Jaden Philogene

Kingman

34 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I wonder if anyone who is better at assessing players can help me understand why we parted ways with JPB. Setting aside the financial reasons -- I understand those enough -- but in terms of talent. I was listening to a Villa pod yesterday, and a reporter was just like, "Well, we all knew he wasn't Premier League-level," like it was something anybody with a brain and eyes knew a long time ago, like there wasn't even a question.

And yet, to me, he seemed incredible. Crazy energy, crazy versatile, able to score goals, very young with years ahead of him. I've been left scratching my head. I'm not saying this because I think I know better. I really want to understand what things were apparently so obvious to everyone else. Thanks!

He wanted regular game time and he wasn’t getting guaranteed starts over Diaby, Bailey, Zaniolo, McGinn, and JJ. 

Unai stated that he wanted to keep him on but at his age, he wanted to start every week. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I wonder if anyone who is better at assessing players can help me understand why we parted ways with JPB. Setting aside the financial reasons -- I understand those enough -- but in terms of talent. I was listening to a Villa pod yesterday, and a reporter was just like, "Well, we all knew he wasn't Premier League-level," like it was something anybody with a brain and eyes knew a long time ago, like there wasn't even a question.

And yet, to me, he seemed incredible. Crazy energy, crazy versatile, able to score goals, very young with years ahead of him. I've been left scratching my head. I'm not saying this because I think I know better. I really want to understand what things were apparently so obvious to everyone else. Thanks!

In these situations,  you would like to trust the coaching staff and also judge based on the level of club a player joins. They tend to know. I can't give you any intricate details but on the macro level they tend to get it right...

Archer and Ramsey are different examples as they have been picked up at the PL level, it remains to be seen what they can do.

56 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

In these situations,  you would like to trust the coaching staff and also judge based on the level of club a player joins. They tend to know. I can't give you any intricate details but on the macro level they tend to get it right...

Archer and Ramsey are different examples as they have been picked up at the PL level, it remains to be seen what they can do.

Yes, definitely, but I guess what I was hearing from the journalist -- Jon Townley in this case -- made it sound like somehow it was just very obvious to anyone what was lacking in JDP, and all I'd ever seen from him amazed me. But yes, I trust our staff, for sure. Clearly they saw something I couldn't or wouldn't. Anyway, I wish him best. Exciting player! He was an incredible pest to a hard-charging Newcastle in the pre-season. He kept them on the backfoot constantly and his work rate was like Mitoma, and I just felt like, wow, we need that.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Cracking assist from Jaden against Stoke - ball over the top, bullies the defender and pulls it back for Aaron Connolly to tap in.

Showed a lot of pace too

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Goal and assist.

Think we done f***ed up. 5m?

I'd definitely have liked to have keep him as well. The money was so small, it was a bit weird. Maybe we did need it for FFP and no one was giving us £5m for Bailey or Traore.

We can get him back for under £10m though. A home grown two footed winger with 2/3 years of rugged championship football under his belt would hopefully be a good deal.

Zero doubt in my mind he'll improve more in 40 championship games than 25 apps in and out for us with minor league mins and v substandard cup opponents.

Obviously he could've possibly broke into the team this season, but if he's of that level he'll show it this year. 

Great start for him. Hull fans absolutely love him.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With JJ and Buendia injured he would have had a good chance of getting some starts for us . But thats just recency bias.

We wanted to keep him

He wanted to play guaranteed minutes which is vital at 21 years old.

So we get the buy back to ensure we don't miss out . 

All power to him. 

• Like 2

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

Scored for England u21 against Serbia on his debut I think, apparently a nicely taken, rifled finish 

Decent finish after a goalkeeping error.

He's got an assist for the 2nd too.

• Like 2

Â