Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Saunders would be in the discussion for me, along with Yorke, Benteke and Ollie.

Problem is they’re all rather different to each other so comparisons are tricky.

I feel like Ollie is the better all round striker, but the others excelled in certain abilities. I don’t think the others would do as well in the current set up. 

• Like 1

Quiet games mean that he had the strength to leap and put that header in. I think he was knackered in the past sometimes under Smith and Gerrard having to play up top on his own. Don't get me wrong he had the stamina still but if you havent ran 13km then you will always have slightly more composure .  Its a tactic to keep him more in one position rather than running all over the gaf trying to find space 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Saunders would be in the discussion for me, along with Yorke, Benteke and Ollie.

Problem is they’re all rather different to each other so comparisons are tricky.

I feel like Ollie is the better all round striker, but the others excelled in certain abilities. I don’t think the others would do as well in the current set up. 

Benteke power, Shaw instinct,  Gabby speed , angel leap, ollie stamina would be worth £150 million easy

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Oh yeah Ollie is definitely better than Carew.

For me, overall, it's:

Watkins > Benteke > Yorke > Carew

I love Ollie, but a prime Yorke was much better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 games for Villa 

13 goals and 8 assists.. 

So 21 goal contributions in 21 games. 

He is starting to really get the consistency we need from him. Then think of the ones he has missed as well. A constant threat even when not on his game. 

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

In all comps, it was 25, 20 and 14. Tailed off a bit in the final season but that was because Collymore was being shoehorned in. 

It wasn't just his goals, it was his skill, vision and surprising strength. Was great with his back to the goal. Used to come deep a lot and run at the opposition. I saw most games during those seasons. He went to manure, played with better players and improved further. 

Benteke was excellent, not denying that. 

All IMO of course. 

I went to most of his games as well, he played well for us, Ollie for me is just a better team player, Physically stronger, bigger, fitter and he's villa through and through.

Yorke scored 73 goals for us in 231 games, Watkins 48 goals in 123 games, Watkins has the edge.

Edited by tinker

1 minute ago, tinker said:

I went to most of his games as well, he played well for us, Atkinson and Saunders were preferred and scored more important goals for us, but Ollie for me is just a better team player, Physically stronger, bigger, fitter and he's villa through and through.

Yorke scored 73 goals for us in 231 games, Watkins 48 goals in 123 games, Watkins has the edge.

Al lot of Yorke's early games were on the wing or off the bench. He hit 16 in 91/92 in all comps then had a few years being a squad player as Deano/Dalian took over. When Little made him his number one in 95/96, he excelled. 

I love Ollie as well so its not a criticism of him. 

• Like 2

Digging into Ollie’s stats, it really is a remarkable change to how he’s played his entire career. 

Highs in expected goals, expected assists, shot creating actions, goal creating actions, touches in the penalty area. 

Similarly, lows in passes and defensive actions. 

Unai has turned him into a goal scoring striker. 

7 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Digging into Ollie’s stats, it really is a remarkable change to how he’s played his entire career. 

Highs in expected goals, expected assists, shot creating actions, goal creating actions, touches in the penalty area. 

Similarly, lows in passes and defensive actions. 

Unai has turned him into a goal scoring striker. 

Like what Wenger did with Henry 😉

13 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

21 games for Villa 

13 goals and 8 assists.. 

He is starting to really get the consistency we need from him. Then think of the ones he has missed as well. A constant threat even when not on his game. 

If he could take penalties too he'd be closer to Haaland for the season. 

• Like 1

Trying to think of recent strikers who didn’t take pens. Benteke took a few but don’t remember  him being convincing. Don’t think we got enough pens with Bent. Gabby, haha. 

Thinking of a few others but I don’t remember Drogba, Torres, and/or Cavani on pens but that might have been for other better options.

15 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

21 games for Villa 

13 goals and 8 assists.. 

He can't finish though 🤪

Â