Weekend Football 18/20 September

andykeenan

I've just read the IFAB document about all changes this year and can't find anything changing handball for defenders. Only what constitutes the arm, and tweaking the bit about accidentally handballing while attacking. Cam anyone enlighten me as to what these new rules are supposed to be?

Edited by blunther
  • Like 1

They just need to go back to the original deliberate hand ball rule. 

The irony is now they have VAR with the endless slow mo replays from every angle it will be easy to see where a hand has deliberately moved towards a ball, even if only by a few mm.  They would have the ability to get it right 99 times out of 100. 

So sick of hand balls being given when the player couldn't really do anything about it. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Hopefully Watkins can be our Antonio type upfront, we badly need a player upfront who can constantly press and unsettle the opposition. And finish off the odd chance or two.

West Ham played o.k so far. Silly to write them off this early into the season when Newcastle lost 3-1 to Norwich in 2nd game last year and looked awful.

2 hours ago, blunther said:

I've just read the IFAB document about all changes this year and can't find anything changing handball for defenders. Only what constitutes the arm, and tweaking the bit about accidentally handballing while attacking. Cam anyone enlighten me as to what these new rules are supposed to be?

The change was prior to last season.  It’s basically not handball if it’s ball to hand EXCEPT 1) if the arm/hand are in a position that makes the outline of the body bigger (I.e., away from your side) and/or above the shoulder and 2) a goal cannot be scored off the arm or after a ball came off an arm in the direct buildup under any circumstances, even if accidental with arm at the side.

There’s also an exception for if it hits your arm after coming off another part of your body or of another player immediately next to you.

Lindelof’s arm was extended.   Ayew was close, but not close enough that the last exception applies.  If he’d been closer and/or drilled it straight at Lindelof’s arm in a natural running position it would not have been a pen.  But Lindelof’s arm wasn’t there as part of natural running motion and Ayew didn’t hit it hard, he shoveled it up.  It hit Lindelof’s arm when both ball and arm were on their way up, in my view.   According to the rules, handball.

I took a refereeing refresher course last fall and they said the new clarifications to handball were being picked as a point of emphasis to referees, players and coaches at all levels.  Pundits are generally going to form opinions based on how things were enforced when they were playing, hence the announcers all criticizing the decision against Man U.   Either way, I love seeing a controversial pen decision going against them for a change.   The only downside is Palace have 6 points already, and I see them as a team we could perhaps finish above this season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Hopefully Watkins can be our Antonio type upfront, we badly need a player upfront who can constantly press and unsettle the opposition. And finish off the odd chance or two.

West Ham played o.k so far. Silly to write them off this early into the season when Newcastle lost 3-1 to Norwich in 2nd game last year and looked awful.

For £30M+ I’m hoping he’ll be more than an Antonio

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

For £30M+ I’m hoping he’ll be more than an Antonio

I think Antonio is a very decent player, hustle and bustle and chips win with decent number of goals throughout a season but usually gets a bad injury which disrupts his momentum. Still a level about Trez.

Since Feb 29th he's scored 10 goals in 13 league games so no pressure Ollie!

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

The change was prior to last season.  It’s basically not handball if it’s ball to hand EXCEPT 1) if the arm/hand are in a position that makes the outline of the body bigger (I.e., away from your side) and/or above the shoulder and 2) a goal cannot be scored off the arm or after a ball came off an arm in the direct buildup under any circumstances, even if accidental with arm at the side.

There’s also an exception for if it hits your arm after coming off another part of your body or of another player immediately next to you.

Lindelof’s arm was extended.   Ayew was close, but not close enough that the last exception applies.  If he’d been closer and/or drilled it straight at Lindelof’s arm in a natural running position it would not have been a pen.  But Lindelof’s arm wasn’t there as part of natural running motion and Ayew didn’t hit it hard, he shoveled it up.  It hit Lindelof’s arm when both ball and arm were on their way up, in my view.   According to the rules, handball.

I took a refereeing refresher course last fall and they said the new clarifications to handball were being picked as a point of emphasis to referees, players and coaches at all levels.  Pundits are generally going to form opinions based on how things were enforced when they were playing, hence the announcers all criticizing the decision against Man U.   Either way, I love seeing a controversial pen decision going against them for a change.   The only downside is Palace have 6 points already, and I see them as a team we could perhaps finish above this season.

Thanks mate. I was (loosely) aware of last year's rules, but the way all the pundits were talking was as if something had changed this year too.

I think it's a bit of a daft penalty in that if refs are consistent there'll be dozens of cheap penalties this year but yeah, it was refreshing to see one go the other way at Old Trafford!

Â