Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 hours ago, Callum said:

he could always fall back on his work rate and work off the ball under Smith, Gerrard. But he doesn’t need to do nearly as much of that under Unai, so when he doesn’t score he hasn’t anything to fall back on. Don’t think he was too bad tbh. 

I thought he had a good game, the work rate was still there and he was good in his involvements. Not his fault we created very little for him. 

He did well to get that save from Pickford, if he’s taking that first time instead and putting it bottom corner he probably wouldn’t be playing for us. 

Had a decent game under the circumstances and held the ball up from some high clearances from our defence, something new that should get results when we perfect it. This part of Ollies game will get us results against this defense, midfield press treams have been using against us. Ollie just needs someone around him when he's winning these balls, Diaby was to far away and struggled with the physical side of the game with the fans referring the game through the ref.

Poor game by his standards this season. Not terrible, and not helped by Diaby or Bailey really, but not his best. I was thinking the break would have done him good but maybe gong to now need a few games to get his sharpness back.

His pointless effort, which was always going to get blocked by one of three defenders in front of him, led to their counter attack where Martinez saved us 

He was hesitant to shoot first time when through on goal, unlike earlier in the season.  Not sure if the break has introduced some rustiness or his confidence isn't what it was after a few games without scoring, but instead of taking a touch and running to an impossible angle he'd have been striking the ball straight away earlier in the season.

He had some poor touches that were too heavy and gifted the ball back to Everton, although there were other occasions when he won the ball when he shouldn't have so evens themselves out. If he had better support from his front line then those poor touches can be layoffs and his job would be a lot easier.

These games happen, I'm sure physically he'll benefit from this period of quiet, so just got to hope he gets something against Newcastle or Chelsea to start his next run of form.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Only 3 goal involvements in last 7 league games is definitely a concern, hopefully it's just a bad patch.

Pretty sure throughout his time at the club Watkins has been streaky. It isn't something new with him. Could be wrong but pretty sure he has gone 9 games or so without scoring in the past a couple of times. I'm sure the next goal scoring streak won't be far away.

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Only 3 goal involvements in last 7 league games is definitely a concern, hopefully it's just a bad patch.

Club as a whole has seen a big down turn in attacking threat since Pau has been out starting with Sheffield. 

Not too worried about Ollie as he’s had very few clear cut chances since then. Not even your typical “how’d he miss!” ones. 

Since Pau has been out, we’ve played Sheffield, United, Boro, Everton. 3 low blocks and a United match that went as it usually does at OT. 

Until we can generate a lot of chances against these low blocks, Ollie will tend to be a bit on the periphery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Club as a whole has seen a big down turn in attacking threat since Pau has been out starting with Sheffield. 

Not too worried about Ollie as he’s had very few clear cut chances since then. Not even your typical “how’d he miss!” ones. 

Since Pau has been out, we’ve played Sheffield, United, Boro, Everton. 3 low blocks and a United match that went as it usually does at OT. 

Until we can generate a lot of chances against these low blocks, Ollie will tend to be a bit on the periphery. 

Exactly this, we didn’t create anything for him. The amount of times we lumped it to tarkowski and brainthwhite was ridiculous

• Like 2

20 hours ago, villan95 said:

Strange, I thought he was decent. Held it well and the better of their centre backs. The service to him was just poor.

Agree. From my position in the lower tier I thought he stood up to the physicality of that thug Tarkowski and had the better of him. Just a shame the ref allowed their centre halves to kick lumps out of him for 90+ mins

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Agree. From my position in the lower tier I thought he stood up to the physicality of that thug Tarkowski and had the better of him. Just a shame the ref allowed their centre halves to kick lumps out of him for 90+ mins

Not his personality, which I’m grateful for, but can you imagine if he did Kane or Sterling-esque diving in the box. The amount of times he gets clattered but doesn’t swan dive into an imaginary hole in the ground has probably cost us a fair few penalties. 

I know alot of fans will say he does alot off the ball, but we need him to get back to scoring goals. It always seems when Watkin's is on it, they all are. I agree with some saying he gets limited service, but then top strikers find space, an I'm not sure Watkin's does enough, he always seems to be in tight spaces around the box.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It always seems when Watkin's is on it, they all are.

Or is it the other way around?

Whilst he can occasionally create something from nothing, i.e. a couple of goals he's created and scored through pressing and positioning to steal the ball off of defenders, like every striker he needs good service.

On a serious note, we need him back to his best if we wanna keep in the top 5. Yes he does this and that when he's not scoring, but he's our strike,r so the first priority needs to be goals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nunez getting a lot of hype, when this isn't even true as Ollie is currently sitting on 14 goals and 19 assists this season 

Copied by Goal from the PL's own X page. They both, presumably, forgot to include the word "domestic" after the word "all". The joy of instant media with no editorial controls.

Hoping Ollie gets a goal against Newcastle to kick start his form. I am still expecting that he'll get 20 PL goals this season. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nunez getting a lot of hype, when this isn't even true as Ollie is currently sitting on 14 goals and 19 assists this season 

He certainly doesn't have 19 assists.

Â