Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can you explain to me what's happening here? 

I know zero about Scottish politics but to row back on net zero agreements when you're in a coalition with The Greens seems insane. 

not as insane as going into a coalition with the Greens  :) 

I think like the rest of the world they've realised the target was frankly bollocks and they need more time  .. at least the rest of the world did it without blaming England though 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

not as insane as going into a coalition with the Greens  :) 

I think like the rest of the world they've realised the target was frankly bollocks and they need more time  .. at least the rest of the world did it without blaming England though 

The target is only bollocks if you do **** all to make it happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

they've realised the target was frankly bollocks and they need more time

Should Villa try and win the league?  What happens if you fall a bit short of your target and it takes a bit more time. You’re still closer to your ultimate aim.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The target is only bollocks if you do **** all to make it happen. 

it was blatantly unrealistic 

I'm not advocating countries just give up , just set realistic expectations

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Should Villa try and win the league?  What happens if you fall a bit short of your target and it takes a bit more time. You’re still closer to your ultimate aim.

to use your Villa analogy  , have a look at the outcome ( and the merriment)  around the "5 year plan"  .. we got further from the ultimate aim 

We all want to go green and reduce carbon impacts but , ultimately people don't want to pay the price  ...   hey look this item made in worlds number one polluter China  is cheaper than this one made by free range unicorns in England , think I'll buy the Chinese one  .. hey look I can get the train to Manchester for £300 return or I can fly for £65 return  .. if countries / governments  are serious they can do actual stuff , not just spout out soundbites 

as i say , we don't have to give up , and to my knowledge the SNP haven't given up , they've just moved the time frame to one that was more realistic 

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

if countries / governments  are serious they can do actual stuff , not just spout out soundbites 

Well exactly. But they’ve decided to ditch the doing stuff thing, because it’s short term unpopular (to an extent).  One of the problems of democracy is party interest over national or global interests and the nationalist parties are just as prone to that as any others

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Yousaf resigning in the morning is the word on the street 

Is Surrey a hotbed of Scottish nationalism? I had the impression it was more of a hate the French, cyclists and teachers kinda place?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Is Surrey a hotbed of Scottish nationalism? I had the impression it was more of a hate the French, cyclists and teachers kinda place?

I can’t be sure but I think I overheard someone say it was absolutely full of kilts.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Also seems the streets of Surrey are wrong 

Sky this morning saying he won’t be resigning

Yeah they also said he was having a news conference and that's been cancelled now  :D 

What a shitshow, without knowing too much, it has the feel of having been so avoidably self inflicted.

To abandon a point of policy difference which was so obviously going to split an alliance, just very odd politicking.

I would suspect it wil now be a lurch away from progressive stuff to fight toe to toe on ground that didn’t need fighting over.

46 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What a shitshow, without knowing too much, it has the feel of having been so avoidably self inflicted.

I dunno. The Green party was gonna break it up, because SNP ditched the climate target thingy, he heard they were about to call a members vote on leaving the agreement, so ended it first, so it looked like he ditched them, rather than they ditched him. Hobson's choice, really.

51 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

To abandon a point of policy difference which was so obviously going to split an alliance, just very odd politicking.

I would suspect it wil now be a lurch away from progressive stuff to fight toe to toe on ground that didn’t need fighting over.

on the drive to work this morning , on radio 5 live the commenter from Scotland said that the greens were going to rip up the Bute agreement anyway , but he decided to pre-empt them and do it instead .. But , as its a foreign country and my political knowledge of it isn't that great , I don't know if it was a trap they set and walked into it or if it would have still ended in the same outcome or not 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

It seems the word on the Surry streets was right :D 

you know how it is  , Surrey gets its news via the internet , the rest of England still gets it via carrier pigeon 

Yeah, I get the bit around the Bute agreement and ditching the Greens before they ditched him. That’s what I don’t understand. He so clearly needed them that ditching the Green Agenda so thoroughly was such a dumb move, there must have been a dozen ways to keep talking, keep compromising, get the other side of the Westminster election. His actions could only ever have ended this way. Whatever policies you back, or believe in, or put up with, there’s some pretty simple maths to consider first.

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I get the bit around the Bute agreement and ditching the Greens before they ditched him. That’s what I don’t understand. He so clearly needed them that ditching the Green Agenda so thoroughly was such a dumb move, there must have been a dozen ways to keep talking, keep compromising, get the other side of the Westminster election. His actions could only ever have ended this way. Whatever policies you back, or believe in, or put up with, there’s some pretty simple maths to consider first.

They must have just seen right through him, all the delays and excuses. And I assume his party wouldn't allow any kind of compromise with them. 

Assume he was just screwed either way. 

• Like 1

Â