Matty Cash

paul514

Firstly I'm a Matty Cash fan, but I am starting to think he's found his ceiling and he's a good squad player starting too many matches.

I'm watching the Brentford match now and after closely watching him, I can conclude that he is a younger better Alan Hutton. 

I was an Alan Hutton fan too, I thought he was treated poorly several times yet when we needed him he gave his all for us. 

Matty is in the same mould... Very likeable, will have some memorable moments to saviour.

He will also be mostly average the majority of the time, and that's not good enough I'm afraid.

Signing a new RB is now something I think should be considered a priority.

• Like 4

Like everyone, I like Matty.

I have recently found myself questioning his role in the team and have noticed some progressive passes not being taken and him taking the safe route by going backwards, which can halt our progression.

That said, I also remind myself that I thought McGinn had definitely reached his ceiling as a middling Prem midfielder towards the end of Gerrard's time, and he's now one of the best players in the Premier League. 

Sometimes things can change and I think Matty has definitely earnt that time.  Ultimately, if there's something he's not doing Unai and the coaches want him to, it'll be coached to him.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

Still fine as a RB I think. No qualms having him and Konsa for the rest of the season - we need cover centrally then though.

Cash struggles in that advanced role, but that clearly won't be a long term thing. If Buendia hadn't got injured we'd never have seen him there this season.

• Like 1

Cash does a job but I think that’s not enough in our team now as we are so good. He always looks so uncomfortable on the ball, which in a possession team trying to break down a low block it really hampers us. Moreno and Digne down the left look so much more threatening and can actually cross a ball. 

Id love for him to stay part of the squad but I think a better right back should come in now so Konsa can move back to the middle. Frimpong is more a right wing back and doubt it happens in January, but if we could get him out of Leverkusen it would be a huge coup (with Kamara moving to centre half when Frimpong and Digne/Moreno go forward).

• Like 2

Nowhere near good enough. Lacks good positional awareness and is not quick enough either. If he matched Moreno in terms of his threat on the overlap then, as with Moreno, we can live with his defensive frailties but he hasn't the pace to work the wing nor are his crosses worth waiting for. Nice guy but not good enough for a team looking to cement even a top ten place each season.

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

Nowhere near good enough. Lacks good positional awareness and is not quick enough either. If he matched Moreno in terms of his threat on the overlap then, as with Moreno, we can live with his defensive frailties but he hasn't the pace to work the wing nor are his crosses worth waiting for. Nice guy but not good enough for a team looking to cement even a top ten place each season.

I'd say pace is Cash's best attribute. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Still fine as a RB I think. No qualms having him and Konsa for the rest of the season - we need cover centrally then though.

Cash struggles in that advanced role, but that clearly won't be a long term thing. If Buendia hadn't got injured we'd never have seen him there this season.

Exactly, I’ve heard some fans say Emery is getting it wrong with Cash but it’s not like he has many options. We are light on the right side of the pitch. 

22 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I'd say pace is Cash's best attribute. 

He is by no means slow but the top widemen tend to destroy him. His biggest issue - in my humble opinion - is that he tends to do zonal marking and is happy to let the opposition wideman be the regular outball which puts him on the spot ..... which is why I always feel the opposition tends to cause us more issues on that side.

7 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

I think he's fine, the way Emery sets up is one attacking FB and one who sits deeper, so Moreno will be that one pushing forward and Cash sits back, no issues with that. 

It’s one of Emery’s plans I suppose but sometimes we play with 2 attacking fullbacks the tactical approach differs when people constantly say this I wonder if the actually watch our team at times.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s one of Emery’s plans I suppose but sometimes we play with 2 attacking fullbacks the tactical approach differs when people constantly say this I wonder if the actually watch our team at times.

I watch nearly every game and 90% of the time I see it as one more forward whilst the other sits deeper. Not saying he doesn't deploy different tactics but that's how we usually set-up, same when Konsa is playing RB, he sits in more. I do wonder if people actually watch our team at times. 😜

2 hours ago, Zero7 said:

I watch nearly every game and 90% of the time I see it as one more forward whilst the other sits deeper. Not saying he doesn't deploy different tactics but that's how we usually set-up, same when Konsa is playing RB, he sits in more. I do wonder if people actually watch our team at times. 😜

There have been numerous times where we’ve set up different, sometimes Kamara covers the right hand side and drops as the 3rd central defender. Recently yes it’s often been Konsa, Carlos, Pau with Dinge/‘Moreno in a advanced position. Having watched more than one Unai Emery team play I can assure you his plans require flexibility and are not set in stone.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

There have been numerous times where we’ve set up different, sometimes Kamara covers the right hand side and drops as the 3rd central defender. Recently yes it’s often been Konsa, Carlos, Pau with Dinge/‘Moreno in a advanced position. Having watched more than one Unai Emery team play I can assure you his plans require flexibility and are not set in stone.

Yes the three ways we've set up this season are Digne/Cash as attacking fullbacks and Kamara dropping deep to be RCB in back 3. 

Cash being RM ahead of Konsa at RB but working as a back 5 at times.

More at beginning of season had Cash as RB but sitting back more vs Digne attacking down left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes the three ways we've set up this season are Digne/Cash as attacking fullbacks and Kamara dropping deep to be RCB in back 3. 

Cash being RM ahead of Konsa at RB but working as a back 5 at times.

More at beginning of season had Cash as RB but sitting back more vs Digne attacking down left.

It's interesting that Unai has moved away from Cash at RCB a lot.

He played decently enough in that role last season and I can't remember any shockers he had when we started out in that formation this season?

I remember Crystal Palace at home last season, Unai even had him play as a more traditional overlapping fullback wide of a box midfield and he got the assist for the OG.

Unai clearly sees something on video that prompted the change but haven't seen a lot of the end result yet.

Edited by DJBOB

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

It's interesting that Unai has moved away from Cash at RCB a lot.

He played decently enough in that role last season and I can't remember any shockers he had when we started out in that formation this season?

I remember Crystal Palace at home last season, Unai even had him play as a more traditional overlapping fullback wide of a box midfield and he got the assist for the OG.

Unai clearly sees something on video that prompted the change but haven't seen a lot of the end result yet.

Cash played that role well enough, but if the RB is going to stay at home as part of a 3 when we're in attack, Konsa is probably better at that role. If you're going to drop Kamara into the back 3, or go for all-out attack and keep only 2 in the back, then Cash is better.

IMO Matty Cash has to stay as part of the squad moving forwards. He’s a model pro, with a great attitude and loves the club. You don’t just throw that away because there may be a slightly better technical option.

Also as we improve as a club we need to develop more squad depth. Do you think Cash would be happy with say 25 games a season including cup competitions and European minutes? I think he would as he’s openly stated he loves the club and his international ambitions are covered with Poland 

On 19/12/2023 at 09:45, lapal_fan said:

Like everyone, I like Matty.

I have recently found myself questioning his role in the team and have noticed some progressive passes not being taken and him taking the safe route by going backwards, which can halt our progression.

That said, I also remind myself that I thought McGinn had definitely reached his ceiling as a middling Prem midfielder towards the end of Gerrard's time, and he's now one of the best players in the Premier League. 

Sometimes things can change and I think Matty has definitely earnt that time.  Ultimately, if there's something he's not doing Unai and the coaches want him to, it'll be coached to him.

Just don't think he has progressive passes in his locker. Ash Young used to make them all the time. Cash just doesn't and never really has.

Â