Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

The bottom 4 have a negative goal difference of at least -10 each. Burnley have only scored 5, and so far, Sheffield United only scored 4. We have a positive goal difference of 7 still. That is also very big. These sides won't be going on some great run any time soon.

None of that reply has anything to do with what I actually said, didn't say anything about us 'just surviving', or having had a 'bad start'.

I can't believe anyone can disagree that us being nine points clear of the bottom three after this weekend is better than us being six points clear of the bottom three, of course it's better for us that the results have gone as they have than if the bottom four clubs had have won, it means we're further away from the bottom three ourselves and means less pressure going into the Wolves game.

You're allowed to think we've had an okay start, but at the same time show concern for our recent form and not want the bottom clubs gaining on us.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Another consolidation of mid-table, and next season we can spend far more on wages and transfers.

Would Barkley consider joining us full time if we finished 13th or 14th, not sure on that unless we just wrap it up in January. However think 8th or 9th and just a few points off europa qualification would be enough to convince this group to give it another go particularly with another 2-3 good transfer moves over next two windows.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

None of that reply has anything to do with what I actually said, didn't say anything about us 'just surviving', or having had a 'bad start'.

I can't believe anyone can disagree that us being nine points clear of the bottom three after this weekend is better than us being six points clear of the bottom three, of course it's better for us that the results have gone as they have than if the bottom four clubs had have won, it means we're further away from the bottom three ourselves and means less pressure going into the Wolves game.

You're allowed to think we've had an okay start, but at the same time show concern for our recent form and not want the bottom clubs gaining on us.

That's fair enough but would you still want West Brom to lose v likes of Palace and Newcastle if we're 15 points clear of them on say Boxing Day?

I'd say anything above 10 points gap and we shouldn't worry at all about 18th and should want them to start taking more points off teams around us in the table. Even getting 4 points off Burnley and West Brom should mean that happens going into xmas period.

Well there's more concern at the moment because we've just lost four out of five and we don't know if that trend is going to continue or not, if we can start winning games again ourselves then of course we can then worry less about how the bottom clubs are doing.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's fair enough but would you still want West Brom to lose v likes of Palace and Newcastle if we're 15 points clear of them on say Boxing Day?

I'd say anything above 10 points gap and we shouldn't worry at all about 18th and should want them to start taking more points off teams around us in the table. Even getting 4 points off Burnley and West Brom should mean that happens going into xmas period.

True. I think we're all still jaded from the last decade, though. I won't want to start seeing potential "relegation rivals" picking up points until it's basically certain that we won't get dragged into it.

I don't think for a moment that we'll even be in the conversation when it comes to relegation, we're performing well all things considered and look absolutely like we belong in this league. But it's been so bad for so long that it's always there at the back if my mind. I bet it's the same for most of us here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Well there's more concern at the moment because we've just lost four out of five and we don't know if that trend is going to continue or not, if we can start winning games again ourselves then of course we can then worry less about how the bottom clubs are doing.

All it takes is to match Burnley next weekend and then beat them at VP and we'll be 12 points clear of them. They've got Arsenal away so hopefully we could be extra point up on them from next weekend aswell.

And match West Brom's next two results (one of those is Man. City away) and beat them and it's again 12 point gap.

In DS interests aswell given we're on a losing run and have a very tough 6 week period from Boxing day up to start of February so he'll start to come under significant pressure again I think if we can't get any wins in our next 3 games.

Edited by VillaChris

12 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

True. I think we're all still jaded from the last decade, though. I won't want to start seeing potential "relegation rivals" picking up points until it's basically certain that we won't get dragged into it.

I don't think for a moment that we'll even be in the conversation when it comes to relegation, we're performing well all things considered and look absolutely like we belong in this league. But it's been so bad for so long that it's always there at the back if my mind. I bet it's the same for most of us here.

Again I get that. At times you thought last season we could push on and have comfortable mid table finish like say Southampton eventually did (around the time we beat Watford last minute in mid January) but it didn't happen and we went on a horrendous run instead to be all but relegated before the final four miracle.

We should be better than that now though. Given how we've generally started and some of the players we have in the team now. It wouldn't say much if in the final 8 games we're still scrambling around looking at what bottom 4 are doing when Jack has been in god form so far this season and likes of Barkley are also around. Owners would be hugely disappointed with that if indeed DS would still be our manager at that point.

I think it will take less than 35 points to stay up aswell so you have to factor that in so we'd need a far worse run than anything we had last season to be seriously in danger given it could be just another 18 points needed to stay up.

• Like 1

Just checking we all o.k with Sheffield united getting something off Leicester today?:lol:

Rode their luck a bit end of that so could be a long second half but Leicester dropping points again against moderate opposition would be good as keeps us in touch with them.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Just checking we all o.k with Sheffield united getting something off Leicester today?:lol:

Rode their luck a bit end of that so could be a long second half but Leicester dropping points again against moderate opposition would be good as keeps us in touch with them.

I've just looked at the table. I almost forgot just how awful their start to the season has been. Jesus Christ.

I don't think we have to worry about them at all this season, so they can do whatever they like as far as I'm concerned.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, useless said:

You said just surviving wasn't good enough. Not sure anyone has said otherwise. 

No one disagrees. Its just such a pointless thing to say. 

Most of the comments have been about how we've got nothing to worry about as we're so many points away from the bottom three, as if our only aim is to avoid relegation.

And pointing out that it's been a good weekend for us because after the games we're still nine points clear of the bottom three rather six, isn't a pointless thing to say at all, it's actually pointing out a positive and is very relevant to the subject of this thread.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Most of the comments have been about how we've got nothing to worry about as we're so many points away from the bottom three, as if our only aim is to avoid relegation.

And pointing out that it's been a good weekend for us because after the games we're still nine points clear of the bottom three rather six, isn't a pointless thing to say at all, it's actually pointing out a positive and is very relevant to the subject of this thread.

1) what sort of comments did you expect in a relegation thread? Pointing out how many points away we are has nothing to do with just being happy surviving. Its pointing out the progress we've made. 

2) So now you're being positive? You were saying people were showing arrogance for believing there was no relegation worry this season earlier. 

So to sum up, the bottom teams could have caught up with us, but they didn't. Great. 

No I didn't say that people were being arrogant for believing that there's no relegation to worry about, so again you're putting words into my mouth.

And you can try and be sarcastic all you like with that last sentence, but pointing out that it's been a good weekend for us because we're still nine points clear of the bottom three rather six really really isn't pointless at all, especially as a lot of people had expressed concern that the gap between us and the bottom three would shorten after our game with Newcastle had been called off, I'm pointing out that that fear didn't come to pass.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

No I didn't say that people were being arrogant for believing that there's no relegation to worry about, so again you're putting words into my mouth.

And you can try and be sarcastic all you like with that last sentence, but pointing out that it's been a good weekend for us because we're still nine points clear of the bottom three rather six really really isn't pointless at all, especially as a lot of people had expressed concern that the gap between us and the bottom three would shorten after our game with Newcastle had been called off, I'm pointing out that that fear didn't come to pass.

Then I guess we are on the same page. There isn't anything to worry about right now. 

As I illuminatingly oracled yesterday, it's less about worrying about actual relegation at the moment, and more about being concerned that we don't fall into a position where we start worrying that if we lose a few more games we could find ourselves in a position where we're too close to the bottom three for comfort.

We just need to win a few more games again to get our confidence back.