Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's a good return.

The reason you can't work it out is because I'm not moaning about anything.

Sorry I must have missed the positivity after he scored away at Stamford Bridge....

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Sorry I must have missed the positivity after he scored away at Stamford Bridge....

I saw you voted him MOTM today, so you obviously thought his performance was top notch given how good Kamara, Luiz, Konsa and Pau were.

15 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Sorry to hear that.

For clarification, my post that you latched onto was a response to a poster from this morning if that helps?

Today he scored at Stamford Bridge and his 1st goal in 11 league games. We done Ollie!   🥳 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AshVilla said:

You don't tap your badge like that after scoring unless your signing a new contract.

Fingers in the ears just before was a strange one I thought.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I don't understand a lot of the negative comments on Watkins. 

I can explain to help you understand: He's played shit this season :thumb:

---

This contract thing isn't twitter chatter though. It's been going on for around a year. In that time we've signed Tielemans on £140+k a week. Another player who will be on the bench when everyone is fit. And another player who has played very poorly this season.

Ollie's agents will be telling him he'll be getting a huge deal elsewhere if he doesn't sign up.

I do think Ollie is playing a dangerous game here though. If his performances don't improve we will definitely be offering him up for transfer and if a club is spending £60m, they won't be chucking £200k at him.

It would be a real shame because I think he's much better off playing a lot with Villa and Emery than in an out somewhere like Newcastle or Chelsea. The sort of player he is doesn't translate well to being in and out.

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He hasn't scored many but I don't think he has been shit. He still does lots of good things that help us in the attacking third. 

This is why I don’t understand the criticism. If the team wasn’t scoring at all then I’d get it but they and he is contributing to that.  

• Like 1

Great finish. He's contributed with assists and just his pressing game in general helps the team in a subtle way. 

There's barely any middle ground on here, either shite or great when it's not like that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wezbid said:

Great finish. He's contributed with assists and just his pressing game in general helps the team in a subtle way. 

There's barely any middle ground on here, either shite or great when it's not like that. 

He’s defined by goals by some. No point them even watching him to give an opinion. May as well just check the goals charts. 

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Fingers in the ears just before was a strange one I thought.

That was one to say I’m not listening to the haters 😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That was one to say I’m not listening to the haters 😉 

Where can he be hearing them? It's certainly not at games.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

He hasn't scored many but I don't think he has been shit. He still does lots of good things that help us in the attacking third. 

Game of opinions isn't it.

I couldn't give a **** if he scores 0 more goals this season if he starts playing well. He is not playing well, and still didn't today.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Chelsea and United tried to find a world class striker.

They can't find one

We have a very, very decent striker and a 19 year old kid with loads of talent.

The striker situation is not an issue and is not something we should focus at in coming transfer windows.

If you think this, you are  deluded. 

In my opinion obvs.

The striker situation should have been sorted out 2 transfer windows ago. Longer we wait, the more we'll eventually end up spending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Great to have him scoring again, we need all sorts of confidence to keep getting points. 
We still haven’t reach the performances we aim to as a team, but it’s important to keep winning point despite performances. The confidence will keep growing, wether individuals or as a team.

Watkins scoring will hopefully get him back to a run like last season, look at Duran and his 4 goals. Zaniolo still haven’t scored despite being dangerous, I think once he does he’ll start to improve even more. 

Next 3 games are really crucial, League Cup, Brighton and Europa. 
Let’s see what can we do against Everton first, hoping for a win which would give us another month of settling.

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Winning a penalty isn't an assist.  **** fantasy football

It should be though. Winning a penalty is literally the clearest way to set someone up with a goalscoring opportunity. Or, if they don’t count it as an assist, they shouldn’t count penalties in the goal record of strikers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dillon66 said:

If you think this, you are  deluded. 

In my opinion obvs.

The striker situation should have been sorted out 2 transfer windows ago. Longer we wait, the more we'll eventually end up spending.

I love deluded people telling other people they are deluded 🤣

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He hasn't scored for something like 10 games in the league before today.

Its not want you want to see from your main striker.

He's still been instrumental in many goals we've scored this season.

It doesn't matter who scores the goals as long as we get the goals.

The work Watkins put in is fundamental for us. Fans won't see it but managers will.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

It should be though. Winning a penalty is literally the clearest way to set someone up with a goalscoring opportunity. Or, if they don’t count it as an assist, they shouldn’t count penalties in the goal record of strikers.

But it's not a creative piece of play like a cross.  As I said before, if anything it's a defensive error.  Instead of just counting "own goals", we should start with "own assists" for given away penalties or those terrible backpasses which lead to goals.

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah you have to credit Watkins for the pens he's won. In both instances he gets a very clean shot at goal from around 5-10 yards out if he is not fouled. 

Â