Formula One - 2021

BOF

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

For the first time ever I've watched practice sessions and the F2 race. 

Enjoying it. 

Is Lawson winning his first ever F2 race a big deal?

He also won his final ever F3 race so that's 2 in a row for him. F2 is traditionally not kind on rookies but this class seem to have taken to it like a duck to water. I think it certainly shows that he has the head for it. It puts down a marker at the very least. Red Bull will be happy. 2 drivers in 2 different teams finishing first and second. 

I'd also say that was a pretty uneventful race by F2 standards 😁

• Thanks 1

I love the fact Tsunoda is training himself not to swear so much 😂 Not something you'd normally associate with a Japanese driver but he's got a mouth like a sailor. Brilliant. 

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

He also won his final ever F3 race so that's 2 in a row for him. F2 is traditionally not kind on rookies but this class seem to have taken to it like a duck to water. I think it certainly shows that he has the head for it. It puts down a marker at the very least. Red Bull will be happy. 2 drivers in 2 different teams finishing first and second. 

I do like the idea of sprint races and then a reverse grid. Wonder if that will make it into f1 at some point. 

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

Is it like football and those drivers are basically in the Red Bull youth academy, or could other teams offer them a drive in future?

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Is it like football and those drivers are basically in the Red Bull youth academy, or could other teams offer them a drive in future?

I feel it could work in F1 but only if the rules are right. Maybe if say you can only have one setup for the two races, and the sprint race is sufficiently short that your choice of setup will affect how you perform in each race. If the sprint race has say a small number of points available too it could allow the lesser teams a chance to compete in a limited way.

Of course, they'd probably set it up in such a way that the smaller teams are disadvantaged all round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Wonder if that will make it into f1 at some point. 

It won't. Grid gimmickery is something F1 explicitly doesn't want to do. Penalising success comes in other forms like the development tokens. Messing with the grid in junior formulas is tolerated to try and find the best. F1 is above that nonsense and has said as much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It is like football in that you would have to go to Red Bull if you wanted to sign him. You could even loan him from them too. 

• Like 1

MAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 

Super lap, even better if he did have that supposed floor damage. That was a very enjoyable first qualy of the season. Seb still carrying over his struggles, Gasly flying, no Merc 1-2 and a Max pole, the only disappointment for me was the Checo Q2 exit. I'm sure he can turn that around though. 

Bring on tomorrow. 

• Like 1