Formula One - 2021

BOF

25 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

That Aston borrows heavily from from that merc, engine, gearbox, infotainment, maybe more, there must be an agreement as part of the deal to let Aston in on the action, great exposure for them.

Mercedes own about 20% of Aston Martin I believe.

18 hours ago, Genie said:

Mercedes own about 20% of Aston Martin I believe.

Blimey, that's more than Stroll's dad owns isn't it? That being the case I'm surprised they haven't bagsied that second seat for one of their development drivers... Well their one development driver.

Not sure Stroll would be happy getting steamrolled by Russell though I guess.

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

The green mission winnow logo is painful. Not painfully bad, it actually hurts my eyes on the red background.

It's jarring. It distracts from everything. I know logos are supposed to be noticeable, but I don't think they're meant to be noticeable like that.  In fact the whole livery is a bit of a pavement vomit for me. The UPS, the Rayban, the Mission Winnow.  As liveries go, and as top teams go, that's not a good one.

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's jarring. It distracts from everything. I know logos are supposed to be noticeable, but I don't think they're meant to be noticeable like that.  In fact the whole livery is a bit of a pavement vomit for me. The UPS, the Rayban, the Mission Winnow.  As liveries go, and as top teams go, that's not a good one.

It looks like a mock-up made in PowerPoint.

On 02/03/2021 at 15:25, BOF said:

Cracking set of liveries so far in fairness.

b3621ba203bbb4f2b1451ec7b4eb53f4.jpg

And the final 4 kinda brought down the average a bit. Still a great looking grid all the same.

2b3c77b46e4a7116725c7946feb4b33f.png

1 hour ago, BOF said:

And the final 4 kinda brought down the average a bit. Still a great looking grid all the same.

2b3c77b46e4a7116725c7946feb4b33f.png

Still don't mind the Haas one. Aside from it being a Russian flag obvs. But it's better than the other three in those four.

And I wonder if that Williams is a grower... Sometimes things you immediately dislike end up growing on you. I'll reserve judgement on that until I see it on the track.

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Still don't mind the Haas one. Aside from it being a Russian flag obvs. But it's better than the other three in those four.

I don't mind it being the Russian flag tbh. I just think the livery is something I could do up in 5 minutes, and having the team name along the side too is a little tinpot. I just think it's all amateurish as opposed to it being particularly offensive.

37 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't mind it being the Russian flag tbh. I just think the livery is something I could do up in 5 minutes, and having the team name along the side too is a little tinpot. I just think it's all amateurish as opposed to it being particularly offensive.

This is a valid viewpoint. However, despite that, I still like its simplicity. 

• Like 1

Pre-season testing starts tomorrow from 7am to 11am and then 12pm to 4pm.  Same times on Saturday & Sunday.

Coverage is on Sky Sports F1 from 06:50 :thumb:

17 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

This is a valid viewpoint. However, despite that, I still like its simplicity. 

Yep people who like it are liking its simplicity and I've heard it called a proper racing livery. All fair enough too :thumb:

I am finding it amusing reading those who don't like it solely down to the Russian links :lol: They're in for one long season.

Yeah I think they all look good.  Maybe I'm just happy to have them back :) I like how Nissany has a flashing green light because he doesn't have a super licence.  So an F1 L-plate :lol:  I'd say Kimi's the most likely to tailgate and harrass the learner :P 

Whatever way the rest of the testing and the season goes, it's fair to say day 1 has been a disaster for Mercedes and pretty much perfect for Red Bull. Merc lost the entire morning with gearbox issues and ended up racking up just 48 laps in total in the afternoon. That's 170km of testing and just over 1/3rd of the distance covered by Red Bull.  Red Bull in contrast ran the most amount of laps out of all the teams and set the fastest time for good measure. Things could scarcely have gone better for them with 139 laps over the day, all going to Max Verstappen.

P   DRIVER      TEAM          TIME        GAP
1.  Verstappen, Red Bull,     1m30.674s
2.  Norris,     McLaren,      1m30.889s  +0.215
3.  Ocon,       Alpine        1m31.146s  +0.472
4.  Stroll,     Aston Martin, 1m31.782s  +1.108
5.  Sainz,      Ferrari,      1m31.919s  +1.245
6.  Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo,   1m31.945s  +1.271
7.  Ricciardo,  McLaren,      1m32.203s  +1.529
8.  Gasly,      AlphaTauri,   1m32.231s  +1.557
9.  Tsunoda,    AlphaTauri,   1m32.727s  +2.053
10. Hamilton,   Mercedes,     1m32.912s  +2.238
11. Leclerc,    Ferrari,      1m33.242s  +2.568