Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

Ryan.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

No, I completely agree with that.  Having the catastrophic Derby administration as a "consideration", though, is massively unplaying how **** that club were.

Their squad was semi-OK for the first half season Rooney was there, but then it got absolutely decimated.  You'd be absolutely insane thinking their 21/22 squad was "decent enough" - it was poor.  They lost over half their senior squad, basically.

That’s fine, I have the sense that Derby’s woes are literally a bit closer to home for you so you may have more of an appreciation for what he did there.

I suppose I’m left wondering, if Rooney did a relatively good job - keeping them up first season, winning enough points in the second season which would normally guarantee safety - why he ended up managing in the US. 

Ok, he had a previous connection to DC, maybe the money was better too, I don’t know. Were there any serious links with him moving to another club in England? Because I would think that if the perception is he did a fair job under terrible circumstances, the offers over here would be lining up for him, post Derby.

Rooney might turn out to be a good manager but there's not all that much proof of it so far. Averaging just over 1 point per game at both Derby and DC United isn't exactly setting the world alight IMO. It's certainly not worth gambling and replacing your manager that currently has you in the playoff places.

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That’s fine, I have the sense that Derby’s woes are literally a bit closer to home for you so you may have more of an appreciation for what he did there.

I suppose I’m left wondering, if Rooney did a relatively good job - keeping them up first season, winning enough points in the second season which would normally guarantee safety - why he ended up managing in the US. 

Ok, he had a previous connection to DC, maybe the money was better too, I don’t know. Were there any serious links with him moving to another club in England? Because I would think that if the perception is he did a fair job under terrible circumstances, the offers over here would be lining up for him, post Derby.

DCU had the job already available, management was desperate for a fig leaf to cover up their previous mistakes, there was no sense of long-term obligation, he was pretty much given carte blanche to bring in any player he could convince to come here, and we paid him a million bucks.  It still didn't make much sense to DC fans, either.  Why come over here again when your wife was insistent you couldn't stay in the States the first time around?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I must be insane then 😆 don't get me wrong it was quite thin but they still had some decent enough championship players plus some highly rated youngsters.

They didn't like. That last season they were signing in veteran going for peanuts. He had to build an entire team from nothing 

54 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Had a look at Rooney’s record at Derby.

81 leagues games amassing 93 points

24 wins, 21 draws, 36 defeats

That’s 1.148 PPG.

Drilling down a bit further, 32 of those points were from his first 21 games.

So from the remaining 60 games, Derby secured 61 points. Frustratingly close to exactly 1 PPG average there.

That screams to me “let’s make 19th place our own”. But I sense that’s not what they’re aiming for.

I know Derby had/have their problems, so that’s a consideration. But still, I’m not quite seeing it. Other than he’s a name and it’s small heath going mental again.

Which I suppose is all it really is. 

I have not followed Rooney's managerial career, but always had in mind that he did a decent job at Derby under testing circumstances. Now he has been heavily linked with sha, I thought I would have a look and see what he has done at DC United to see if he was a gem in the making. So I checked Transfermarkt Wayne Rooney Managerial Statistics. to see if he was doing well in his current role at DC United.

From his 137 matches including Derby and DC United he has a total win percentage of 28.5% and a PPG average of 1.1 which like you say is hardly amazing. Maybe there is something we are not seeing.

15 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I have not followed Rooney's managerial career, but always had in mind that he did a decent job at Derby under testing circumstances. Now he has been heavily linked with sha, I thought I would have a look and see what he has done at DC United to see if he was a gem in the making. So I checked Transfermarkt Wayne Rooney Managerial Statistics. to see if he was doing well in his current role at DC United.

From his 137 matches including Derby and DC United he has a total win percentage of 28.5% and a PPG average of 1.1 which like you say is hardly amazing. Maybe there is something we are not seeing.

I don't think anyone is claiming he's a brilliant manager, his time at DC United was maybe not what they hoped for, and it's certainly looking like a really stupid decision for small heath. But he was on a hiding to nothing at Derby, and did a respectable job.

Not only did they have the confidence shattering effect of having 21 points deducted and starting the season many points from safety, I'm sure at one point they had something like 7 players on the books. They had to let over 20 players go in 2 days because they had no money. So they signed a whole squad of freebies, then half of them left before the end of the season.

Edited by Davkaus

13 minutes ago, NeilS said:

He took DC United from dead last and moved up 8 positions in the table

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Us vilers will really be running scared, now. I mean, we thought that Unai Emery was a super-intelligent football mastermind, but now they've got... Wayne Rooney. We may as well give up, and hand them the Premier League trophy now. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Didn't realise they were that bad when he went there. He sure can pick a job!

I wouldn't have put money on the squad he inherited to stay up in League Two.  DC had a couple of semi-competent defenders, one competent defensive midfielder, a repeatedly crocked winger, a repeatedly crocked (and bigoted) forward, and a few extremely green kids.  Everything else was wasted space.  The goalies were godawful.  In a league with no relegation, there was kind of a no-way-to-go-but-up character to the situation, but nonetheless he did restore basic effectiveness in short order.

36 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think anyone is claiming he's a brilliant manager, his time at DC United was maybe not what they hoped for, and it's certainly looking like a really stupid decision for small heath. But he was on a hiding to nothing at Derby, and did a respectable job.

Not only did they have the confidence shattering effect of having 21 points deducted and starting the season many points from safety, I'm sure at one point they had something like 7 players on the books. They had to let over 20 players go in 2 days because they had no money. So they signed a whole squad of freebies, then half of them left before the end of the season.

Agreed, he was in a terrible position at Derby so won't judge him based on what he did there. He did a pretty good job under the circumstances of the club capitulating.

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He took DC United from dead last and moved up 8 positions in the table

Ok, that is fair enough. I had no idea about DC United and that they were terrible before he joined them. It still remains to be seen how he does when there is a bit more expectation around, and he isn't putting out fires.

Â