Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Most professional sports are psychological warfare. Sledging in cricket has gone on for years. Pundits are quite happy to describe “winning” a foul. The England captain is well known for his ability to gain penalties. Although perhaps he needs to practice taking them a bit more.

Penalty shootouts are by their very nature an uneven contest. In normal play they’re given to compensate for cheating in the first place, or at least that was the intended reason before the new skill of “winning a foul” was added to a player’s skill set. So to at least even up the contest with some psychology is legitimate within the context of the game. Most clubs employ sports psychologists, Emi is a perfect example of why. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

You are right. The refs should take more control. For example, they should be the ones holding the ball and giving it to the taker.

Any messing around from the keeper, book them, they won't continue doing it then will they.

I think they will be from now on.

Not to put a damper on things but I can't escape the feeling that Emi's  antics don't reflect particularly well on AVFC.

I understand he's a bit eccentric and whatnot and I enjoy his goofiness..to a point. The thing with the glove  and when he does that after a big save is getting old fast. It was funny the first time. But now it makes him look like an idiot.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Not to put a damper on things but I can't escape the feeling that Emi's  antics don't reflect particularly well on AVFC.

I understand he's a bit eccentric and whatnot and I enjoy his goofiness..to a point. The thing with the glove  and when he does that after a big save is getting old fast. It was funny the first time. But now it makes him look like an idiot.

Let's have it right, the gyrating incident was top of the scale cringeworthy, imo.

Emi Martinez career stats...

2010 - joins Arsenal as an apprentice on his 17th birthday, makes 15 appearances between 2012 and 2020

2012 - 1 appearance for Oxford United

2013 - 11 appearances for Sheffield Wednesday

2015 - 8 appearances for Rotherham United

2019 - 18 appearances for Reading

2020 - Signs for Aston Villa and becomes #1

2022 - World Cup Hero with Argentina.

Argentina since Emi Martinez made his international debut on June 3, 2021:

🏆 2021 Copa América winners

🏆 2022 Finalissima winners

🏆 2022 World Cup winners

He ain't going anywhere. Moving to Villa was the best decision of his professional life!

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Give it a week and once the league returns, his antics will be forgotten. People are trying to make a storm in a teacup out of it. 

No anger from me. I'm English. The French lost. I effin' love it.

• Like 1

Â