick off? Alt tabbed and checked his OnlyFans perhaps? 

Â