Fixtures 20/21

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, chappy said:

Here’s the schedule:

(taken from @BenCrellin on Twitter)

1DAE77A5-6830-46C2-96D1-37F79BE775CD.png

Need to be a little careful how you read that - for example he has 27th January down as a free midweek - we play Burnley on the 26th. It's a free week for some teams. Same with Jan 13th.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So our first game will be in the Caribou Cup on 15th or 16th September.

Anyone know when the draw is? 

Probably 2am in Malaysia, with zero coverage, with nothing but their word it was all above board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Need to be a little careful how you read that - for example he has 27th January down as a free midweek - we play Burnley on the 26th. It's a free week for some teams. Same with Jan 13th.

Yes, looks like the fixtures have accounted for FA Cup 4th Round whereas he has put prem games to clash with it and a free slot in the midweek - I assume the ‘GW20’ he has are all the fixtures scheduled as being played tues 26th/weds 27th jan.

Presume half the games scheduled for 12th/13th jan will be played 19th/20th instead - like they split the fixtures for the winter break last season. Unless they’re abandoning the idea of the Gameweek 18a and 18b they announced last week.

Looks like there are only a couple of times when we would expect to go without points for a few games in a row.  We need to start strong and keep regularly picking up wins so we can be on the beach for the run in.

I think it's very possible that at some point there will be a further disruption to the season (someone breaking bubble rules, new breakout etc as people get a bit more lax about Covid), so would be good to get into a strong position early.

• Like 1

Depending on how the Caribou Cup goes for us, we could be looking at six games in the first eighteen days - it'd be good to get some of those signings in early - if not, we might see some of the kids sooner than we'd think.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Until the crowds are back, home and away doesn't make much difference. I'd rather have played Leeds away early rather than at home.

If you look at the form post lockdown (when they'd just been a 3 month break) then I think none of Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Man. City, Man United or Arsenal lost a home game.

If you look at our form we didn't win an away game despite having a couple of winnable ones but took 7 points from our 6 home games which is probably what we would've done with crowds.

Still think players just feeling comfortable at their home venue plays a part mentally.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is it okay to hope Jack and Tyrone aren't called up for the two England friendlies on the 5th and 8th September?

Grealish will probably put in a transfer request if England don't call him up now. I don't have an issue, it's been four weeks since the West Ham game pretty much so they've had a reasonable rest. Playing the two England games will get them a bit sharper and we don't have a game on the following weekend now.

The clash with city could be resolved by moving it to a different Saturday and then having whatever was meant to be played that Saturday rearranged for midweek.  They've got options although why they wouldn't plan for this before releasing the fixture list i'm not sure

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Depending on how the Caribou Cup goes for us, we could be looking at six games in the first eighteen days - it'd be good to get some of those signings in early - if not, we might see some of the kids sooner than we'd think.

Didn't we beat Crewe 6-1 last year with largely a reserve team?

It's possible they might ask us to play Man. City on a Tuesday and then we play whatever round of league cup on a Thursday with a different 11 e.g. Lansbury, Taylor (if they're still here) El Ghazi, Trez etc. Means we have to get in 4-5 signings before start of the season but that has to be the plan regardless.

If you look at Spurs I think they have two europa league qualifiers in the same week as two rounds of league cup so they're going to have to do a Liverpool and mix up their squad for the two games.

I do think a fair few prem clubs will treat the league cup as an under 23 tournament this season (Liverpool already do this with the FA cup of course) so good chance for an outsider to win it this year I think.

Â