Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

on Fbref - this is Ollie's year by year G-xG and you can see that since he's been at Villa - he's typically underperformed his xG. Now - there is a bit of noise in this data because xG is a very broad metric to be applied and he generally played in a side that didn't create a lot of chances.

But this season, he's clearly been overperforming his xG and showing his clinical touch. Though - it's probably helped by the occasional empty net that he scored against Forest. 

image.png.905dc96dbf7d66755e15c52f4f8ad7b6.png

Ah thanks. I was looking at understat which has him below his xG by 1.5. They also have Haaland underperforming by 4.

50 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Euros? Has Brentford along with Greater London finally up sticks and has joined the eurozone?

That’s what it’s quoted on transfermarkt which translates to £29m which mentioned earlier in my post but everyone seems to want to nit pick over a million or two, euros & pounds here for some reason instead of actually acknowledging that the fee we paid for him looking back seem cheap and great value. 

On 25/02/2024 at 15:41, allani said:

One thing that I have been critical of Ollie in the past about is his intelligence / movement in the box.  He's had a habit of finding himself in positions where either there are defenders between him and the ball or between him and the goal.  I watched his opener yesterday and although it looks like Bailey does all the hard work to give him an absolute sitter - if you watch it back then Ollie's movement is great.  He drags his defender towards the near post as Bailey is nut-megging his way into the box, then gives the defender a little nudge so the defender thinks he knows where Ollie is and then cleverly drifts towards the centre of the goal.  He's then in a great position for the rebound if Bailey shoots and hits the inside part of the near post or shoots to the far post and the keeper makes a block.  Or if Bailey plays him the perfect square ball.  It looks like an easy chance created entirely by Bailey's brilliant run and great pass.  But actually Ollie's movement / positioning was SO much better than it has been in the past.

His movement has always been very good outside the box (although I still think he's better moving towards their goal rather than towards our goal) but that incident and a few other runs that he made / positions he found in the box showed me that this is something that I think he and the coaches have really been working on this season.  It's a sign of a genuine striker /centre forward.  Very impressed.

Unlike times in the past....these players are now working, to improve their game, and the integration of their game, all the time.

It's quite exciting, to think, this is the format, moving forward.

I noticed Ollie, was doing some twisting and turning, by me ( Doug Ellis) seemed full of beans, taking players on in one on ones.

......but we have to be respectful, when top, top defenders come to town, it's much more challenging then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

100% - everyone on VT knows how I've highlighted certain parts of his game in a negative way in the past. I probably was being overly harsh but I just called things as I saw them. Right now - I genuinely cannot question anything about his game, not a single thing. His touch has become superb, his footwork at times is immense, and crucially, he's really helping our build-up with some really intelligent passing. He had a lot of aggression about his game on Saturday as well, and was unplayable. Not to mention his two finishes away to Fulham - different class.

well said.

I think another thing that impresses me with the lad, is his humility to engage with UE in improving even more.

some players are so arrogant, they think they know it all.

Our boy, is so grounded.

I would love him to get 20 league goals, just for his own CV....and enhance his International acceptance.

I must admit, one of my favourite Villa Players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Unlike times in the past....these players are now working, to improve their game, and the integration of their game, all the time.

It's quite exciting, to think, this is the format, moving forward.

I noticed Ollie, was doing some twisting and turning, by me ( Doug Ellis) seemed full of beans, taking players on in one on ones.

......but we have to be respectful, when top, top defenders come to town, it's much more challenging then.

Absolutely - doing it in a crowded penalty box against a top 6 team in another matter.  However, there are some really encouraging signs there.  I've just watched Dougie's first goal back this morning - every single Villa player (well all 11 who were on the pitch anyway!) touched the ball in the build up to the goal.  Ollie dropped deep early on and laid the ball back - but that dragged one of their players well out of position.  And then Ollie's movement in the box was almost as good as it was for his goal.  He makes a very similar movement - the guy marking him follows him and it leaves an absolute acre of space for Dougie to run into.

Very clearly two examples of the kind of dynamic involvement that you and I have discussed in the past.  Rather than standing still waiting for the ball to come to you or waiting for someone to create a chance for you - these were two good example of Ollie making something happen to create the space for him or a team-mate to exploit.  Yes - we need to be doing it against next-level defenders too or when teams don't engage with us in deeper positions but it's another clear change for the good and an example of good coaching and a player willing to listen and adapt.  (Another criticism I have had of Ollie in the past is that he doesn't get enough assists - he's nailed that this season and put bells and whistles on the end of it at the same time.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

100% - everyone on VT knows how I've highlighted certain parts of his game in a negative way in the past. I probably was being overly harsh but I just called things as I saw them. Right now - I genuinely cannot question anything about his game, not a single thing. His touch has become superb, his footwork at times is immense, and crucially, he's really helping our build-up with some really intelligent passing. He had a lot of aggression about his game on Saturday as well, and was unplayable. Not to mention his two finishes away to Fulham - different class.

Ok (and please bear in mind my other very positive posts on Ollie today!!!).  I think there are two areas where he could improve and become an even better player.  (1) His touch when coming towards our goal rather than when going towards the opposition goal is at times a bit more heavy.  (2) When he's got his back to goal against a more "agricultural" defender he's not strong enough to hold them off and he's not quite cute enough to win enough free-kicks.  I'm not expecting him to throw himself to the ground all the time - but he gets fouled an awful lot more than the number of free-kicks he wins suggests.  I thought he did much better against Fulham and Forest where he seemed to present his case for being manhandled a little better and ended up winning a few more decisions.

But he's improved massively since Emery and his coaching team have arrived for sure.  Pretty confident that whatever records he doesn't end up breaking this season he'll be challenging and beating next season.

• Like 2

It’s his mentality that really stands out. That will and drive to constantly improve. Must be an absolute dream for a manager. Say he hits 20 goals this season you know he will go for 25 next season. Great player. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, villan95 said:

Where is this? The website I checked has him slightly underperforming his xG. Not that I've noticed it myself, I think he's been brilliant this season.

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

on Fbref - this is Ollie's year by year G-xG and you can see that since he's been at Villa - he's typically underperformed his xG. Now - there is a bit of noise in this data because xG is a very broad metric to be applied and he generally played in a side that didn't create a lot of chances.

But this season, he's clearly been overperforming his xG and showing his clinical touch. Though - it's probably helped by the occasional empty net that he scored against Forest. 

image.png.905dc96dbf7d66755e15c52f4f8ad7b6.png

Yeah this.

When you add in Europe and look at xA as well it becomes significant

3 hours ago, villan95 said:

Where is this? The website I checked has him slightly underperforming his xG. Not that I've noticed it myself, I think he's been brilliant this season.

I calculated his xG for the season as being 0 back in June, so he is massively exceeding expectations.

21 hours ago, allani said:

Ok (and please bear in mind my other very positive posts on Ollie today!!!).  I think there are two areas where he could improve and become an even better player.  (1) His touch when coming towards our goal rather than when going towards the opposition goal is at times a bit more heavy.  (2) When he's got his back to goal against a more "agricultural" defender he's not strong enough to hold them off and he's not quite cute enough to win enough free-kicks.  I'm not expecting him to throw himself to the ground all the time - but he gets fouled an awful lot more than the number of free-kicks he wins suggests.  I thought he did much better against Fulham and Forest where he seemed to present his case for being manhandled a little better and ended up winning a few more decisions.

But he's improved massively since Emery and his coaching team have arrived for sure.  Pretty confident that whatever records he doesn't end up breaking this season he'll be challenging and beating next season.

On point 2, I 100% agree. Prime example was the recent home match against Newcastle. He was being manhandled and pushed from behind all game, trying to stand his ground and shield the ball unsuccesfully. The referees are not giving him anything unless he goes to ground, so he needs to be a bit smarter and less honest for himself and the team. Hopefully as he becomes a higher profile player in the league, the referees will look more kindly on him.

11 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The amazing thing is we have so many contenders. Martinez, Pau, Luiz, McGinn, Bailey….. but for me it’s Watkins at the moment. 

Yep Ollie is up there but for me there is only one person and that’s Dougie, he’s the heartbeat of this team and POTS imo.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When’s the last time we had a Player of the Season contender let alone won it. Paul McGrath?

Ashley Young mk1 I imagine

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Wasn't Milner young player of the year the year before he left or am I misremembering?

Probably. he seemed to still qualify for that award after he'd been playing for about 10 years

Â