Weekends Football 11/13 December

andykeenan

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it is comfortably the worst ever start to a PL season. Even that Derby side got 6 from the first 12.

The worst, as far as I can find, is Palace in 2017/18. They lost their first 6 games and only picked up 5 points in the first 12.

We had about 5 points in about 13 in our relegation season

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

We had about 5 points in about 13 in our relegation season

YEah we went on an absolutely dreadful run, but won the first game against Bournemouth to get some early points on the board. It took another 20 games to find a second win.

says a lot for the clubs direction, that since i have supported Villa (25+ years?), i can name multiple youth players for the first time ever, and actually have an idea of who they are and enjoy following their development, ie: Revan, Chuka, Ramsey(s), Kesler, Barry, Bogarde, Chrisine, Swinkels, Bidace etc.

even if only 2 or 3 of these players make it through to the first team, it will be huge for the club.

• Like 1

Sheffield United are only the fourth side at all levels of the English Football League to have no more than one point from their opening 12 league games to a season, after Manchester United in 1930-31 (0 in the top-flight), New Brighton in 1931-32 (1 in the Third Division North) and Newport County in 1970-71 (1 in the fourth tier).

Link

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

How are Sheffield United this bad? I know they overachieved last season but 1 point from their first 11/12 games is almost hard to comprehend.

Yeah, I've been thinking that. 

The decline has been absolutely shocking. They musnt know what's hit them. 

It shows what a role confidence plays.  When you are on a roll things just happen for you and the wins come easy.  When you are in a rut nothing seems to go right and you can't buy a win.

Edited by sidcow

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

YEah we went on an absolutely dreadful run, but won the first game against Bournemouth to get some early points on the board. It took another 20 games to find a second win.

I think we are not too dissimilar to that Sheffield United team, we lost a few narrow games early in the season because we couldnt score or create.

Just looking at the horrow now we had 5 points after 12 games and a pathetic 7 at Christmas which was game 17

Might partly be because it's a derby and a bunch other reasons but feels like even having this limited number of fans in the stands is helping with the intensity of the game between Palace and Spurs.

Our game yesterday was like a pre-season game as have most games with no fans in the stands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Is Spurs gonna keep grinding out results for the rest of the season?

Not sure how sustainable that is for a whole season.

Its what Jose does

But they're over reliant on kane and son, need that guy from benfica to start doing a bit in the EL

Liverpool away in the week 

Just now, Davkaus said:

Good equaliser for Palace.

As nice as it was to see, all of those fans grouping together to celebrate with the players is probably why we shouldn't have people back yet, tbh.

I think fans in the stands massively helps with the quality and intensity of the games and is great to see and hear. But I also think they should not be allowed back as it simply isn't safe.

1 minute ago, sne said:

I think fans in the stands massively helps with the quality and intensity of the games and is great to see and hear. But I also think they should not be allowed back as it simply isn't safe.

If you watch the goal/celebration, there are a few people not even wearing masks who come running along the seats to cheer in the players' faces. It's absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2

Can see Liverpool being about 10 points clear by end of January. Spurs lose at Anfield and they'll be likely 5 points behind Liverpool and this is supposed to be team with best ever chance of winning the league. Not just setting up shop at 1 up at half time in tricky away games.

• Like 1

Â