Formula One - 2021

BOF

7 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Are the Haas cars really that poor? The fact that both of them have posted such similar performances makes me think they might just be...

I think with 2 rookie drivers on day one of pre-season I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. We've no idea of fuel loads or programmes either.

I'd be more looking at the distance covered, and that wasn't fantastic.  It was 85 laps which was 61% of Red Bull's distance and 8th overall.

P  TEAM          Laps     %      KM
1  Red Bull       139     -      492
2  Alfa Romeo     131   94.24    464
3  Alpine         129   92.81    457
4  Ferrari        116   83.45    411
5  AlphaTauri     111   79.86    393
6  Aston Martin    97   69.78    344
7  McLaren         91   65.47    322
8  Haas            85   61.15    301
9  Williams        83   59.71    294
10 Mercedes        48   34.53    170

• Like 1

MCLAREN FIND LOOPHOLE IN AERO RULES

B78696-F2-C9-C2-4-F65-B5-BD-C32085-BF9-E

McLaren will be extremely happy with their first full day and a half of testing, with Lando Norris finishing the day with the second quickest time and his team mate Daniel Ricciardo in seventh, despite posting the fastest time in the morning session. 

It is a welcome sight to see McLaren at the front, with the new aerodynamic changes posing a challenge for some of the teams this year. Aimed at reducing downforce, it has forced some of the teams to look at ways of recovering the losses, and it seems McLaren may have got it right.

Much of the focus has been on the floors, with Mercedes sporting an intriguing floor design when they broke cover yesterday. There have also been changes in the rules to the brake ducts and the diffuser. It seems McLaren have found a clever way of working around the changes, in particular to the diffuser.

They remained secretive when revealing their car at the beginning of the month, with team personnel hiding the rear of the car, and images released from the “filming day” after the launch showed no images of the rear. Now we know that they did not want to share this new idea of theirs with their rivals.

The diffuser harnesses air flow under the car to create more downforce, so the FIA have ruled that this year, the height of the dividing strakes between it’s channels need to be 50mm shorter, and stick out less far downwards. McLaren have done something a little different that actually allows part of the diffuser to stick out further.

McLaren MCL35 diffuser detail

They have found a way to extend the floor transition rearward to create two strakes below the theoretical cut line. These taller inboard strakes then gradually extrude upwards and outwards as the diffuser’s ceiling expands outwards.

This “trick” will no doubt be evaluated by other teams, but it is unlikely that they would be able to copy the concept just yet. With a one day left of testing, and two weeks until the first race, it may be a while before we see any other team sporting the change

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Farlz said:

The Mercedes sandbags heavier than ever 

I'm hoping it's a little more than sandbagging. It's a very brave kind of sandbag that cuts your mileage in half and puts you tenth out of ten for testing.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I'm hoping it's a little more than sandbagging. It's a very brave kind of sandbag that cuts your mileage in half and puts you tenth out of ten for testing.

Add to that how hilariously unstable the back end looked at times and there is genuine hope that the new aero regulations have hurt Merc more than anyone else.

That said I still won't be overly surprised if they turn up in two weeks with a new rear end (or even a copy of McLaren's new diffuser/floor layout) and take 1-2 in qualifying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Add to that how hilariously unstable the back end looked at times and there is genuine hope that the new aero regulations have hurt Merc more than anyone else.

That said I still won't be overly surprised if they turn up in two weeks with a new rear end (or even a copy of McLaren's new diffuser/floor layout) and take 1-2 in qualifying.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't be surprised.  But it's completely logical that an aero change will affect the team who had it perfected the most.

6 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Top 3 and bottom 3 I agree with, difficult to know where the middle 4 really sit though based on what we've seen imo. 

Yeah I can't really see AlphaTauri sitting 4th, as much as I'd like it to be true. I do have high hopes for them this season and I think they'll surprise a few. Particularly Tsunoda. But I can't see them being above Alpine or Ferrari. I do think there's a chance they are above Aston Martin on 2 counts. Firstly, it is possible that Vettel is actually past it, in which case Aston have a shit driver line-up, and secondly with this being an actual Aston Martin rather than a green Merc, they may have regressed simply by virtue of not being as good at designing cars as Mercedes are.

I just want a genuine Verstappen title challenge. You can't really read too much into it right now but Red Bull having a solid testing while the Mercs have had a bit of a mess sounds too good to be true. 

Just gonna get through these 2 weeks thinking Mercedes will stroll up and be a second clear of everyone else come Bahrain. 

I don't really want a processional Mercedes title winning season.

I also don't want anything resembling success for Verstappen. I don't like his face, his voice, his mannerisms or his complexion.

So yeah, go Perez I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New season of Drive To Survive is up on Netflix. They've really turned up the dramatisation of some of the stuff to 11 this time but it's excellent popcorn material.

I haven't finished it yet but they've introduced Mazepin without mentioning what a little turd he is which was a tad disappointing.

I can't bring myself to watch any of it knowing the editing and false narratives that will be (and were) introduced, thereby artificially turning real into soap opera. Maybe I'll watch one episode of season one and see, rather than being presumptuous.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I can't bring myself to watch any of it knowing the editing and false narratives that will be (and were) introduced, thereby artificially turning real into soap opera. Maybe I'll watch one episode of season one and see, rather than being presumptuous.

Can’t see much wrong with it to be honest, it’s been one of my favorite Netflix shows of the last 2-3 years.

They definitely exaggerated some rivalries within the midfield in the first season seemingly in order to make maximum use of the footage that they had but overall it's largely centred around real talking points of the seasons. I thoroughly enjoy the extra footage and sound bites they manage to get of the team principals sniping at eachother. It's not shown chronologically which is a bit disconcerting and there is a lot of season highlights completely missed out but I would say it's worth a watch.

It's main benefit for me though has been recommending it to people in order to get them interested in the sport.

• Like 1

Do yourself a favour and read this incredibly powerful piece.

There is what you’ve heard, what you’ve read what you think you know.

Then there is truth.

Real, undeniable truth.

And I promise: In this story, I will tell you the truth.

There are a lot of things I’ve wanted to say for a long time. And we will get to them. But for you to know me, to really understand who I am, we have to talk about the day my life changed forever the day my old life ended, and a new one began.

August 31, 2019.

It was the Saturday of the Belgian Grand Prix. Quali day. Go-fast day. Fun day. Spa was my favorite circuit in the world to drive. It’s a beautiful track, it really is. Perfect, that’s how I would describe it. On race weekends my schedule is packed — each minute is accounted for, so Jenny, my p.r. assistant, makes sure I get to everything on time. That day, right after quali, I had an appearance with some fans, and then I had about five minutes to get back to the Toro Rosso garage for our team debrief.

“O.K., it looks like it was Hubert and Correa who were involved in the crash. We don’t know anything else right now.”

He was the boy in the orange helmet. He was the quickest kid in France. When I started karting in 2005, Anthoine Hubert was the guy. He was only eight (not quite a year younger than me), but he already had what every boy in karting wanted: speed. Every time I saw that orange helmet turn up at the track, I knew it was going to be a tough race. He won the national cup that year, but it wasn’t until a few years later, when I was 13, that I really got to know Anthoine.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

With Villa being that bit more shit than usual the F1 has come around at the perfect time. Can't wait for this weekend. 

Villa are about as shit a expected, it’s just that there was a period where they were good which raised all our hopes... before dashing them.

I’m looking forward to the first race very much