Formula One - 2021

BOF

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

I still think they've messed too much with the race format for the F2 weekend.  The Saturday is very unfair on the good qualifiers from Friday. Having two reverse grids is trying your damnedest to keep the quicker guys away from the front of the grid.  F2 doesn't need to artificially generate excitement to that extent. Have one reverse grid, fine.  But 2 is, I think, compromising the integrity of the championship just a bit too much because over the course of a season it's giving a lot of WDC points to guys who wouldn't otherwise be getting them.  And in a grid that's as tight and as stacked as this one, putting the pole sitter 10th and then reversing any progress he makes for Sprint 2 can genuinely affect a driver's ability to showcase his talents in a season that will affect his future prospects for F1. The 2 sprint races make up more points together than the feature race does this season, which means you have an artificial grid for more than 50% of the points on offer. That's veering towards lack of credibility - as exciting as it obviously is for people watching.  But we'll see how it all pans out. I know Tiff Needell has said as much on twitter too.

Yeah you could be right there. It's too early in my F2 experience to fully understand how that's really affected things. It was confusing at first though, I don't think Sky did a very good job of explaining it before the race either. I went into it thinking it was only a 10 car race because all they explained was the top 10 part of it. 

8 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

The new F2 regs have effectively devalued the F2 title. If they don't change then the likelihood of the best driver winning is pretty slim I think.

Yep. We're now left to hope that the best can still become champion, although we've no idea if the eventual champion will have been the fastest over the season or whether he benefitted from being 10th a bit too much.  I guess being clever with your qualifying is going to become much more important than it should be. As one of the drivers said, teams may just focus on one of the sprint races and almost take what comes in the other one, in an attempt to get a(ny) win.  Qualifying 2nd is now horrible. You don't get the 4WDC points for pole and you get your Saturday ruined for you.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

You were allowed go over the track limits in the race if you were in a Mercedes. But as soon as Red Bull told Max to start doing the same thing, it shone a spotlight on it which seemed to give the stewards a kick in the hole, whereby they decided you can't.  So great, Merc get the advantage for half a race and Red Bull get to join them for maybe 2 or 3 laps. In a race where Merc won by less than a second...

Even Coulthard knew during qualifying commentary that the drivers had been told the track limits would be different during the race. This is totally on Red Bull/Verstappen for not listening.

Even though it was a stupid thing to tell the drivers and ended up being totally confusing for everyone.

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Even Coulthard knew during qualifying commentary that the drivers had been told the track limits would be different during the race. This is totally on Red Bull/Verstappen for not listening.

In which case why was it changed when Red Bull told Max to do what Mercedes were doing? If they'd all been told it would be OK. This is where the stewards fall down I'm afraid. If it was OK then let them all do it. Red Bull telling Max to do something that i) everyone was told would be OK and which ii) Merc had been doing all along, should not result in the stewards deciding that actually now that one team has benefitted from doing something that they had been told would be OK for 20-odd laps, we now don't want everyone benefitting from it.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 01:33, BOF said:

In which case why was it changed when Red Bull told Max to do what Mercedes were doing? If they'd all been told it would be OK. This is where the stewards fall down I'm afraid. If it was OK then let them all do it. Red Bull telling Max to do something that i) everyone was told would be OK and which ii) Merc had been doing all along, should not result in the stewards deciding that actually now that one team has benefitted from doing something that they had been told would be OK for 20-odd laps, we now don't want everyone benefitting from it.

I never understood whey they were OK with ignoring track limits in the first place. Why not let drivers find their own way around the course then, so long as they complete 51% of it?

The track is there for a reason. It's only possible to ignore limits for safety reasons. Therefore, they should come down hard whenever drivers ignore it - intentional or otherwise. Even allowing 2 tyres off the side is too much imho - they'd never do that if there was a wall there.

Massive failure from the stewards.

Linkety clickings

Hamilton takes paycut ^^ I found the wage estimates to be more interesting though :) 

Team          Driver              Salary*        Debut
Mercedes      Lewis Hamilton     $30m (£21.9m)    2007
Mercedes      Valtteri Bottas    $10m (£7.3m)     2013
Red Bull      Max Verstappen     $25m (£18.25m)   2015
Red Bull      Sergio Perez        $8m (£5.84m)    2011
McLaren       Daniel Ricciardo   $15m (£10.95m)   2011
McLaren       Lando Norris        $5m (£3.65m)    2019
Aston Martin  Sebastian Vettel   $15m (£10.95m)   2007
Aston Martin  Lance Stroll       $10m (£7.3m)     2017
Alpine        Esteban Ocon        $5m (£3.65m)    2016
Alpine        Fernando Alonso    $20m (£14.6m)    2001
Ferrari       Carlos Sainz Jnr   $10m (£7.3m)     2015
Ferrari       Charles Leclerc    $12m (£8.76m)    2018
AlphaTauri    Yuki Tsunoda        $0.5m (£0.365m) 2021
AlphaTauri    Pierre Gasly        $5m (£3.65m)    2017
Alfa Romeo    Kimi Raikkonen     $10m (£7.3m)     2001
Alfa Romeo    Antonio Giovinazzi  $1m (£0.73m)    2017
Haas          Mick Schumacher     $1m (£0.73m)    2021
Haas          Nikita Mazepin      $1m (£0.73m)    2021
Williams      Nicholas Latifi     $1m (£0.73m)    2020
Williams      George Russell      $1m (£0.73m)    2019

A very cool story over across the water is 7-time NASCAR champion Jimmy Johnson making his debut this season in Indycar. He's not doing the ovals (Kanaan is) but he may do the Indy 500 over the next 2 years (most probably 2022). That would be a first. There have only been three 7 time NASCAR champions and none of the other 2 ever did the Indy 500.

Seemingly his day in Alonso's F1 car in 2018 lit a fire that he simply has to feed. It'll be interesting to watch how he does, but you'd think with so much to learn in his rookie year in single seaters in a massively competitive series, he probably won't be quite up at the cutting edge to start with at least.

On 08/04/2021 at 16:22, BOF said:

Linkety clickings

Hamilton takes paycut ^^ I found the wage estimates to be more interesting though :) 

I'm surprised at quite a few of those estimates, not sure how accurate they are. 90% of them seem to be rounded to the nearest 5m (or 0.5m in half the field's case).

Obviously Mazepin's wages need a * next to them as they are going to be paid to himself or by his dad technically. As do Stroll's really. And Latifi.

If they're accurate then Ricciardo has taken a massive % pay cut as well.

On 08/04/2021 at 16:22, BOF said:

Linkety clickings

The two standouts for me are Alonso still commanding those kinds of wages. I know he's an excellent driver but is that really worth it for Alpine?

And how close Max is to Lewis. Obviously he's probably the most promising driver on the grid and a future world champ, but I'm still slightly surprised to see him earning that much already

59 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Aaaarrggghhhh

Once it's enforced consistently and thoroughly I have no problem with it. Every track has its own limitations. It was the ridiculous selective implementation at Bahrain which was infuriating and unfair.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Lively first practice.

Every member of the teams who will have to repair the cars must feel like the exasperated Doc Rivers gif when their driver manages to collide with another car in FP1.

You just have to **** leave a da space, as a wise man once said.

Enjoyed that again. Actually thought Norris was going to be on pole with how he was going, shame about the track limits deleting his lap. 

Big moment for Perez that as well to outqualify Max, very pleased for him. Bottas nowhere to be seen and both Red Bulls behind Lewis, tomorrow should be fun. 

• Like 1