General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

Feels to me you don't see that many goals called off due to obstruction of keeper compared to two years ago.

It should've been chalked off. However last week I was actually expecting Diaby's goal to be cancelled as if you watch Ollie is standing infront of the Burnley keeper and he has to peer round him to see where the shot is going.

I just think it was an interpretation that was massively skewed to the defensive side 2-3 years ago (remember that goal McGinn scored at Arsenal and it was disallowed as one of our players was in the vicinity of their keeper) and now most goals are being given.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Feels to me you don't see that many goals called off due to obstruction of keeper compared to two years ago.

It should've been chalked off. However last week I was actually expecting Diaby's goal to be cancelled as if you watch Ollie is standing infront of the Burnley keeper and he has to peer round him to see where the shot is going.

I just think it was an interpretation that was massively skewed to the defensive side 2-3 years ago (remember that goal McGinn scored at Arsenal and it was disallowed as one of our players was in the vicinity of their keeper) and now most goals are being given.

They seem incapable of using common sense. They cant accurately interpret a rule that requires them to use any judgement so there's two options...

Make the rules simpler or get people that aren't corrupet/idiots to operate VAR.

6 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I've given up trying to understand the rules or how they make decisions based on those rules. I may now live a little longer

Same. I'm kind of just resigned to the fact that they're going to try and fix some games.

15 hours ago, The_Steve said:

One of the most overtly corrupt decisions to favour Man City since their offside goal against us

Presumably you think we had an overtly corrupt decision in our favour against Burnley then?  Or is it only when it's Man City? :D 

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Presumably you think we had an overtly corrupt decision in our favour against Burnley then?  Or is it only when it's Man City? :D 

It’s far worse than the Villa one and possibly even the Hearts one from Thursday.

That said, I don’t think our goal should’ve stood in terms of what I think the rules should be. For how the rules are applied now, it would’ve been outrageous to rule out ours. Yet the last two are levels worse.

Just make any offside offside.

• Like 1

It makes you wonder whether more AI is involved in the decision making than we are afforded the knowledge of. 

I thought it was quite symbolic that the first controversy after covid stopped football was the goal line decision between us and sheffield utd. It kind of seemed almost seemed symbolic of - now it is technology that decides what is right or wrong not humans. Obviously it wasn't deliberate, but it planted a thought in my head nonetheless at the time that actually the humanity is disappearing from the game.

I actually do think though that Fabrizio Romano is not a real person, and is more a ghost or AI that reports transfers the moment they are contractually signed / registered on a computer. 

6 minutes ago, Seal said:

It makes you wonder whether more AI is involved in the decision making than we are afforded the knowledge of. 

I thought it was quite symbolic that the first controversy after covid stopped football was the goal line decision between us and sheffield utd. It kind of seemed almost seemed symbolic of - now it is technology that decides what is right or wrong not humans. Obviously it wasn't deliberate, but it planted a thought in my head nonetheless at the time that actually the humanity is disappearing from the game.

I actually do think though that Fabrizio Romano is not a real person, and is more a ghost or AI that reports transfers the moment they are contractually signed / registered on a computer. 

I wish. AI would be impartial.

Unless they just went on Chat GPT and asked 'Please create an refereeing algorithm that makes it possible for Man U to be top 5'.

Without dodgy refs they'd finish 12th at best.

Edit. In seriousness the stuff you mentioned seems to me to be an attempt to make refereeing more empirical. But that is a dumb move. Football can never be reffed like that. There is too much context involved. It's not like baseball or cricket where decisions are binary (in or out, strike or ball). And even in baseball the umpire has some leeway with the strike area.

Empirical decision making doesn't make football refereeing more professional, it removes the ability of refs to act in the spirit of the game, and removes all of their responsibility for being competent.

I say scrap it all. Go back to giving refs full responsibility for the game, and put all that effort into selection and training.

I don't so much care if they make genuine mistakes, it has to be better than making 15 mistakes due to attempts to apply rigid formulas to one of the most complex (in terms of moving parts) games there is.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It’s far worse than the Villa one and possibly even the Hearts one from Thursday.

It's "worse" in that Akanji is closer to the ball, but it's the same thing.  Player in an offside position who is able to play the ball and either attempts to or moves to make it a "dummy" against the keeper.

Both are/should be offside.  The fact that neither were given doesn't point to corruption, but a very odd interpretation of the offside law which is apparently now in the game.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I wish. AI would be impartial.

Unless they just went on Chat GPT and asked 'Please create an refereeing algorithm that makes it possible for Man U to be top 5'.

Without dodgy refs they'd finish 12th at best.

Maybe. I don't necessarily thing AI would be as impartial as believed. I don't think it is actually intelligence in the same way intelligence is intelligence and still is programmed by those who want to benefit from it. I also think that what AI is used in some places is a bit beyond what is seen in chat GPT. Not that I have used chat GPT personally. 

I do agree about Man Utd - same as liverpool in the 90's. Should be sitting in the relegation zone all decisions being proper.

Just now, Seal said:

Maybe. I don't necessarily thing AI would be as impartial as believed. I don't think it is actually intelligence in the same way intelligence is intelligence and still is programmed by those who want to benefit from it. I also think that what AI is used in some places is a bit beyond what is seen in chat GPT. Not that I have used chat GPT personally. 

I do agree about Man Utd - same as liverpool in the 90's. Should be sitting in the relegation zone all decisions being proper.

Yes I was being a bit flippant. It would have the biases of those tasking it, i'm sure. I've added some more thoughts to the original post.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's "worse" in that Akanji is closer to the ball, but it's the same thing.  Player in an offside position who is able to play the ball and either attempts to or moves to make it a "dummy" against the keeper.

Both are/should be offside.  The fact that neither were given doesn't point to corruption, but a very odd interpretation of the offside law which is apparently now in the game.

Yep, you can't have a rule or a principle that then gets in to proximity of the ball, was it going in anyway etc etc just call it offside like anyone with common sense would

Both were offside

Its not corruption it's just years of **** about with the rules paired with ineptitude

Just seen the JWP handball for the first time, absolutely unbelievable it wasn’t given. Remember the one against Grealish that was given? z where it grazed his fingertips and didn’t even change the flight of the ball… how can that be given but the one against West Ham not? Absolute madness.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just seen the JWP handball for the first time, absolutely unbelievable it wasn’t given. Remember the one against Grealish that was given? z where it grazed his fingertips and didn’t even change the flight of the ball… how can that be given but the one against West Ham not? Absolute madness.

The rule has changed 8263893 times since then

Incoming offside rule change again

2 hours ago, Genie said:

West Ham always get decisions going their way. I wasn't surprised at all.

Â