Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

QAnon seems to be gaining more publicity, and whilst I know a bit about what it is (sort of VT if you took everyone from On Topic and put them into the Conspiracy Theory Thread), but on the whole I feel at a loss as to how they seem to be gaining so much influence.

It’s one of those weird things where I presume that other than half a dozen people who are ill, everyone else is just on board for a laugh.

Then all of a sudden, having dismissed them, it turns out 52% vote for brexit, or whatever. 

Strange times.

• Like 3

No mention of Sutton Coldfield's ongoing struggle for independence from its colonial masters at Birmingham town hall? I remember a few years ago someone was going round sticking tudor roses over the Birmingham coat of arms on street signs around Sutton, and the only thing that the new town council seems to have done with its limited powers has been to erect "welcome to the ROYAL TOWN of Sutton Coldfield" signs at the borders with Erdington and Kingstanding...

Some fantastic quotes here:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/sutton-coldfield-makes-bid-break-12651887

The Shetland Islands is to make a bid for independence from Scotland.

The Shetland Islands Council voted overwhelmingly in favour of a motion proposing the rugged islands' politicians begin exploring ways of "achieving financial and political self-determination".

The move could lead to a referendum on independence from the Scottish mainland.

Councillors voted 18 to two in favour of a motion which argued that centralised decision-making by the SNP at Holyrood, and funding cuts handed to the islands by an SNP Government, were reasons to seek political and financial independence.

I guess there is always somebody smaller than you getting itchy feet...

Are there still people in Solihull that still want to be part of Warwickshire and not the West Midlands? My wife - from Pompey - used to get really confused when someone would get uppity about being from Solihull and definitely NOT Birmingham. We ALL sound the same to her. (I'm a Gravelly Hill/Dorridge reject)

9 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

No mention of Sutton Coldfield's ongoing struggle for independence from its colonial masters at Birmingham town hall? I remember a few years ago someone was going round sticking tudor roses over the Birmingham coat of arms on street signs around Sutton, and the only thing that the new town council seems to have done with its limited powers has been to erect "welcome to the ROYAL TOWN of Sutton Coldfield" signs at the borders with Erdington and Kingstanding...

Some fantastic quotes here:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/sutton-coldfield-makes-bid-break-12651887

I think the wider point about Birmingham City Council being too big is spot on. Its the biggest authority in Europe and generally poorly run. London was broken up into smaller boroughs and thats what should happen to BCC. Divide it into 4 separate councils or something like that. 

Sutton itself, as a town, has never really felt like part of Birmingham, its only partly (other parts under Walsall and Lichfield) under BCC due to the creation of the West Mids county in 1974. 

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think the wider point about Birmingham City Council being too big is spot on. Its the biggest authority in Europe and generally poorly run. London was broken up into smaller boroughs and thats what should happen to BCC. Divide it into 4 separate councils or something like that. 

Sutton itself, as a town, has never really felt like part of Birmingham, its only partly (other parts under Walsall and Lichfield) under BCC due to the creation of the West Mids county in 1974. 

Come up here and tell me that. Merseyside is actually multiple smaller councils... Liverpool, Sefton, Knowsley, Wirral, St Helens and Halton. It's an effin nightmare

A blind man can tell you when you've crossed from Liverpool into Sefton by the decrease in the potholes

I actually long for all of the councils to merge into one larger one. In my game thats six different licensing authorities, every single one of them has different rules and regulations. It's a nightmare dealing with them all

Be careful what you wish for, would be my take

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Come up here and tell me that. Merseyside is actually multiple smaller councils... Liverpool, Sefton, Knowsley, Wirral, St Helens and Halton. It's an effin nightmare

A blind man can tell you when you've crossed from Liverpool into Sefton by the decrease in the potholes

I actually long for all of the councils to merge into one larger one. In my game thats six different licensing authorities, every single one of them has different rules and regulations. It's a nightmare dealing with them all

Oh West Mids is like that.. you've got the big beast that is BCC then Walsall, Wolves, Sandwell, Solihull, Dudley and Coventry that make up the wider West Midlands county. In that respect, its no different to Merseyside.

Yu could always tell when you went from Brum council area to Walsall council area by the bins... Walsall has green, brown and black bins for various waste and up until recently in Birmingham, you just used to throw your bin bag in the street on collection day! To be fair, I think Brum have improved on that front. 

Its just that within Brum CC itself, its too big IMO. 

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Oh West Mids is like that.. you've got the big beast that is BCC then Walsall, Wolves, Sandwell, Solihull, Dudley and Coventry that make up the wider West Midlands county. In that respect, its no different to Merseyside.

Yu could always tell when you went from Brum council area to Walsall council area by the bins... Walsall has green, brown and black bins for various waste and up until recently in Birmingham, you just used to throw your bin bag in the street on collection day! To be fair, I think Brum have improved on that front. 

Its just that within Brum CC itself, its too big IMO. 

Definitely agree about Brum CC being too big (I think it's the largest council in Europe, but that might be one of those urban myths). Personally I'd divide it into seperate councils for North and South Brum. I know Andrew Mitchell has suggested breaking it up into the seperate constituencies but IMO that would be dreadful for the poorer areas of the city (as well as being an administrative nightmare)

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely approach with caution, but all the polls are in the same direction month after month.

Going through the data, 64% of Scots, regardless of how they would vote, believe there should be a referendum. Will of the people, Johnson, will of the people.

Looking at the age breakdown, all ages below 65 were in favour of independence, with it running above 70% in the three age brackets between 16 and 44.

On 11/09/2020 at 14:33, bickster said:

Or in football forum speak: Sky versus BT & Sky & Amazon. 

The FREE market knows all.

Â