Formula One - 2021

BOF

For those of you who; for some baffling reason; still haven't embraced the genuine excitement of F2 and F3 racing, I implore you give it a shot this season.

The F2 season starts this weekend alongside the F1 and it's the strongest field since the one that contained Norris, Russell & Albon*.

Prema has my tip for the title and next F1 star, Robert Shwartzman alongside reigning Formula 3 champion$ and next front-running antipodean Oscar Piastri, so they'll be a serious contender from the start.

UNI-Virtuosi has China's great hope, in what is a huge season for him because he needs to start delivering the goods now. Guanyo Zhou, alongside the impressive Brazilian race winner Felipe Drugovich.

Carlin has the ever gobby, always entertaining and controversial but always interesting (and very fast) British driver Dan Ticktum (aka Dick Tantrum) alongside the very impressive dark horse and Indian hopeful Jehan Daruvala.

Hitech has the very highly rated coming up from F3 New Zealander Liam Lawson alongside the Estonian hotshot Juri Vips. A very strong lineup.

And after all of that, ART could even be the pick of the bunch. Potential champion Danish Christian Lundgaard alongside the ridiculously young (17) and future absolute superstar Frenchman Théo Pourchaire.

That's the big 5 done.

Of the rest there's Marcus Armstrong in the DAMS who should have a better season than last season. I expected him to be a contender straight from the off last season and yet he was nowhere.

The 2 Germans, Lirim Zendeli at MP & David Beckmann at Charouz moving up from F3 could both do well if they settle in quickly.

Of the rest I suspect only the Tridents will feature, with Bent Viscaal a potentially decent Dutch pilot alongside Marino Sato.

* yes I know that's only 3 years ago :P 

$ won title as a rookie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The F2 sprint race 1 is 10:15 Saturday morning, sprint race 2 is 16:40 Saturday afternoon and the feature race is 11:50 Sunday so the early ones are nice leasurely breakfast times.

Edited : Forgot the second sprint race :D  (new format)

• Like 1

Having read the above two (very good) posts, I have felt compelled to ask the following question:

Does anybody else find the behind-the-scenes OTT soap-opera-ness of F1 and its politics as enjoyable (if not more so) than the actual racing?

Because I do. I mean, I know that isn't the point and it demonstrates all the issues with the sport, but still... it's something I love about it and find it hugely entertaining, if not outright hilarious at times.

At least, that's how I feel anyway. Anybody agree?

15 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Having read the above two (very good) posts, I have felt compelled to ask the following question:

Does anybody else find the behind-the-scenes OTT soap-opera-ness of F1 and its politics as enjoyable (if not more so) than the actual racing?

Because I do. I mean, I know that isn't the point and it demonstrates all the issues with the sport, but still... it's something I love about it and find it hugely entertaining, if not outright hilarious at times.

At least, that's how I feel anyway. Anybody agree?

Interesting you say that. I've been selling the drama and skulduggery to non fans with the DtS series as I mentioned on the last page, with the view to them eventually getting into the actual racing. Never thought about the fact that that side of it might actually be the main attraction for some people.

Fwiw I love the off track competition and tactics in F1, but not as much as the on track stuff.

14 hours ago, Farlz said:

Ticktum will have a strong year and then replace Russell at Williams in 2022

I really hope he has a strong year. He needs to stop making excuses and being his own worst enemy on the track. He's 21 now and has a strong teammate. He has already been dropped by Red Bull in his career so I think he's at last chance saloon for F1. Having said that, I also think he's probably a bit too gobby and controversial for most F1 teams' tastes (in the absence of a billionaire parent I mean). Hopefully he's done some growing up and he'll realise this is probably his last realistic chance of breaking through and he'll be a model pro. I do hope he keeps up his co-co-commentary role though :P 

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I really hope he has a strong year. He needs to stop making excuses and being his own worst enemy on the track. He's 21 now and has a strong teammate. He has already been dropped by Red Bull in his career so I think he's at last chance saloon for F1. Having said that, I also think he's probably a bit too gobby and controversial for most F1 teams' tastes (in the absence of a billionaire parent I mean). Hopefully he's done some growing up and he'll realise this is probably his last realistic chance of breaking through and he'll be a model pro. I do hope he keeps up his co-co-commentary role though :P 

All the attribute boxes needed to do well, he’s ticktum...

where’s my coat?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What happened to Williams. When I was a kid they were huge and these last few years they're one of the worst. Is it just lack of funds?

It's been a long time gradual erosion from lack of funds, lack of innovation, no direction or leadership, Claire Williams being too proud to sell and general disorganisation to an alarming degree.

I think it started when Martini left as their title sponsor. If a team can't compete financially they need to be clever and take as many shortcuts as possible. Haas bought parts off Ferrari, RP bought a whole car design off Merc all while Williams did nothing and got overtaken. They managed to miss several days of testing a few years back. Absolute shambles.

• Thanks 1

It's not just lack of funds. Williams are the last true privateer in a category that has increasingly needed works support to be competitive. Even McLaren who were a privateer for decades sided heavily with Mercedes and became a car manufacturer in their own right. The new owners of Williams, Dorilton Capital, look like taking a more pragmatic approach to team ownership by aligning themselves more closely to Merc with spec parts, although there are various rumours that Williams might affiliate elsewhere going forward.

Either way,  the net result of all the rumours seems to suggest we'll  be losing the privateer Williams to one that's possibly more competitive but also hindered by a works ceiling of some sort. So we'll lose a lot more than we gain IMHO.

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna try and jump on the F2 love this season. F1 isn't really doing it for me in recent years. I still follow it but I just don't find the excitement in it I used to. Hopefully F2 fills the gap

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm gonna try and jump on the F2 love this season. F1 isn't really doing it for me in recent years. I still follow it but I just don't find the excitement in it I used to. Hopefully F2 fills the gap

Excellent.

one of us GIF

Here's The Race doing a who to watch out for which is similar to what I put above actually :)

Thankfully the quality of the racing speaks for itself so you don't have to manufacture an interest to follow it, but the added fun is also in spotting who the good ones are, and just familiarising yourself with what you're about to see in F1 the year after. Plus it extends your race weekend so what's not to love :D  

Snippet for the purpose of guidelines ...

Formula 2’s recent record for launching drivers onto the Formula 1 grid is strong, with Charles Leclerc, George Russell, Lando Norris, Pierre Gasly, Antonio Giovinazzi, Nicholas Latifi and now Mick Schumacher, Yuki Tsunoda and Nikita Mazepin reaching the top level either straight from F2 success or via a mild detour.

While Schumacher was always likely to reach F1 rapidly, very few people can claim to have predicted that Tsunoda would turn a rookie campaign in Formula 2 into an immediate AlphaTauri F1 seat – and that alone shows how volatile the path to F1 is.

F2’s 2021 season begins this weekend too, so which of the drivers on its grid will be lining up in F1 cars in the future?

We took a look at the prospects:

• Like 1

Casually follow F1 in the past but with the Netflix series, feel like I can be more invested in the battles lower down the grid. Really excited for Sunday and plan on being much more immersed into F1 this year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

I read that yesterday. I'll admit. I choked up a little, if not a little then a lot.

His account of that Saturday at Spa, sitting in the debrief, shaking, not knowing and not being able to concentrate, and then seeing his family afterwards and knowing from how they were behaving, before he'd even spoken to them, and then after all of that, having to go and race the day afterwards :( I know 'it's what racers do' 'n all but I really don't know how he managed to race effectively on the Sunday. That must have been incredibly tough.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Casually follow F1 in the past but with the Netflix series, feel like I can be more invested in the battles lower down the grid. Really excited for Sunday and plan on being much more immersed into F1 this year. 

I usually start that way, but Mercedes disappear out at front, turn the engines down and cruise home leaves me bored. 

I should try and get invested into the other battles really.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

His account of that Saturday at Spa, sitting in the debrief, shaking, not knowing and not being able to concentrate, and then seeing his family afterwards and knowing from how they were behaving, before he'd even spoken to them, and then after all of that, having to go and race the day afterwards :( I know 'it's what racers do' 'n all but I really don't know how he managed to race effectively on the Sunday. That must have been incredibly tough.

He flicked down his visor. Simples. I stopped reading for about 30 seconds and just sat there in disbelief after that bit. 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I usually start that way, but Mercedes disappear out at front, turn the engines down and cruise home leaves me bored. 

I should try and get invested into the other battles really.

I've been the same. However I'm hoping the Netflix series will help. Putting a human quality to those teams I've never really cared about, should add a bit more interest. It's how I really got into NFL. Watching hard knocks and other behind the scenes stuff helps create that link to actually caring.