Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

The solution is very simple.

we buy a proper striker and Ollie can be one of our wing forwards 

Yep, I said a few months ago he can support a main striker playing a role like that

Love the guy to bits, but if we put him on the market who would sign him and what would they be prepared to pay?

He's got a vital role to play in this squad but I know we can massively improve our first XI in that area if we'll spend the right money.

• Like 1

Hope people aren’t disappointed when Ollie is still our main striker next season. 

Just not a great market for pure center forwards. And that is his best position. His dribbling is not good enough to be a wide forward. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep, I said a few months ago he can support a main striker playing a role like that

Given the Asensio/Torres links, I think we'll be more likely to go for a goalscoring wide forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

The solution is very simple.

we buy a proper striker and Ollie can be one of our wing forwards 

Hmmmnnn. I think we’ve been there. In my view, Ollie is a Championship wide forward. He is a decent premiership centre forward. He either plays 9 or doesn’t play at all. I think he will still be our 9 next season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Hmmmnnn. I think we’ve been there. In my view, Ollie is a Championship wide forward. He is a decent premiership centre forward. He either plays 9 or doesn’t play at all. I think he will still be our 9 next season.

Agreed here. He should be the 9 to carry us until we can splash 50M+ for a better one. We need more scoring from other positions before Ollie. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If Don Unai was here from the start of the season then Ollie gets at least 17 goals and about 6/7 assists.

What he needs is someone who scores 12+ goals from Bailey’s position. 

Well he does have 14 goals and 6 assists, so not exactly far off as it is. Still not good enough if we want to go up another level though.

Edited by Tom13

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Well I just saw his pen miss. Don’t want him to be taking one again!!!

He always seems to go for high risk corner placement in high pressure situations. I always remember in his first season we had that last minute one v West Ham and for some reason he went for top corner and slightly misjudged and it came off the bar.

Not like this is a new thing as he missed three penalties at Brentford.

As we get better we're going to be getting more penalties again so can't really afford to have someone taking them who misses more than he scores. Could be an example of again overthinking when pressure is on as many players would timed their run up, watched Alisson beginning to dive that way and then just placed it in the other corner or down the middle.

56 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Well he does have 14 goals and 6 assists, so not exactly far off as it is. Still not good enough if we want to go up another level though.

Eh? Of course it is. What we need is at least another attacking player on 20 contributions or so. 

35 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Eh? Of course it is. What we need is at least another attacking player on 20 contributions or so. 

It’s this. Unless you can unearth Kane or Haaland, Watkins popping in 20+ contributions is very good even when he was shackled for almost a third of the season. 

Luiz and Ramsay have 11 each but we need more from the Buendia and Bailey positions who only have 7 and 8 respectively. 

49 minutes ago, lexicon said:

14 goals and 6 assists is a long way off 17 goals and 6 assists? Eh? And if he scores that pen, he's only two off?

Edit: Apologies, I see what you mean now. Ollie's numbers have been good this season, but in general he's not good enough if we want to go up another level. Also, if we did just look at numbers, he actually has one of the lowest goals per minute ratios out of most of the top scorers (only six worse than him in the top 25 scorers, and they're all midfielders/wingers - Saka, Maddison, Son, Eze, Mac Allister and Mbeumo): https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Edited by Tom13

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Nah, we need more players getting up to 10 goals, there are only 3 strikers with 20+ goals this season and they all take penalties.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

20+ goal contributions from your striker is absolutely good enough. In the PL Ollie is #10 for goal contributions. Only 3 strikers above him are Haaland,  Wilson, and Kane. 

The place for improvement is the support striker role. I highly doubt we have gotten 10 g+a from that position all season. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Rubbish. He's 5th in the league for % of goal contributions of total team goals. Only Kane Haaland Toney Rashford have better %s. 10th overall for goal contributions. That's with 11 games of rubbish Gerrard ball included

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I disagree. He’s done well this season. The main is issue is Danny Ings is still second highest scorer. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

20+ goal contributions from your striker is absolutely good enough. In the PL Ollie is #10 for goal contributions. Only 3 strikers above him are Haaland,  Wilson, and Kane. 

The place for improvement is the support striker role. I highly doubt we have gotten 10 g+a from that position all season. 

As I said in my other post, it's not just numbers I'm taking into account to say he's not good enough for the next level. He also has one of the lowest goals per minute ratios from the league's top 25 scorers.

Â