Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was watching a Grealish compilation (I know) the other day and I saw clips from that game and it made me sad. We were absolutely flying then. A real identity to the team, didn't know when we were beaten. Down to 10 men and we just demolished Palace. Ollie should have had 4 or 5. Grealish was just on fire. That Christmas period 2020 was the best football I've ever seen us play. How quickly things changed.

Traore in great form at the time too as Captain Jack noted before his goal:

That strike by AEG was phenomenal. Absolutely perfectly struck.

Jack's reaction after Watkins' "control" shortly before was also perfect.

Traorè, what a shame we've seemingly got a clown for manager.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

I don't know how you can have anything but fond memories of him. Started on the right in one of the most impressive attacking displays we have had in the Prem for ages. With 10 men we beat Palace 3-0 and posted an xG of 3.5. That's crazy especially when you look at us now struggling to crack 1.0 xG. 

SmartSelect_20220912_165141_Chrome.jpg

Remember watching this game with my old man on boxing day and we couldn't believe what we were seeing. We were outstanding, really thought we'd begun establishing ourselves as a mid-upper PL team again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Remember watching this game with my old man on boxing day and we couldn't believe what we were seeing. We were outstanding, really thought we'd begun establishing ourselves as a mid-upper PL team again

We were on some run, with Bertie at the heart of it. Our next 2 games after that were his old club Chelsea where we got a spirited draw and United where he scored but ultimately lost (pretty sure there was some VAR nonsense in that game too). He was great. I think he could still have done a job for us if we still played with wide players.

• Like 2

It's almost like he isn't shit......

I have said it before on other threads, no matter how good you think Traore is or isn't he was EASILY good enough to be FORTH choice at Aston Villa!

I hope there isn't an option to buy with a low fee in his loan agreement, I also hope he can be recalled when we bin off slippy G

• Like 1

I think people might be missing that, he may have wanted to go himself, for regular football as first choice.

I concur with others that he is more than good enough for the squad and a wildcard, but I feel he leans towards the side of a " luxury player " for most battles in the Prem.

So he's in that awkward position where he is too good for the bench, but also not the right player for 90 mins week in week out in a slog in the PL.

Bare in mind he also had injuries for periods, he wasn't simply " frozen out " IMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bare in mind he also had injuries for periods, he wasn't simply " frozen out " IMO.

He had injuries towards the start of Gerrard's spell, but once fit, Gerrard gave him one start before he brought Coutinho in, and he then got 63 minutes of football over the next 4 months when he was fit to play.

I can't blame him for wanting out, if that is what happened, when he was so rarely even getting a go from the bench, he was never going to get a real chance

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think people might be missing that, he may have wanted to go himself, for regular football as first choice.

I concur with others that he is more than good enough for the squad and a wildcard, but I feel he leans towards the side of a " luxury player " for most battles in the Prem.

So he's in that awkward position where he is too good for the bench, but also not the right player for 90 mins week in week out in a slog in the PL.

Your reference to Bertie being a luxury player is the reason I always felt that we played him in the wrong place. For me, he should have played behind Watkins (the striker) and have that free creative role as the man could pass, shoot and do the ridiculous. But, he wasn't great at tracking back and doing the hard yards and that's why I felt he couldn't cut it as a wide forward in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

He is definitely a luxury player, just like Coutinho. You can't play 2 players like that at the same time. Puts far too much stress on the other field players to track runners and press.

Steven chose Coutinho, the issue is that Coutinho isn't producing. That choice has severly affected our ability to create goal scoring chances. With hindsight, you keep Bertie and Buendia as your creative fulcrums and spend the Coutinho money on another 8 to help support the midfield. Steven probably realizes that now but a little to late to do much about it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MrBlack said:

That strike by AEG was phenomenal. Absolutely perfectly struck.

Jack's reaction after Watkins' "control" shortly before was also perfect.

Traorè, what a shame we've seemingly got a clown for manager.

Totally agree - we all know Bertie’s weakness, but we also know what a mercurial genius he is too - why would you not want this in your locker ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But equally JV he wasn’t afforded minutes when he was fit to prove his worth 

4 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Your reference to Bertie being a luxury player is the reason I always felt that we played him in the wrong place. For me, he should have played behind Watkins (the striker) and have that free creative role as the man could pass, shoot and do the ridiculous. But, he wasn't great at tracking back and doing the hard yards and that's why I felt he couldn't cut it as a wide forward in the Premier League. 

This I agree with.

Actually thought.about that when watching the clips.

He could be very useful as a 10 or SS.

Also lesson the possibility of one of those famous first time cross our own defense/goal suicide passes. Lol

• Like 1

Yeah, while Bailey could play LW or RW (FWIW I much prefer him on the right), I couldn't see Traore playing LW. Despite what many think he's not actually got much pace.

His skill and intelligence in abundance (and good finishing and incisive passing) could indeed make him a good SS.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah, while Bailey could play LW or RW (FWIW I much prefer him on the right), I couldn't see Traore playing LW. Despite what many think he's not actually got much pace.

His skill and intelligence in abundance (and good finishing and incisive passing) could indeed make him a good SS.

I'd prefer him roaming behind and supporting attacks as a " 10 " than on the left.

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd prefer him roaming behind and supporting attacks as a " 10 " than on the left.

I think I read one of the reasons why he moved was because he wanted to play as striker, when he joined us I remember an interview in French media where he said he came to his best playing centrally.

For Burkina Faso he played on the right hand side though if I remember correctly, and always thought it looked like he liked playing wide forward when he played for us.

• Like 1

Â