Freedom for Tooting! And other similar nutty fringe communities

chrisp65

50 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s pure guesswork on my part, but I’d have this down as more of an unintended consequence.

Looking at the difference between the Scottish Sun and English Sun around election times, my guess is deliberate.

Over the course of the weekend just gone, an additional 2,000 people signed up to a small monthly direct debit to promote the campaign for Independence.

Small, but a definite direction of travel. 

Edit: plus another 1,000 today

Edited by chrisp65

• 2 weeks later...

Someone should ask the relatives of the 50,000 dead what their definition of disaster is.

C’mon Scotland, get it done.

Let the prick Johnson be the final recruiting sergeant. Let the man who just wanted to be in the history books as PM be the one that lost the union.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Someone should ask the relatives of the 50,000 dead what their definition of disaster is.

C’mon Scotland, get it done.

Let the prick Johnson be the final recruiting sergeant. Let the man who just wanted to be in the history books as PM be the one that lost the union.

It’s largely Johnson’s decision to permit a referendum isn’t it? I don’t think one will happen while the Tories are in charge. Also Labour won’t want to lose Scottish electorates in a breakup of the UK so there might be a bit of reluctance from their side as well if they ever got in power (it would probably take a voter shift in Scotland away from the SNP and their independence ideas, back to Labour in order to get a UK Labour Prime Minister anyway).

Edited by LondonLax

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s largely Johnson’s decision to permit a referendum isn’t it? I don’t think one will happen while the Tories are in charge. Labour won’t want to lose Scottish electorates in a breakup of the UK so there might be a bit of reluctance from their side as well if they ever got in power.

Yep, all he has to do is tell 55% of Scots that the English tory PM in Westminster won’t allow their democratic rights and the problem goes away.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, all he has to do is tell 55% of Scots that the English tory PM in Westminster won’t allow their democratic rights and the problem goes away.

The current arrangement suits Sturgeon and the SNP to a tee. The cynic in me wouldn’t be surprised if she was just as happy to maintain the status quo as Johnson is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The current arrangement suits Sturgeon and the SNP to a tee. The cynic in me wouldn’t be surprised if she was just as happy to maintain the status quo as Johnson is. 

Personally, I think that would be an incorrect take.

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sadly, from a Tory perspective, I think there's no 'problem' at all.

Well it depends which Tory perspective that is.

The election Tory, yep sure. But Trad Tory Values are for the Union and losing the Union could bugger them up in other ways

Just now, bickster said:

The election Tory, yep sure. But Trad Tory Values are for the Union and losing the Union could bugger them up in other ways

Indeed. There will be no union within 10 years. England may well end up as an international pariah. The last 5 years have done more damage to England than the collapse of the empire ever did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

No surprise he feels that way, but pretty bold to say it anyway.

A bigger mistake than an illegal war with 100,000 dead and a world destabilised for a generation?

What the **** goes on in Johnson’s lazy half baked head?

Not a man overly bothered by high death tolls is he.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

My opinion, which was born out of May's platform and actions upon taking office, and I feel supported by the outcome of the election in 2017 and the timidity of Johnson's Queen's Speech this year, is that the Tories' constitutional recklessness is their way of compensating for their absolutely lacklustre policy offering. It seems to me that keeping people *angry* about Scottish independence, on both sides, does no harm to their electoral prospects.

You're right that it goes against their 'traditional' views and values, but the way they keep acting is as if they frankly don't care that much about that stuff any more. It isn't Dominic Grieve's Tory party. Maybe I'm wrong, and there will be a lot of internal pushback - and medium term, something will shake up the stasis one way or another anyway - but short term, I think they're pretty happy about how 'the Scottish question' is working out for them.

Â